Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seriously, if I had a dollar every time a superhero fan said this about someone who wrote a character in a way they didn't like I'd be rich enough to buy DC comics.
    If I can work that deal out for you, will you greenlight Roy Thomas' completion of All-Star Squadron as he originally envisioned it?

Oh yeah: and fix Hawkman and Donna Troy?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I think with the exception of the 60s, DC always had better comics than Marvel.
    I had the chance to buy the Marvel Comics Group in the 1960s, but after trying out a few issues, I decided it wasn't for me. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby might be okay, but National Periodical Publications had Carmine Infantino, Gardner Fox, John Broome, Edmond Hamilton, Curt Swan, Kurt Schaffenberger, Sid Greene, Gil Kane, Murphy Anderson, Otto Binder, Leo Dorfman, E. Nelson Bridwell, Mike Sekowsky, Bob Oksner, Arnold Drake, Wayne Boring, Sheldon Mayer, Sheldon Moldoff, Joe Giella, Joe Kubert, Jim Shooter, Cary Bates, Jim Mooney, Irv Novick, George Papp, Al Plastino, Ramona Fradon, Bob Haney, Dick Dillin, Frank Robbins, Stan Kaye--plus reprints of Bill Finger, Dick Sprang, Charles Paris, Lew Sayre Schwartz, Alvin Schwartz, Mort Meskin, Jack Kirby, Jerry Siegel, Alex Toth, John Forte, Jerry Robinson, Win Mortimer, David V. Reed, William Woolfolk, Dave Wood, Jack Burnley .

Do I wish I had bought more of those Marvels? Kind of, since they would be worth something. But I loved my DC books so much back then that they got torn to shreds from reading each hundreds of times and they aren't worth a darn thing now, except for all the hours of enjoyment they gave me.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I know more DC characters thanks to Scribblenauts Unmasked, but I wanted to take a break from DC and try and get into Marvel again. Reason being I like Black Panther and Falcon...

DC has the Justice League.

While I currently think Marvel's comics and movies are doing better, overall, DC has more characters that I love. I like a lot of Marvel characters but the X-Men are the only ones that I'm attached to as much as I am to, say, the Bat and Super families or the Teen Titans. Or even individual heroes like Vixen and Black Lightning.

I may currently prefer Marvel but that's only because I don't like the current direction that DC is going in right now.

Yeah, it's the characters. I just feel more attached to them. I've got uninterrupted runs of Green Lantern and Flash and the Legion going back decades. I've got some holes in my Batman/Superman/Justice League/Titans collection, but it's sizable. With Marvel, I jump on and off books based on creatives teams. I mean, I'm loving Immortal Hulk, but I only started buying it because of the incredible word of mouth -- and prior to it, I hadn't bought a Hulk comic since Peter David. Once Ewing leaves, I can't imagine I'll keep up with it.

I enjoy Marvel, I just love DC.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

TBH, I reading DC comics over Marvel mainly because I first reading comics was Superman and new52..,......
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I had the chance to buy the Marvel Comics Group in the 1960s, but after trying out a few issues, I decided it wasn't for me.
    I figured out pretty quick that you meant individual comic books, but for a second and a half there, I thought you were saying you had the chance to buy out the company. "Jim can't be that old, can he?" I thought. Haha!

[QUOTE=Agent Z;4396182]DC hasn't used the American Way in decades and truth and justice are things spouted by Marvel characters as well, namely Captain America.[quote] Yeah, and Marvel is very self-aware about trying to avoid the potential appearance of jingoism and imperialism with Captain America as well. The whole patriotism angle to both Superman and Captain America is overblown compared to how important it actually is. Granted, for Cap, it's impossible to truly extract the potential for jingoism from him, but it's easy enough to avoid any actual imperialistic tendencies. But with Superman, well, he's regarded as a patriotic symbol because his popularity came out in a very patriotic age, but like Captain America, a well-written Superman is well aware of the gap between the American Dream and the American Reality, and owes his allegiance to the best ideals of the US, whether we live up to them or not.

Seriously, if I had a dollar every time a superhero fan said this about someone who wrote a character in a way they didn't like I'd be rich enough to buy DC comics.
    For sure.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

To answer the original question, I just like the DC characters more and am more invested in them. At this point in time there are no Marvel characters I am interested in. While DC has Catwoman, Supergirl, Batman,
    Wonder Woman, Superman, Flash, Aquaman, Black Lightning, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Riddler, Penguin, Joker, Black Manta and many others for me.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Cyborg. Nuff said.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Superman
    Batman
    The Flash
    Doom Patrol
    Swamp Thing

I just think they have way better characters.

Oh and DC doesn't have 10 million X-Men books, which is a huge bonus.

Also, DC are (usually) more experimental with their books.

Swamp Thing, Animal Man, The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Sandman, Hellblazer, Preacher, The Enigma, The Extremist, Mister Miracle, Dial H, Army@Love - They do great mad things.

Marvel have the occasional thing like The Vision or Miller's Daredevil, but they're few and far between by comparison.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think he meant it like that.

DC DOES have the better roster. They WON'T use it properly because someone is so catch up on this lantern has to be the ONE, there can only be ONE flash, this batgirl is toxic and Titans make EVERYONE look old.

We are PAST the Cyborg doing man versus machine stories.
    We are PAST John Stewart blew up planets.
    We are PAST there can only be ONE Lantern SCREW the rest.

Folks are tired of stuff like Heroes in Crisis and whatever depressing event is tossed out there.

They just want stories without the baggage of behind the scenes nonsense.
    They don't care about Barry & Hal being the ONE as long as the OTHERS get treated with respect.
    They want this company to EMBRACE what outside comic book store success has gotten them.

Not this mess we are seeing now.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I figured out pretty quick that you meant individual comic books, but for a second and a half there, I thought you were saying you had the chance to buy out the company. "Jim can't be that old, can he?" I thought. Haha!
    No, only in my dreams of avarice could I be so rich. I was only being sentimental, because the name on the cover of all the comics was "Marvel Comics Group." Which was a rather odd turn of phrase. However, that wasn't the name on the inside indicia--it was Non-Pareil Publishing Corp. Imagine if I had said that I could have picked up Non-Pareil Publishing Corp. comic books from the spinner racks back in the 1960s--nobody would know what the Sam Hill I was talking about.

Each comic book company had one identity on the cover and then a different identity on the inside indicia. It said DC-National Comics-Superman in the bullet on the cover--and when I first started reading, there were Go-Go Checks--but it was National Periodical Publications, Inc., on the indicia. And Gold Key was actually Western Publishing. "Marvel Comics Group" gave them a specific identity, because they were a group--like the Mommas and Poppas were a group, the Monkees were a group, the Supremes were a group--they weren't a corporation. Yet, in fact, they were. I had no notion that the same group of iconoclasts, that published THE MIGHTY THOR and NOT BRAND ECHH, was in the next door office putting out SWANK and STAG.

Spectacular Member

As a kid I was all about DC because I grew up with their animation, but as I get older I think I'm more into Marvel. I'm starting to feel like Batman is the center of DC comics to the point where no one else in that universe matters (as much at least), and it's a turn-off.

Incredible Member

I just find Marvel to be a very cynical, exploitative company.

I'm sure others feel that way about DC but since the 90s my own feeling is that Marvel take no pride in their work.