Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers

I just want to know if anyone else read these runs and thought they were the best books being written at that time? Everyone was worried about how Deadpool would be handled considering in his own book he was breaking the 4th wall, but Rick Remender wrote him perfect. Also, Jerome Opena' being the main artist mesmerized anyone who read the book with his attention to detail, but also his rendition of characters. We were all floored when he did the simple act of making Dark Angel/Apocalypse wings drag the ground like a cape. The story was grand and the readers felt at the time while they read the Dark Angel Story that they were reading a classic, and they were NOT wrong. But Remender ended his X-Force run and Marvel was so impressed they gave him a 3rd Avengers title. Uncanny Avengers. And there, Remender crafted a sequel better then the original. 27 issues story about the children of Apocalypse raised by Kang the Conqueror. A masterful story telling.

Extraordinary Member

While I think each run had it's problems, they do both hold up, especially X-Force.

And fuck it, AXIS is one of my favorite events.

i remember feeling as if Deadpool wasn't as annoying as usual. so it had that going for it. but i attribute this mainly to the art.

Incredible Member

100% agree.

While I remember I enjoyed Uncanny Avengers, I consider Remender's X-Force run to be one of Marvel's must reads/ have.

Yep, Ol' Remender irked me madly at times, but he wrote some greatness and had the pull to get some great artists on his work.

His Deadpool is my favorite version, genuinely funny and likable but could turn on a dime to be a menacing rotter!

I dipped in and out of his x-force along the way, I agree with you and Michael Watkins above that a lot of the love for that book comes from the stellar artwork of that first arc. His horsemen are the bestest EVA!, imo. He generally writes for the villains better than the heroes.

That shooting moment will forever haunt me!! ha, a genuine jump scare.

Uncanny Avengers - Yikes, where to begin!

That issue 14 was a freaking roller coaster within an issue, the most emotive, infuriating, captivating, engrossing, draining, giddy, rage inducing, fraught, tense issue that I've ever read. I punched a wall out fuck ...... just fuck, silly billy!

But I got over it, learnt some lessons, figured out that that's why comic fans have such a unique experience of consumption of their hobby, and I get that the long drawn out weeks between issues getting released causes angst to build within us. We get a bad rep even amongst our own, but they just haven't walked in our shoes. It takes a MAHOUSIVE amount of patience to enjoy these books at times while they are ongoing, and Rick Remenders long plots are a baptism of fire and brimstone.

So many stuff that I enjoyed in the run, but definitely things that I loathed too. His detachment to the characters was a blessing and a curse, and I got traces of an arrogance and sabotage towards Marvel in some of his interviews, but all's well that ends well.

I remember at the time Marvels chief saying that UA was telling stories of future movie possibilities, so that added to its scope too.

Extraordinary Member

I think what did Remender in was that bitterness. And it started in FrankenCastle, where he was sent death threats and fans were just mean. But it was also clearly cut short by Marvel. I remember that a lot of fans were initially skeptical of Uncanny X-Force because of it, even though FrankenCastle is one of my favorite arcs.

I was not a fan of AXIS. I was actually let down from Remender, but Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny Avengers, those 2 stories I've read over and over. I'm also a HUGE fan of Remenders other sequel from Uncanny X-Force he told in Secret Avengers. It ended the Deathlock Nation story, and human hybrid with A.I.. It was a sad ending. My favorite thing from AXIS tho, was how Remender voiced Doctor Doom. His one line after killing someone and another character making a comment and he told them something like. "Why should I care who I kill. Am I supposed to feel the same for every ant that I step on?" Uncanny Avengers blew my mind because I thought it was just well thought out. People always mention it being a sequel to Dark Angel Saga, but they forget how it's also a direct sequel to Final Execution. The ramifications to Wolverine killing his own son Daken. How the reason that the Uncanny Avengers lost to the Twins was because the team split up, and they split up because Wolverine killing his own son and using a hit squad to do it was the key factor. Then Daken being brought back from the dead and made one of the Four Horseman of Apocalypse. Characters were killed in Uncanny Avengers and it was in the mainstream 616. Captain America was brutally killed. That story took decades to fix. I knew nothing really about Kang, except from what I read on Wikipedia about him. How Remender wrote him, How he started his plan thousands of years before, existed for those thousands of years, and played puppeteer until he got what he wanted. Masterful. People don't realize the brilliance of that story until they actually sit back and consider all the actions Kang actually did in that story. Thousands of years. He was a perfect devil. planting seeds and ideas in characters heads so they did things that would effect things thousands of years later, and Kang would step in again, and plant another seed. Baiting Apocalypse to attack Thor. Faking himself as Loki so Thor used Jarnbjorn. Stealing it from a dead Baron Mordo. The same axe beig the weapon to open up a Celestial decades later so he could finally siphon the power for himself. Brilliant. Methodical. precise. Awesome.

Two of my favorite arcs in all of Marvel. I loved how UXF spilled over into UA. It really made UXF feel like it mattered and that the team let it get out of control to the point the whole world was affected, which is exactly what they were trying to prevent all along. I want to go back and give AXIS a second read, but at the time I remember I could just smell editorial mandates all over that book. Sure it had Remender's name on the cover but I didn't feel like he was the one actually writing.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.