Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default What do you like about DC over Marvel?

There has been a lot of discussion recently on the apparent editorial misdirections of DC.

However, as someone just getting back into comics, I would like to know what it is you like about DC over Marvel? I have trouble finding the words.

For me, Doomsday Clock #10 captured what I like about DC. The Meta-ness of continuity and crises and the multiverse. It touches on real advancements of the comic medium in my opinion. I mean in the variant cover of the comic book it is literally a kid reading a comic book (joyous nostalgia) with a Character from the book you are holding on the cover of the kids comic book - representing him actually intervening in that kids comics book. I love it!

Further more, I just love Batman ( have not read king. will not read king.)

Overall I somehow buy into the mythos of DC - the source wall, the Green Lanterns, the Multiverse, the Dark Multiverse (lol) etc.

With Marvel and the Avengers and Thanos I just can not bring myself to care or watch the movies. That said loving Immortal Hulk. I like some Marvel characters but overall from a Universe point of view I do not care.

What do you like about DC?

Empty is thy hand!

Used to be the legacy aspect, before that was chucked. And the multiverse, before they gave it to Snyder.

Now it's all just IP in service of major motion pictures.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

A couple of reasons.

1. I feel like DC characters each inhabit a particular corner of the world and you can get lost in it without ever feeling like you're missing something by not overlapping with the broader universe. Superman all over the world, in space, on New Krypton or Kandor; Diana with the Greek Pantheon; Flash with the twin cities, the Speed Force, alternate timelines; GL with the guardians and different alien civilizations; Bruce with Gotham; Aquaman with Atlantis; etc. Most of everyone at Marvel is in New York. It's cool to have the "real world" feel to it, but it doesn't really ring true. It's cool if a Marvel character gets pizza in Bedstuy or something but I'm not under any illusion we inhabit the same world with hundreds of super-powered beings flying around. So the environments are less creative than DC.

2. The heroes are more, well, heroic. Marvel characters tend to in-fight a lot, and while that goes hand in hand with a lot of X-Men stories about persecution (which I like), there's less time for more heroic world-saving, and generally less of them serve as exemplary characters for the rest of us to look up to. While I understand a big part of the appeal is a relateable flawed character, a lot of Marvel characters take it so far. They have utterly depressing afflictions and addictions and petty squabbles that get in the way of what makes them beyond ordinary. And often times, the characters become married to those flaws in a way that doesn't allow them to grow. I prefer my heroes to be special because of their character first, before their power set. Ordinary people with powers and heroes aren't necessarily the same thing.

3. The mythological aspect. There's a poetry and a thematic brilliance to the way DC characters are created and re-interpreted. They are legends made flesh. Modern writing over several decades has humanized them to varying degrees, but they inhabit both roles quite well. They have families and fears and interests outside of superheroing, so we can relate to an enjoyable extent, but they are also larger than life archetypes that invoke a strong sense of wonder. Superman's origin is a part of the fabric of this country's history at this point. Batman is an amalgamation of classic characters throughout literary history.

4. Flat out more memorable stories. Marvel has plenty of great runs and famous events, but in terms of definitive stand-alones DC has too many to count. The Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, New Frontier, Red Son, Longbow Hunters, The Long Halloween, Swamp Thing, Arkham Asylum, Judas Contract, Justice, GL Rebirth...I could go on and on. I haven't delved as much into Marvel so I can't claim complete knowledge, but I'm fairly familiar, and from what I can see, DC can match Marvel run for run, and crushes it when it comes to definitive stories.

5. The legacy aspect is cool too. Not much else to say beyond that. DC is always rebooting but that sense of history and family among newer generations of heroes makes it feel really special.

Don't know, just something about the world and characters that appeal to me more. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, all seem somehow more grand and authentic to me at the same time, as little sense as that makes. They just resonate better with me for whatever reason I can't put my finger on. Just as long as they don't push the legacy aspect to hard it's a world I can really get in.

They're about even to me.
    I have fave characters in both that are either largely ignored or mishandled.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Nothing in particular if I'm being honest, in fact I think I have more grievances with DC than I do with Marvel. Which is odd because I tend to pull more DC than Marvel even though I'm often more disappointed with DC. I think part of it comes down to being raised more on DC properties than Marvel ones. Batman TAS, Justice League, Justice League Unlimites, Teen Titans, etc so it was an easier jumping on point for me. Honestly I got honey potted into reading DC if I think about it, saw a black Robin so I started reading the actual books not just wikis, then I just ended up investing in DC before I got to Marvel books. I''ve been slowing moving toward an equilibrium and will probably end up leaning more Marvel eventually because those characters tend to resonate with me more than DC as of late.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I guess if I had to throw out the main reasons:

- The genuine sense of legacy (even if DC is pretty bad about that now).

- The genuine sense of family within each franchise (although, again, DC isn't as good about that as they were).

- The cartoons/animated movies.

- The sheer grand scope of the DC cosmology and history.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Superman and the Justice League!

DC has more philosophical stories than Marvel
    DC's Speedsters are greater than Marvel's
    DC has more weird and cool crossovers with the other comic book companies
    DC has Green Lantern

and bad things about DC
    DC sucked at its old history with New52
    DC isn't fully qualified as Marvel is
    DC hasn't Spider-man

BANNED

I actually prefer Marvel but DC has all the best artists working there these days, so there's that

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Arkham inmates, which are the most interesting and complex villains, no competition.

I don't particularly favor one over the other. I've always bought books from both companies since I was a kid. Sometimes I lean more one way than the other because of the quality of books or whatnot. They both have plenty to offer. Even though, Marvel definitely sucks more right now.
    My favorite characters are Batman and The Silver Surfer. I like different things from both companies.
    Batman - Daredevil

The icons historical significance is now the only remaining edge that DC has. And that too is fading as the icons of the future are definitely the MCU characters

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Superman and the Justice League!
    This.

I just like everything about DC much more than Marvel. The superheroes feel like bigger than life. They really mean something. The mythology is epic and grand. I also like the supporting cast a lot. They help humanize the superheroes. Lois Lane alone can have her own show as far as I'm concerned. She's that awesome.

Boisterously Confused

There is a heritage to DC that nothing from Marvel (except Sub-Mariner and Captain America) can match. The reboots and recons can't take that away.