Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default ...deserves their rep.

There's a bunch of comic book creators out there and some get overblown.

Then there's some who really do deserve to be considered All That.

For me? Stan Lee (aka Stanley Leiber).

Whatever else you want to say about the guy, he absolutely remade superhero comics. If that wasn't enough, he made superhero comics a Pop Culture Force in western civilization.

Jack Kirby

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Will Eisner
    Bernie Wrightson
    Charles M. Schulz
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

All the ones that churned out page after page on time for minimal pay to no benefits or ownership of their own creation,
    then died suffering and destitute with little to no credit.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-05-2019 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Will Eisner
    Bernie Wrightson
    Definitely agree with those.

Also:
    Alex Toth
    Joe Kubert
    Frank Miller (yeah his work isn't as good as it once once, but it's still great - and a lot better than many give it credit for)
    Alan Moore - Most of his earlier work and some of is later work is incredible - and changed the industry (for the better IMO)
    Frank Quitely
    Tim Sale

Gardner Fox.

My man.

~ Bill Waterson
    ~ Geof Darrow
    ~ Dan DeCarlo
    ~ Masamune Shirow
    ~ Jose Gonzalez

Stan Lee
    Jack Kirby
    Alan Moore
    Joe Shuster
    Jerry Siegel
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    All the ones that churned out page after page on time for minimal pay to no benefits or ownership of their own creation,
    then died suffering and destitute with little to no credit.
    In the spirit of your post, I will add Bill Finger

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There's a bunch of comic book creators out there and some get overblown.

For me? Stan Lee (aka Stanley Leiber).

Whatever else you want to say about the guy, he absolutely remade superhero comics. If that wasn't enough, he made superhero comics a Pop Culture Force in western civilization.
    To me Stan Lee is the most overrated creator in comics history. He was an absolutely great pitchman for the company and it was his manic energy and promotion that helped push Marvel to succeed. But his role in creating was basically just throwing out ideas which Kirby and Ditko occasionally used while plotting and drawing the stories that made Marvel big in the 60's.

If there was an award for best all time CEO of a comics company then I give it to Stan Lee hands down. But nothing for the creative side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    To me Stan Lee is the most overrated creator in comics history. He was an absolutely great pitchman for the company and it was his manic energy and promotion that helped push Marvel to succeed. But his role in creating was basically just throwing out ideas which Kirby and Ditko occasionally used while plotting and drawing the stories that made Marvel big in the 60's.

If there was an award for best all time CEO of a comics company then I give it to Stan Lee hands down. But nothing for the creative side of things.
    Not to turn this into a Lee bashing thread but I remember reading an interview with Kirby and his wife when his wife asked the interviewer to name something that Stan created after Ditko and Kirby left Marvel.

Any way I add Marv Wolfman and Jim Shooter to the list
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 06-07-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Not to turn this into a Lee bashing thread but I remember reading an interview with Kirby and his wife when his wife asked the interviewer to name something that Stan created after Ditko and Kirby left Marvel.

Any way I add Marv Wolfman and Jim Shooter to the list

Oh and Christopher Priest
    It wasn't the creation of the characters. It was the jaunty style of dialog and the "realistic" life problems for the heroes. Also it was Lee who kept the whole Marvel Universe interconnected and made the books one continuing story.

To answer the question, Captain Marvel and Mephisto to name two.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-07-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It wasn't the creation of the characters. It was the jaunty style of dialog and the "realistic" life problems for the heroes. Also it was Lee who kept the whole Marvel Universe interconnected and made the books one continuing story.

She asked it not me, and I think her point was not many as to none. Also is there a difference between comic book creators and comic book writers. Dan Slott is a great comic book writer but can he be called a creator? And don't get me wrong I do think that Lee was hands down the best editor and chief in comics and that his promotion and guidance is what made them what they are today.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

The term creators usually refers to writers and artist. If it is being used here as only people who create the characters then a lot of the names mentioned have to be explained.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

And Daredevil with Bill Everett, Kingpin with John Romita, Iron Man with Don Heck....