Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Joker (2019) alleged script leak (warning: possible spoilers)

The film was also described as Taxi Driver meets Se7en meets The King of Comedy, but take this with a grain of salt, I don't know if its real or not, but tbh its kinda interesting.

>1980’s Gotham City.

>Arthur Fleck is a struggling standup comedian who moves back in with his ailing bipolar mother to take care of her.

>Arthur is a socially awkward introvert with a condition that causes him to laugh uncontrollably when nervous.

>Arthur’s stand-up routine sucks and he works part-time as a clown to cover expenses. One of his coworkers gives him a gun for protection after some punks assault Arthur.

>Arthur develops a crush on his neighbor Zazie Beetz, a single mom who works at a bank, and begins stalking her. She treats him well out of pity, which he misconstructs as genuine affection.

>Most of the movie is just Arthur slowly spiraling into insanity due to his shitty life and abusive mother. He also resents the wealthy.

>A recording of his shitty standup is shown and mocked on a popular late night talk show hosted by Robert De Niro.

>Thomas Wayne is the Mayor and people have been protesting against him for neglecting the poor masses.

>Arthur’s mother was once Thomas' secretary and tells Arthur during one of her maniac episodes that he is Thomas’ son.

>Arthur aggravates Thomas with his attempts to get close (stalking Thomas’ family at Wayne Manor, sneaking into a fundraiser and ambushing Thomas in the bathroom, etc.) and gets beaten and humiliated.

>Arthur gets into an altercation with three Wall Street types in the subway and kills them in clown getup, which becomes a symbol against the rich that oppress and abuse the poor.

>While Arthur away his mother has an episode and is sent to Arkham.

>Arthur catches Zazie with her boyfriend and makes a scene at the bank, calling her a whore and getting her fired, for which she cuts ties with him.

>Arthur finds out she was obsessed with Thomas but he never fucked her, so Arthur isn’t his son. He also learn she was aware her boyfriend was sexually abusing 4-year-old Arthur and let it happen.

>Arthur visits his mom in Arkham and kills her (off-screen).

>De Niro’s talk show tracks Arthur and invites him to a guest spot to roast him some more.

>Arthur embraces the identity of “Joker” and begins killing people who wronged him, though he spares Zazie.

>At the talk show, Joker calls for an uprising against the rich before shooting De Niro on live television.

>His speech triggers a citywide riot, during which Thomas and Martha Wayne get shot by one of his followers.

>Joker is chased by the police through the city, but eventually gets caught and arrested.

>Movie ends with Joker being committed to Arkham, so out of reality he “hears” the soundtrack (“That’s Life” by Frank Sinatra) and dances to it as the credits roll.

>Arthur does a lot of dancing in the movie. He dances with his mom, dances after killing the Wall Street guys, dances as he becomes the Joker, dances on the talk show, etc.

>Arthur dancing on the steps is to the sound of "Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John.

>Arthur only wears the full Joker costume in the third arc, roughly 30 minutes at most.

i don't like any of the incorporation of Thomas Wayne. but i'll live. rather that he was just playing the Joker in The Batman.

p.s. i don't buy Deniro as a talkshow host.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-04-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Spectacular Member

Apparently WB already screened this movie to some critics a few days ago, and the response was quite positive. Dark, creepy and sad were the words that mentioned, Phoenix just killed the role, no surprise there. And more thing, don't expect this movie to be like a typical CBM, no grand set pieces, no intense fight scenes. And lastly this movie will be a hard R, tons of F bombs, nudity/some sex scene and straight up gore

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This thing about critics is they LOOOOOVVVVEEEE Phoenix. Phoenix could sit in a chair reading the phone book for two hours and most critics would still want to give an Oscar.

Extraordinary Member

That plot sounds pretty terrible to me if true.

So while gotham was burning, the waynes took their kid to a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Sounds like something rich people would do. Well, except taking him to the movies they'd just have their own theater built in the mansion somewhere. But other than that, total rich people thing.

Eh.... I'm pretty sure this is one of those movies critiics will absolutely love, but I'll get bored with halfway through.

Still, I do sort of respect the fact that DC is trying different stuff with different characters. Sort of wish they weren't like 3-4 different versions of the Joker running around their movies though.

Astonishing Member

Sounds like a vehicle to try and win an Oscar, not actually be a big commercial hit.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Riots can happen in a snap. It could very well be that the Waynes took Bruce to a show at the same time as the broadcast of DeNiro's show.

That is, even assuming the movie has the Waynes taking Bruce to a show in the first place. The movie seems to be taking plenty of liberties with Bat-Lore (i.e. Thomas never had anything to do with the Joker's bad luck in mainstream comics), so removing the show seems like one of the smaller things they could do.

Astonishing Member

Saw the trailer and not interested in a theater experience. I'd wait till it finally migrates to basic cable.

BANNED

This sounds just awful enough to be true. Slightly off kilter and off balance at every point. I could totally see this happening. I could also see it being successful, sadly enough.

So is Joker going to be like Bane in the dark knight rises where he only pretends to want to stand for the poor and disenfranchised. Or is that seriously going to be his actual motivation? Anyway this doesn’t sound too bad abet in a super elseworldsy kind of way.

So once again we have the movies making Joker responsible for the death of the Waynes. Except this time, instead of Joker killing them personally, he just inspires a person to do it.

Still not hyped but I am not target audience I guess