Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As endless fandom debates can attest, ymmv on these
    For Superman it seems post-Crisis depends on the story, but it's not consistent enough for everyone
    Neither was the New 52 to be honest (and in my opinion).
    And definitely, nobody can do argue that Tim wasn't successful with a straight face. He and Jason just don't really do much for me, that's all.
    Bruce handling the baggage in often unheatlthy ways is unfortunately set in stone, but I could do without the tedious angst fests that Batman devolved into from the 80s onward in part due to stuff like TDKR, TKJ and Jason's death. I'd be happy with ditching the brat and his violent death altogether.
    I mean, even with all that baggage he's had healthy or stable periods. It just depends on the writer.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Cyborg. Well, at least bringing his history as a Teen Titan back.
    I'm with ya!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Neither was the New 52 to be honest (and in my opinion).
    Beyond Morrison, perhaps not. It's an inherently good idea though, IMO, and I think at least early in the New 52 did it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, even with all that baggage he's had healthy or stable periods. It just depends on the writer.
    yeah, but it seems we didn't have to rely as much on "depending on the writer" to get us through it before the baggage started piling up. Part of a natural consequence of a denser ongoing continuity coming about with the gradual darkening throughout the Bronze age I guess, but I still can't say I care for it and wish DC had done things differently.

I mean, there really is no way to make Batman look good (IMO) when a kid dies on his watch and recruits more. I know a lot of fans can roll with it and they paid lip service to the Tim situation being different, but I just can't. It takes me out of the escapist fantasy. Dick making it to a successful adult and his time as Robin being during a more fantastical era makes his time ok, but Jason kind of casts a pall on everything after him and even on Dick's tenure. I care more about Bruce's integrity than I do about Jason and Tim existing, but again IMO. I know few would agree.

Astonishing Member

I have to agree with Batman and Robin. Batman in the Justice League is fine, but he shouldn't be having Justice League scale adventures in his solo titles, he should be fighting criminals in Gotham (and they shouldn't all be psychopaths - and neither should Batman for that matter). The first season of Batman: The Animated Series got it right.

Robin was at his best when he was Dick Grayson and Dick Grayson was at his best when he was Robin. It was a mistake to age him up to college, and then have a succession of replacement Robins. Robin should be a character, not a job title.

Incredible Member

Agreed. Grayson’s unusual background, and particular skill set made him a unique addition as a crime fighter.
    After that, we just got a mean kid, then a smart kid. Nothing to make them relevant in that world. I do kinda like the little ninja, Damian, particularly when he interacts with Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I have to agree with Batman and Robin. Batman in the Justice League is fine, but he shouldn't be having Justice League scale adventures in his solo titles, he should be fighting criminals in Gotham (and they shouldn't all be psychopaths - and neither should Batman for that matter). The first season of Batman: The Animated Series got it right.

Robin was at his best when he was Dick Grayson and Dick Grayson was at his best when he was Robin. It was a mistake to age him up to college, and then have a succession of replacement Robins. Robin should be a character, not a job title.
    I'll pretend there's a 'Like' button here.
    (And no, we're not the same person.)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Definitely Batman. Like others have said get back to fighting criminals and solving crimes. Less big scheme focus and more criminal underworld style stuff. Make he “worlds greatest detective” actually detect stuff. Stop with all the angst and just get back to being a crime fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Katar Hol - none of this reincarnation nonsense. He goes back to being a policeman from Thanagar who travels to Earth and becomes the hero Hawkman.

And yes, I know you said ONE, but he brings his wife Shayera with him.
    I’m really behind when it comes to the character but the version of Hawkman that’s just a policeman from Thangar is my absolute favorite. I tried to follow a discussion about the character the other day and realized I was clueless about his current story.

Astonishing Member

Luthor.

I've come to really despise the post-Crisis take that Lex Luthor is a respected public figure. Give me the guy who was unapologetically a criminal.

No LexCorp. No puppet-master of Metropolis. No personal vendetta against Superman.

Just a two-bit arms dealer with a talent for building super-scientific stuff he uses to strong-arm cities, foment wars, etc.

Superman - let's go back to jumping, no flying and much lower strength levels.
    Batman needs to back to bat-man without the hyphen it just looses impact.

Cheshire - as more of a punch clock villain and less like the dragon lady stereotype she's been lately.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I’m really behind when it comes to the character but the version of Hawkman that’s just a policeman from Thangar is my absolute favorite. I tried to follow a discussion about the character the other day and realized I was clueless about his current story.
    Restoring the two distinct versions of the Hawks (resurrected lovers on Earth-2, space cops on Earth-1) and never again the two shall meet would be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Luthor.

I've come to really despise the post-Crisis take that Lex Luthor is a respected public figure. Give me the guy who was unapologetically a criminal.

No LexCorp. No puppet-master of Metropolis. No personal vendetta against Superman.

Just a two-bit arms dealer with a talent for building super-scientific stuff he uses to strong-arm cities, foment wars, etc.
    Yes, I have no use for public figure/evil businessman Lex. I'm not as familiar with the Golden Age version, but I love the Silver/Bronze age one and would love that take to come back. Post-Crisis Lex bores me to tears.

Veronica Cale fills the respected public figure niche, and especially since Rebirth, fills it much better. Helps that she doesn't have a more interesting old school counterpart to be compared with.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I say we take Black Lightning back to his roots. I'm talking waaaaaaaay back. That's right, it's time to bring in the BLACK BOMBER "It's C.P. time!"

/s
    That's got to be the most embarrassing story in comics
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Barry Allen (the Flash). No dying in CRISIS. No dead mother. No FLASHPOINT. Comic-loving, always-late CSI with a nerdy love for comic books gets the ride of his life when a bolt of lightning endows him with superspeed.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Lady Shiva, to get rid of that League of Assassins/Shadows baggage. No need to make her another Ra's al Ghul.