Bleeding cool just ran a story about how DC has received word from on high to close down their Vertigo imprint. It is just a rumour but Bleeding Cool is normally correct about stuff like this. It's not massively surprising as they seem to have had trouble giving the imprint its own identity ever since Karen Berger left (I've long said, it should go back to its origins and do adult stories about DC's occult or more esoteric characters) but this is a huge deal. It was Vertigo that moved the medium forward in the '90s, that was home to some of the best and most innovative comics throughout the '90s and early 2000s and made the whole idea of selling graphic novels through major book chains a thing.

You know, all this talk about how Dan Didio is screwing up DC obscures the fact that no one has done more damage to DC than those several paygrades higher than him. From the Black Label "controversy" (adult content in adult comics, how dare they?!) to gutting DC's trade paperback and hardcover line to ending what is certainly the most acclaimed line of comics DC ever put out - I don't think people have to worry about whether Didio will still be at DC in two years because, at this rate, there won't be a DC Comics in two years! AT&T will keep something alive as a source for their IP but their hands-on approach to the comics side of DC is looking more and more like a culling of the entire division.

Am I the only one increasingly worried about the future of DC Comics?