Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The icons historical significance is now the only remaining edge that DC has. And that too is fading as the icons of the future are definitely the MCU characters
    Nah, they're pop culture icons, but I don't consider them on the same level. They don't represent fundamental forces of nature or philosophical concepts in quite the same way.

It's not all they have left, either.

Astonishing Member

I like that they don’t seem to be pooling everything into the movies.

BANNED

Classic Vertigo. I loved the sandman universe, Lucifer, daytripper etc etc. But now... I guess the dreaming is still good

Because DC has Batman. When I started reading, I think DC had more respect to legacy, but I'm not so sure about that these days.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I think with the exception of the 60s, DC always had better comics than Marvel. I know a lot probably won't agree with that statement.

DC just has unique stories you won't find at Marvel.

For example titles like Jonah Hex and Enemy Ace, what other comic book has the main protagonist be a Nazi pilot?

You have unique titles like Metal Men, where they fight weirdo villains like the Missile Men and Chemo, you won't find stuff like that at Marvel. One of the best Metal Men stories is one where they travel to a world where female robots have taken over and turned all the male robots into slaves, just weird unexpected stuff like that is what I enjoy about DC.

Or what about the Harley Quinn story where she goes to hell and Martian Manhunter and Zatanna has to save her? That is one of the best DC stories ever, but it just goes under the radar because it's so.....weird and unexpected. You just don't find stories like this at Marvel. Yes, I know Wolverine and a whole bunch of X-Men went to hell too but that's different, when it happens to them it's just not the same.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 06-06-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Nah, they're pop culture icons, but I don't consider them on the same level. They don't represent fundamental forces of nature or philosophical concepts in quite the same way.

It's not all they have left, either.
    I mean, it's kinda too early to tell but as film continues to drive and dominate a lot of popular culture more and more as time goes on, it's not really a stretch to say MCU could meet and overtake DC's characters (mainly the trinity) in pop culture relevancy. DC didn't really become iconic in the wider pop culture landscape until, at earliest, like the 70s and even then if too decades of building to reach it's apec and cement that status; meanwhile the MCU has reached a cultural frenzy exceeding the likes of Star Wars. Given the meteoric rise, give it a couple decades and I can't say DC can really say they can hold that iconic status exclusively. Thor, Black Panther, Ironman, and Captain America all have started to become people's context for the same or similar philosophical concepts DC's icons does for other generations, even some that Batman and Superman can't encapsulate. Will they be iconic in the same way as DC? No, because DC has come to represent sensibilities that don't exactly gel as well with the sensibilities and values of today. Iconography is often a game of branding, and the Marvel brand has been absolutely brolic this last decade or so.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I mean, it's kinda too early to tell but as film continues to drive and dominate a lot of popular culture more and more as time goes on, it's not really a stretch to say MCU could meet and overtake DC's characters (mainly the trinity) in pop culture relevancy. DC didn't really become iconic in the wider pop culture landscape until, at earliest, like the 70s and even then if too decades of building to reach it's apec and cement that status; meanwhile the MCU has reached a cultural frenzy exceeding the likes of Star Wars. Given the meteoric rise, give it a couple decades and I can't say DC can really say they can hold that iconic status exclusively. Thor, Black Panther, Ironman, and Captain America all have started to become people's context for the same or similar philosophical concepts DC's icons does for other generations, even some that Batman and Superman can't encapsulate. Will they be iconic in the same way as DC? No, because DC has come to represent sensibilities that don't exactly gel as well with the sensibilities and values of today. Iconography is often a game of branding, and the Marvel brand has been absolutely brolic this last decade or so.
    And what are these sensibilities?

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

No, because DC has come to represent sensibilities that don't exactly gel as well with the sensibilities and values of today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And what are these sensibilities?
    Truth, Justice, and the American Way. . ?
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

The villains
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

This is very true, Captain America is the Superman of this generation.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This is very true, Captain America is the Superman of this generation.
    That's the clear one. Pure force for good, selfless paragon, patriotic symbol. Very similar. But Batman and Wonder Woman? I don't think Marvel has caught up there. Wonder Woman is the icon for feminism in fiction, and Batman is still a creature of the night who encapsulates everything mysterious and desirable in a human being.

Marvel has made great gains, don't get me wrong, but I'd say many of these actors are memorable for their portrayals by certain actors, and don't stretch to represent anything more in the public consciousness.

Superman?

Superman came and became an instant pop culture phenomenon. He got animated serials, radio and TV shows, and started the superhero genre. Then came Batman and Wonder Woman. Both with hugely popular TV shows. Everybody and their mother knew who they were. They represented truth and justice and love.

Marvel is very popular now, but Superman is still the most iconic superhero. Almost all the time when someone is pretending to be a superhero, it's Superman they are imitating more or less.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 06-07-2019 at 07:32 AM.

What bothers me is that they are doing it with things that DC *should* have been better at. But instead of embracing the heroic ideal they hired someone who felt it should be mocked.

BANNED

Batman
    10char

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Truth, Justice, and the American Way. . ?
    DC hasn't used the American Way in decades and truth and justice are things spouted by Marvel characters as well, namely Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What bothers me is that they are doing it with things that DC *should* have been better at. But instead of embracing the heroic ideal they hired someone who felt it should be mocked.
    Seriously, if I had a dollar every time a superhero fan said this about someone who wrote a character in a way they didn't like I'd be rich enough to buy DC comics.