View Poll Results: Are you excited for Dark Phoenix?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 35.19%
  • No

70 64.81%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I’m all for earned bashing, but let’s take one of the main fails of x3 as a comparison:

X3- jean is mentally ill (split personality disorder) and it comes out and makes her crazy
    DP- jean is hit by radiation while saving people in space and this triggers Phoenix powers (comic accurate)

That alone is a huge improvement, even if the rest is as bad as x3. I feel like some criticisms are completely unfounded but that people already have their mind made up despite the evidence.

Let me reiterate I’m not saying DP won’t be bad, but you can’t say it makes every mistake x3 did. This is factually Incorrect based on all information so far. At least be accurate in the criticisms. Huge pet peeve of mine.
    Pretty sure Jean went Phoenix in X3 due to pushing her powers pass their limits in X2; not because she was mentally ill.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I’m all for earned bashing, but let’s take one of the main fails of x3 as a comparison:

X3- jean is mentally ill (split personality disorder) and it comes out and makes her crazy
    DP- jean is hit by radiation while saving people in space and this triggers Phoenix powers (comic accurate)

That alone is a huge improvement, even if the rest is as bad as x3. I feel like some criticisms are completely unfounded but that people already have their mind made up despite the evidence.

Let me reiterate I’m not saying DP won’t be bad, but you can’t say it makes every mistake x3 did. This is factually Incorrect based on all information so far. At least be accurate in the criticisms. Huge pet peeve of mine.
    Both films have Xavier being an ********* who suppressed her abilities and is now responsible for everything. Both films have Magneto and Mystique as major players in the Dark Phoenix Saga (I don't seem to remember them having any real role in the comic), both films have dark Jean manipulated into becoming some other character's lackey while they build her up with talk of how strong she now is (Magneto in X3, Jessica Chastain in DP.) and both shoehorned in an additional plot from a different X-Men comic storyline.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

OP Question - Nope, not in the least. Fearful perhaps but not excited.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I'm glad I'm not excited for it. I'll probably like it more if I go in with lowered expectations. As an OCD completist, I have to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Pretty sure Jean went Phoenix in X3 due to pushing her powers pass their limits in X2; not because she was mentally ill.
    This isn’t the case at all.

In x3 Xavier states that when jean was a child he locked jean’s Second personality behind psychic barriers.

After they recover her from alkali lake, Xavier and Logan stand before her in the med bay and Xavier says “I cant tel if the person before us is jean... or the being that refers to itself as ‘the Phoenix’”. This is as close to the quote as I can get without googling it, but I’m
    100% sure this is what he says.

There may additionally be some element of her just pushing her powers, but even then it has nothing in common with Dp which seems to say jean’s Powers re emerge due to the radiation in space.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Both films have Xavier being an ********* who suppressed her abilities and is now responsible for everything. Both films have Magneto and Mystique as major players in the Dark Phoenix Saga (I don't seem to remember them having any real role in the comic), both films have dark Jean manipulated into becoming some other character's lackey while they build her up with talk of how strong she now is (Magneto in X3, Jessica Chastain in DP.) and both shoehorned in an additional plot from a different X-Men comic storyline.
    You’re listing a lot
    Of similarities but the original quote is “everything is the same.” I just ask for accuracy and not over generalizing, is all.

Also Xavier seems to have locked away jean’s Memory of killing her parents, not the powers themselves, though to be fair neither can be confirmed from trailers alone. Let’s wait and see.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I'm not excited because:
    • The story isn't earned--I have no emotional investment in the newer characters, especially the central character of Jean Grey
    • Very tired of the Xavier/Magneto/Mystique/Beat show, even if we know Mystique dies pretty early in the movie
    • That Mystique is characterized this way and dies like this, and how this death is a big part of why Jennifer Lawrence signed on to be Mystique again, is a decent sketch of why I'm not emotionally invested in the older characters
    • Generally just very tired of Phoenix-related stories, and "Xavier was a jerk" stories, not taking into account how we've already seen a Phoenix movie that was predicated on Xavier being a jerk
    • An adaptation of the Dark Phoenix Saga without the Hellfire Club and the Shi'Ar is just sort of... undesirable, yes?
    • The previous X-Men film really buggered my good will and excitement for the franchise
    • Kinberg is pretty hit-or-miss as a writer and producer, so this being his first outing as a director doesn't have me feeling very optimistic

I wish it wasn't this way! Especially after the CompleX, I truly wanted the X-Men to go out on top! X-Men: Apocalypse was quite the blow, and then came all this, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

Okay, there are lot of assumptions here, especially when we haven't seen the movie yet. I read spoilers on the movie in April on SuperHeroHype, and spoilers on fourchan correspond with them and most of the things you point out aren't in the spoiler description of the new movie.

Both films have Xavier being an ********* who suppressed her abilities and is now responsible for everything.
    spoilers:
    Xavier doesn't suppress Jeans power in this movie, as shown by him telling her to unleash her power in Xmen apocalypse.
    The reason why Jean is angry with him is because he lied to her. Telling her that her father died in the accident that took her mother's life. His reason was to spare her from knowing that her father hates her for being a mutant and blames her for her mother's death)
    end of spoilers

Both films have Magneto and Mystique as major players in the Dark Phoenix Saga (I don't seem to remember them having any real role in the comic),

-mystique dies early in the movie, so she's not a major player. Iron man was neve a major player in infinity war. Star Lord has no connection to ego in the comics, winter soldier and scarlet witch were not the main causes for civil war, hulk never had a major role in Ragnarok, the ancient one is a man in Comics, Yon rogg wasn't that important to Carol Danvers, Hela has never broken thors hammer, malekith has never used the reality gem in Comics, Storm breaker is gold and belongs to beta ray bill. Magneto having a major role is just nitpicking at best.

both films have dark Jean manipulated into becoming some other character's lackey while they build her up with talk of how strong she now is (Magneto in X3, Jessica Chastain in DP.)

spoilers:
    spoilers have shown that she is not Chastains lackey. She is trying to convince Jean to join her crusade, she claims that she can help Jean handle the Phoenix power and is poisoning Jeans mind. The film also has things like Jean Stomping an army of aliens, quicksilver, Magneto, Xavier, reading minds all over the world, rebuilding her body, so to not going to be just talk about how powerful she is
    end of spoilers

and both shoehorned in an additional plot from a different X-Men comic storyline.

-but there is no additional plot of in this movie. This film is focusing on Jean dealing with being possessed with a cosmic force that she is not sure how to handle, there is no mutant cure storyline getting the focus here.

Yeah, most of my info is from unconfirmed spoilers, but most of your worries are assumptions. I don't think they're remaking The Last Stand. This movie feels completely different already

Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

i'm waiting for it to hit budget $5 night then maybe I will see it....the trailers look awful especially Storm using her lightning....but I can't stand Jlaw as Mystique

I really wished t obe excited about a movie that has Jean on the main role. But the casting was so bad on x-men movies.
    Also same guy that scripted last FF movie and the last stand doing the directorial debut

Nope, let it be over and pass.

No.

For a while, I was very pro X-Men films. I always saw them as the underdog. I wanted them to win. Heck, I always took their side in Marvel vs Fox debates, as I thought their films genuinely tried to do new things. I wasn't the biggest fan of Apocalypse, but I really liked that they seemed to end off the Charles/Erik/Mystique arc, and were setting up the younger cast, who were the best part of the movie, to take over.

Then we see clips and bits of Dark Phoenix and Charles, Erik and Mystique seem to be center stage again. Honestly, I feel like it's for the best that Marvels getting the X-Men. I never thought I'd say that before Dark Phoenix's first trailer. Fox obviously has no intention of using any of the X-Men characters that are actually central to the comics.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I really wished t obe excited about a movie that has Jean on the main role. But the casting was so bad on x-men movies.
    That's what makes this so painful. When she finally gets a chance it is wasted.

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

I'm very excited! I really like most of XCU and though I'll be sad to see it end, I'm excited to see it go out on what I hope is a high note!

Yaaaaaaaaaasssssss!!!!