Mighty Member

Default MASS-DESTRUCTION of comics in house fires, floods etc?

Has this ever happened to you or anyone you know?

My brother and sister had a housemate who had a small messy room full of comics boxes. One day he left his heater on and caused a lot of damage to the side of the house with the other occupants having to move out. There were burnt comic panels blowing about when I walked around the site a year later...

Len Wein and William Messner Loebs had some serious fire damage and I was reading a GN about someone losing their stash in Katrina 2005.

What's YOUR horror story?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Flooded basement ate a few short boxes, mostly ones I had no attachment for but also one that contained my entire Runaways collection (which I am a huge fan of). The only time I've ever re-bought single issues was to replace it. Unfortunately the show was announced around this time, so the individual issues became more expensive than I would have liked.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Incredible Member

Had a fire in my house while I was in college. Lost a lot of my comics and books that I had collected. Have almost nothing that goes back past '85.

Frozen pipe that I didn't know about til the first time I went o water my lawn. Sprayed water all over about a dozen boxes of comics I had in the basement for ten minutes before I realized. Because the comics were bagged and boarded and on a table most of the damage was confined to the long boxes themselves.