Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To protect the quality of the thing you like and that is not difficult of a concept to understand. I actually like Predators and The Predator but they are clear quality issues and given a choice between doing something right and not doing right and putting out decent some of us would pick not doing it. The final episode of Lost and Game of Thrones did nearly unfixable damage to franchise. Think about that one or two episode mess up perception on 7 great seasons. Sometimes ending while your ahead or not putting out something is better for a project.

Give the franchise a break, Wipe the slate clean, Tell your strongest story with threads to put in to build out for the future. If doesn't work maybe your franchise is not a "franchise".

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    To protect the quality of the thing you like and that is not difficult of a concept to understand. I actually like Predators and The Predator but they are clear quality issues and given a choice between doing something right and not doing right and putting out decent some of us would pick not doing it. The final episode of Lost and Game of Thrones did nearly unfixable damage to franchise. Think about that one or two episode mess up perception on 7 great seasons. Sometimes ending while your ahead or not putting out something is better for a project.

Give the franchise a break, Wipe the slate clean, Tell your strongest story with threads to put in to build out for the future. If doesn't work maybe your franchise is not a "franchise".
    But giving the franchise a break doesn't protect the quality of the franchise, because the quality of no films is, well, no quality at all. And just retelling the strongest story again, aka remake, always leaves people saying "well, it wasn't as good as the original." And yes, these are franchises, them surviving or not on your plan isn't proof of whether or not they were ever franchises to start with, but rather an indication that such a "Let's not make movies anymore except remakes which are far and few between" is more of a plan to kill franchises. Basically, it's an argument against franchise films in the first place. And many of us like having franchise series.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Wiping the slate clean is the laziest thing to do. I don't see the appeal of being retold the same story with a new coat of paint.

AVP Requiem was horrible. waste of my money in the theater. I really don't care to see earth-based versions of this conflict anymore.

part of the challenge is the tone of the film- do you go with the shadows and claustrophobia of the first Alien? Or the at-war action of Cameron's part 2?

with both creatures, what they are, how they function, is not a surprise anymore. So that is an additional issue, familiarity.

Do you have likable characters? Do you have human villains? Do you make them obvious or do you include betrayals?

I don't feel like being bothered with finding out exactly who the space jockey is now. That's done for me. Go somewhere else entirely.

I don't see a realistic way of bringing Ripley back except to just blatantly ignore all the previous sequels including Alien 3, and just say Ripley was writing fiction based on her experiences.. Who knows.

iMan 42s

The issue to me with AVP is the Alien part of the franchise. Alien constantly searches for the new Ripley or tries to get her back and that makes it hard to work around what is effectively an ensemble film. The Predator franchise is a bit more fluid and simply doesn't have a through-line with a character, Alien does and it basically worked itself into a corner. It really doesn't know what to do if it doesn't have a "Ripley". If you ask me, cut Ripley and any stand-in from the film entirely.

There are directions for a film to go;
    -Manhood ritual with the symbolism of the Alien
    -Knight slaying a dragon to rescue a "princess" (whatever the Predator comes to actually do)
    -An adaptation of the 1990's comic
    -A film based solely around the Predator's perspective (something we know has been talked about)
    -A prequel of the events to AVP 2004 (we know of a hunt prior to the film, not what happened to those involved)
    -An origin for Wolf and how he got his acid burn
    -The first meeting between Engineers and Predators
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The issue to me with AVP is the Alien part of the franchise. Alien constantly searches for the new Ripley or tries to get her back and that makes it hard to work around what is effectively an ensemble film. The Predator franchise is a bit more fluid and simply doesn't have a through-line with a character, Alien does and it basically worked itself into a corner. It really doesn't know what to do if it doesn't have a "Ripley". If you ask me, cut Ripley and any stand-in from the film entirely.

There are directions for a film to go;
    -Manhood ritual with the symbolism of the Alien
    -Knight slaying a dragon to rescue a "princess" (whatever the Predator comes to actually do)
    -An adaptation of the 1990's comic
    -A film based solely around the Predator's perspective (something we know has been talked about)
    -A prequel of the events to AVP 2004 (we know of a hunt prior to the film, not what happened to those involved)
    -An origin for Wolf and how he got his acid burn
    -The first meeting between Engineers and Predators
    I think the problem is less Ripley now (it was only a problem in the 4th film wanting to bring her back) and more the prequels being a freaking nightmare (and not the kind you want from a horror movie franchise). Just leave the people responsible for Prometheus and Covenant far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far away from these movies and you might get something good again.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think the problem is less Ripley now (it was only a problem in the 4th film wanting to bring her back) and more the prequels being a freaking nightmare (and not the kind you want from a horror movie franchise). Just leave the people responsible for Prometheus and Covenant far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far away from these movies and you might get something good again.
    Unfortunately it seems Ridley Scott may be coming back for the third prequel that will inevitably answer none of the major questions surrounding them. So we can be prepared for more religious naval gazing that doesn't go anywhere. But we might get a proper Alien this time.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Disney owns these IP's, yes?

Well, their track record of reworking established IP's is off to less than stellar start (Star Wars). They have stated giving SW a "hiatus" after the next movie.

Perhaps they will look upon the Aliens-verse & decide to give it a go? I'm sure they want to push more than princess/pirates/superheroes, yes?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Alien leans on sci-fi horror so I don't see Disney giving it a big push.

Unfortunately it seems Ridley Scott may be coming back for the third prequel that will inevitably answer none of the major questions surrounding them. So we can be prepared for more religious naval gazing that doesn't go anywhere. But we might get a proper Alien this time.
    God damn it Ridley Scott! It's like George Lucas, why do the original creators returning to make prequels always wind up with the franchise going to ****? What is it that makes them in their later years want to add a bunch of crap that lessens and destroys what they did in their younger years? Is it a kind of high functioning senility?
    ****, I'm not watching the third prequel, fool me twice and all that. Hell, I still am not entirely sure what happened in Prometheus beyond getting bored and confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Alien leans on sci-fi horror so I don't see Disney giving it a big push.
    Just food for thought H2O was released by a subsidiary of Disney at the time. So while the Alien Queen won't be welcomed at the Magic kingdom I doubt they'd also wouldn't push a new series also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Just food for thought H2O was released by a subsidiary of Disney at the time. So while the Alien Queen won't be welcomed at the Magic kingdom I doubt they'd also wouldn't push a new series also.
    Yeah, Disney is definitely interested in pushing it's new properties to make profit I'm sure, they just won't directly tie it to their "Disney" brand. But they'll still push out some Alien and Predator stuff through one of their subsidiaries, they'd be stupid not to.

iMan 42s

Let's be clear first.

Disney and Fox are interested in the Alien and Predator brand with talks of an Alien Prequel from Ridley Scott and potentially an Aliens Prequel from James Cameron. Talks of Alien 5 have been swirling and nobody really knows how dead it is.
    Predator is making its foray into videogames on Playstation and it doesn't seem like any executive is really worried about it with merchandise and of course the two games being exclusive to a Sony console.

Alien is in talks for direction, and Predator production has been laid back pretty much as it's always been.

On the subject of crossovers, we wont see them for a time because of Ridley Scott and if they pickup Alien 5 or the Prequel to Aliens. Fox needs to clear it's existing slate first and unfortunately Ridley Scott was first in line (probably as a side-effect of getting him on Merlin). But since both franchises did decently enough and there is a demand on top of Fox and Disney not wanting to let those properties lapse (and getting shown in the sizzle reel for franchises Fox is interested in pursuing) we simply have to be patient.

Edit; Hulu is officially where the R-rated fox assets will be going and AVP 2004 was PG-13 like the Marvel movies. It's up in the air currently if AVP will be on Disney+ or if it will go to Hulu. So chances are decent that some Alien and Predator content will end up on a Disney service.
    Last edited by SuperiorIronman; 06-05-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Disney and Fox are interested in the Alien and Predator brand with talks of an Alien Prequel from Ridley Scott and potentially an Aliens Prequel from James Cameron.
    Damn, one director I've lost all faith in with this franchise (Scott) and one that really excites me (Cameron). Not sure how to feel, other than conflicted.