View Poll Results: Are you excited for Dark Phoenix?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 35.19%
  • No

70 64.81%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Absolutely! I've been excited about this movie since it was announced. I've read the spoilers, seen the trailers, and recalled the failures of X3. By almost every measure, this movie is what X3 should've been. It's telling the story of the Phoenix Saga in the way it should've been told and it's ending the Fox era on a high note.

It's been frustrating, seeing some of the comments on this board and others. More than any other movie in recent history, people seem to have already made up their minds about this movie before the first trailer even came out. All their doing now is looking for excuses to justify it. I guarantee that nobody on this board will change their opinion or admit that they were genuinely surprised by how good the movie was. Some may claim that. I would doubt their sincerity because this movie has been a true case study in fans just clinging to their opinions and looking for excuses to justify them. They'll levy criticisms against this movie that they won't even bother with others.

They'll say Cyclops/Jean was underdeveloped, but not bat an eye when almost every major romantic moment between Pepper Potts and Tony Stark happened off-screen in the MCU.

They'll say the movie doesn't capture enough cosmic elements, but would probably complain that they distracted from Jean or were just a CGI spectacle if they were included.

They'll say the movie doesn't incorporate enough elements from the comics, but not bat an eye when Civil War or even Logan completely changes the outcome compared to the comics.

People are determined to hate this movie does so because they have an impossible standard that they know is impossible. They don't use it for any other movie, but they use it for this one because it's not in the MCU or under the creative control of Kevin Feige. They won't let the movie stand on its own or they'll use its circumstances (being developed during the Disney/Fox merger) to justify their attitudes. It's lose-lose. There's literally nothing this movie and those who made it could've done to meet these impossible and that's a shame because Kinberg has gone on record as saying X3 was a mistake. Now, he's trying to do it right and nobody is giving it a chance. How is that fair?

That's my rant. Bottom line is I'm excited for this movie. Spoilers and attitudes aside, I'm glad that the X-Men movies are going out on a high note.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This movie is not only written but is also directed (the first time he has directed ANYTHING I might add) by the same man who wrote two of the worst X-Men films already. Why should anyone have any faith in this project at all?!? He also wrote the screenplay for Fan4Stick.

The man is a good producer yes, but just being a good producer does not make you a good writer or director.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I won't see the movie in theaters, since it can't possibly improve on the original. But I will probably be first in line to stream the video when the time comes.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I'm definitely going to see it. It looks like it will be an amazing train wreck! Pretty much every mistake in X3 only this time there is a space shuttle too!
    I’m all for earned bashing, but let’s take one of the main fails of x3 as a comparison:

X3- jean is mentally ill (split personality disorder) and it comes out and makes her crazy
    DP- jean is hit by radiation while saving people in space and this triggers Phoenix powers (comic accurate)

That alone is a huge improvement, even if the rest is as bad as x3. I feel like some criticisms are completely unfounded but that people already have their mind made up despite the evidence.

Let me reiterate I’m not saying DP won’t be bad, but you can’t say it makes every mistake x3 did. This is factually Incorrect based on all information so far. At least be accurate in the criticisms. Huge pet peeve of mine.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This movie is not only written but is also directed (the first time he has directed ANYTHING I might add) by the same man who wrote two of the worst X-Men films already. Why should anyone have any faith in this project at all?!? He also wrote the screenplay for Fan4Stick.

The man is a good producer yes, but just being a good producer does not make you a good writer or director.
    I do agree with this.
    No idea why Simon Kimberg was given director position given his track record.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

I’m going Saturday night.
    First X-Lady

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    There's literally nothing this movie and those who made it could've done to meet these impossible and that's a shame because Kinberg has gone on record as saying X3 was a mistake. Now, he's trying to do it right and nobody is giving it a chance. How is that fair?.
    Because he has done nothing to earn our trust on it. If this movie is good, I'll tip my hat, but going in? I see the guy in charge as the worst offender (among a bunch of them) in the XCU. I can't be anything but wary of that.

Also, to another conversation....does it worry anyone that they included a clear signal about Phoenix in Apocalypse? If, indeed, this is now a separate entity the culminating scene against Apocalypse doesn't make a lot of sense. Then again....I'm expecting consistency and coherence. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Absolutely! I've been excited about this movie since it was announced. I've read the spoilers, seen the trailers, and recalled the failures of X3. By almost every measure, this movie is what X3 should've been. It's telling the story of the Phoenix Saga in the way it should've been told and it's ending the Fox era on a high note.

It's been frustrating, seeing some of the comments on this board and others. More than any other movie in recent history, people seem to have already made up their minds about this movie before the first trailer even came out. All their doing now is looking for excuses to justify it. I guarantee that nobody on this board will change their opinion or admit that they were genuinely surprised by how good the movie was. Some may claim that. I would doubt their sincerity because this movie has been a true case study in fans just clinging to their opinions and looking for excuses to justify them. They'll levy criticisms against this movie that they won't even bother with others.

They'll say Cyclops/Jean was underdeveloped, but not bat an eye when almost every major romantic moment between Pepper Potts and Tony Stark happened off-screen in the MCU.

They'll say the movie doesn't capture enough cosmic elements, but would probably complain that they distracted from Jean or were just a CGI spectacle if they were included.

They'll say the movie doesn't incorporate enough elements from the comics, but not bat an eye when Civil War or even Logan completely changes the outcome compared to the comics.

People are determined to hate this movie does so because they have an impossible standard that they know is impossible. They don't use it for any other movie, but they use it for this one because it's not in the MCU or under the creative control of Kevin Feige. They won't let the movie stand on its own or they'll use its circumstances (being developed during the Disney/Fox merger) to justify their attitudes. It's lose-lose. There's literally nothing this movie and those who made it could've done to meet these impossible and that's a shame because Kinberg has gone on record as saying X3 was a mistake. Now, he's trying to do it right and nobody is giving it a chance. How is that fair?

That's my rant. Bottom line is I'm excited for this movie. Spoilers and attitudes aside, I'm glad that the X-Men movies are going out on a high note.
    That is some magnificent debate there. "No True Scotsman" blended seamlessly with "poisoning the well". Obviously everyone who doesn't like this movie is clearly a shill for MCU and hated this the moment it was announced as ordered by God-Emperor Feige.

Want to know why people are saying Cyclops and Jean are underdeveloped? Because they've gotten almost zero time before this movie to create any kind of connection to the audience. Your comparison to Tony and Pepper is absurd. Iron Man was about... Iron Man. And was 99% him. Iron Man was not about Pepper, she's just part of his life. Dark Phoenix is ABOUT JEAN. But she's gotten almost nothing before this point.

Who in the world complains about too much CGI? That's literally 99% of the special effects in every MCU movie.

The complaints about plot changes are that this is 90% completely different from the comic. The only things similar are Jean, a space shuttle accident... and that's about it. Civil War didn't play out exactly like the comics, but it bent over backwards to make sure the general plot of it was maintained, including ham-handedly forcing Tony to be on the government's side because he was in the comics.

People are judging it out of some blind hatred for the X-movies: they're judging it based on what has been shown because what has been shown has not been very appealing. The costume design is bad. The current effects and poses look awkward and forced (they still haven't figured out levitating or flying with powers). The First Class Three are in the movie solely because they haven't developed anyone else. They're recycling the one gimmick that people loved from DoFP yet again. There's a lot to dislike.

I voted no. Everyone here has done a fantastic job of explaining why, but more than anything I just don't have faith that it's going to be a satisfying film, regardless of expectations.

Yes, I am! I can't wait to see it!
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 06-04-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    That is some magnificent debate there. "No True Scotsman" blended seamlessly with "poisoning the well". Obviously everyone who doesn't like this movie is clearly a shill for MCU and hated this the moment it was announced as ordered by God-Emperor Feige.

Want to know why people are saying Cyclops and Jean are underdeveloped? Because they've gotten almost zero time before this movie to create any kind of connection to the audience. Your comparison to Tony and Pepper is absurd. Iron Man was about... Iron Man. And was 99% him. Iron Man was not about Pepper, she's just part of his life. Dark Phoenix is ABOUT JEAN. But she's gotten almost nothing before this point.

Who in the world complains about too much CGI? That's literally 99% of the special effects in every MCU movie.

The complaints about plot changes are that this is 90% completely different from the comic. The only things similar are Jean, a space shuttle accident... and that's about it. Civil War didn't play out exactly like the comics, but it bent over backwards to make sure the general plot of it was maintained, including ham-handedly forcing Tony to be on the government's side because he was in the comics.

People are judging it out of some blind hatred for the X-movies: they're judging it based on what has been shown because what has been shown has not been very appealing. The costume design is bad. The current effects and poses look awkward and forced (they still haven't figured out levitating or flying with powers). The First Class Three are in the movie solely because they haven't developed anyone else. They're recycling the one gimmick that people loved from DoFP yet again. There's a lot to dislike.
    Also Iron Man clearly demonstrates that Tony and Pepper have known each other for quite some time, whereas the X-films show that Scott and Jean only just met in the previous film, and the development they should have had there was mostly edited out.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I thought the development of Scott and Jean's relationship in X-Men: Apocalypse was one of the strongest parts of the film. We get a clear sense of why they connect with each other, as they're both struggling with the fear that if they let down their guard they'll hurt someone.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I saw X2 in a theatre in South Africa for the first time. I literally got the chills, and continue to do so, every time I see that Phoenix raptor at the pre-credit scene. I was SO EXCITED for X3. I have never attained the same level of excitement for an X-film. X3 was a nightmare. I didn't even get those feels in Apocalypse, although it was great. For me, I don't know that I see the emotional pull that the developed relationship of James-Famke we saw with the nothing of Sophie-Tye. Maybe by the end of the film? But like, if the majority of the film is Jean losing it and going through the struggles, where is the time to showcase the love and relationship of her and Scott.

So long story short - I'm going in expecting another X3 and hope to love it but cognizant of how every other X movie since X2 has made me feel - underwhelmed.

Nope not going to see it. Won't give it money.

Astonishing Member

I voted yes because honestly excited it is finally out so we can move on to the relaunches of the X properties. The last few disappointments have locked me in as a no thanks for paying to see this in theaters.