View Poll Results: Are you excited for Dark Phoenix?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 35.19%
  • No

70 64.81%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default Are you excited for Dark Phoenix?

After many delays this film will finally come to the screens this week but i wanted to ask...
    Have you been expecting this movie?
    Are you hyped about it?

or for the contrary you couldn't care less or hate that this movie was done?

If possible please explain your answer.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 06-04-2019 at 08:14 AM.

BANNED

I'm not excited, but I'll definitely go see it. If nothing else than to see this awful version of Mystique die.

Also bringing popcorn to watch J Law's belated exit from the series.

Fassbender vs Turner is gonna be our Gojira vs King Ghidorah.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Nein.
    Deus vult.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

I've given up on the X-Franchise. They focus on the characters, whose actors are the most famous. Hell, they basically write films AROUND those characters, rather than writing a good story. I suspect before the script is written, writers get sent a memo: "Jennifer Lawrence has to have at least 60 minutes of screentime. She only agrees to wear makeup for three of those minutes, just so the audience does not forget it's jennifer Lawrence. Nicholas Hoult also wants only three minutes of makeup and prosthetics. He's not THAT big, so he's only getting 30 minutes of screentime. Michael Fassbender should not even be in this film, but he's a big name, so give him 80 minutes of screentime, acting all wishy washy, without any purpose."

No really. I don't like any iteration of the "past" characters, except Fassbender's Magneto.

BANNED

Only going to see it so I can fairly talk about how bad it (probably) is.

I’m excited for this franchise to be over.

I feel like we haven't even had a chance to get to know Jean and suddenly she is the focus and then the villain of a movie. At least in X1 and X2 Jean was given a bit more to do. In Apocalypse Jean didn't even get to show her power till the end of the movie. If they were going to do Dark Phoenix I feel like they needed one more movie, let Scott and Jean lead the team and end the movie with the space shuttle mission as a cliff hanger. Then you go to Dark Phoenix movie where the space shuttle accident happens. This way it gives some build up and makes you actually care about Jean.

Honestly, I hope MCU Marvel doesn't revisit this again, it's done to death and it's been done incorrectly. The should never have used Sebastian and Emma in First Class, they could have used Elias Bogan in the First Class movie instead. At the end of the Movie you could have an after credits scene where Sebastian Shaw takes over the Hellfire Club. In Apocalypse you could have Emma Frost being recruited to the Hellfire Club because Sebastian needs a telepath to find out what is going on with Apocalypse and Xavier. Then the movie after would have the X-Men go up against the new incarnation of the Hellfire Club, and if they want to have Emma go hero later they can make her conflicted when she goes up against the X-Men. I feel like they made a massive mistake and they should have left it up in the air a bit, is the Hellfire Club an enemy or potential ally for the X-Men. What are Sebastian's true motives.

Personally I like the back history stuff that filled in that Charles and Sebastian worked together for a time. That they both knew Tessa/Sage when she was still an Afghani guerilla fighter.

Sorry, I am rambling, I just feel that it's not really a Dark Phoenix story without Mastermind and the Hellfire Club. To me it's a redo of X3 with more focus on Jean this time to correct the mistakes of last time, and making the Phoenix an actual cosmic entity and not just an alternate personality of Jean.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

No, and that it's the best way of seeing it. But really, it's a redo of X3 by the same writer, now directing it. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was any good.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I feel like we haven't even had a chance to get to know Jean and suddenly she is the focus and then the villain of a movie. At least in X1 and X2 Jean was given a bit more to do. In Apocalypse Jean didn't even get to show her power till the end of the movie. If they were going to do Dark Phoenix I feel like they needed one more movie, let Scott and Jean lead the team and end the movie with the space shuttle mission as a cliff hanger. Then you go to Dark Phoenix movie where the space shuttle accident happens. This way it gives some build up and makes you actually care about Jean.

Honestly, I hope MCU Marvel doesn't revisit this again, it's done to death and it's been done incorrectly. The should never have used Sebastian and Emma in First Class, they could have used Elias Bogan in the First Class movie instead. At the end of the Movie you could have an after credits scene where Sebastian Shaw takes over the Hellfire Club. In Apocalypse you could have Emma Frost being recruited to the Hellfire Club because Sebastian needs a telepath to find out what is going on with Apocalypse and Xavier. Then the movie after would have the X-Men go up against the new incarnation of the Hellfire Club, and if they want to have Emma go hero later they can make her conflicted when she goes up against the X-Men. I feel like they made a massive mistake and they should have left it up in the air a bit, is the Hellfire Club an enemy or potential ally for the X-Men. What are Sebastian's true motives.

Personally I like the back history stuff that filled in that Charles and Sebastian worked together for a time. That they both knew Tessa/Sage when she was still an Afghani guerilla fighter.

Sorry, I am rambling, I just feel that it's not really a Dark Phoenix story without Mastermind and the Hellfire Club. To me it's a redo of X3 with more focus on Jean this time to correct the mistakes of last time, and making the Phoenix an actual cosmic entity and not just an alternate personality of Jean.
    I agree on many things with you. I like Jean on the spotlight but feels like she was just throw there without much thought. As you said this story depends on caring about her and her relationship and i honestly don't care about them on these movies.

Some details like the phoenix or space seem to be there just because. I really don't want this to hurt Jean but i feel like it will. It will burn people out of the dark phoenix saga (without doing it justice) and i fear that this could tire people and Disney of Jean and that would suck so bad.

I feel like both Jean and Scott haven't really gotten proper development. Do we actually care about them as the Fox movies have now presented them?

I cared about them more in X1 and X2 actually because they got to be front a center a bit more in those movies and I liked the actors who played Scott and Jean.

I am wondering when we go into Dark Phoenix are we actually going to feel attached to Jean and Scott, or is this all about Xavier and Erik again.

This is my true hope for MCU X-Men. I want the movie to start to with Xavier and Magneto outright missing and the X-Men have been disbanded for a while. I want Jean and Scott to be trying to rebuild the team so the movie starts out focussed on them. I wouldn't even mind if they do flashbacks to introduce some of the history instead of rehashing it. Heck have Jean and Scott recruit Emma who left the Hellfire Club to focus on being a teacher. Then you can take those three characters and build a movie around them. They can travel to Africa and bring Storm back into the team, and etc. etc. etc.

Very!

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think dark Phoenix is going to be some financial or critical darling. But later trailers have shown they are staying fairly true to the Phoenix origin, and that seems a good start. I think the second half will likely be a mess, but it’s the last main Fox-men movie so I’m here for the ride.

There’s plenty of room for improvement in the Fox-men but I’m Pretty easy to please-give me some good fight scenes and I’ll be entertained enough.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I feel like both Jean and Scott haven't really gotten proper development. Do we actually care about them as the Fox movies have now presented them?

I cared about them more in X1 and X2 actually because they got to be front a center a bit more in those movies and I liked the actors who played Scott and Jean.

I am wondering when we go into Dark Phoenix are we actually going to feel attached to Jean and Scott, or is this all about Xavier and Erik again.

This is my true hope for MCU X-Men. I want the movie to start to with Xavier and Magneto outright missing and the X-Men have been disbanded for a while. I want Jean and Scott to be trying to rebuild the team so the movie starts out focussed on them. I wouldn't even mind if they do flashbacks to introduce some of the history instead of rehashing it. Heck have Jean and Scott recruit Emma who left the Hellfire Club to focus on being a teacher. Then you can take those three characters and build a movie around them. They can travel to Africa and bring Storm back into the team, and etc. etc. etc.

This is a common complaint, and it’s not false- but a poster changed my mind when they pointed out that plenty of movies are capable of introducing and developing compelling characters within one movie. Will Fox Do this in dark Phoenix? Maybe not. But it’s definitely possible and I no longer think “proper development” is a necessary pre requisite for a good film. Let’s see how it stands on its own.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?