Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Masakado This Japanese woman wields a katana. Other than that, she's nothing like Katana. She was a cat-burglar, and was hired to steal the ancient katana she carries by a rival family of the clan who owned it, her patrons intending to ransom it back to the people she stole it from, so that they could hide the shame of letting it get stolen in the first place.

The spirits of a dozen noble samurai who touched the mind of this thief had other ideas, disappointed with their clan's current direction, and how saving face was more important than honor. She found herself moving overseas, not of her own volition, and taking up fighting crime, because that's what the samurai-spirits wanted to do (fighting members of the blade's own clan who engaged in crime overseas, and they felt dishonored their name). Holding the blade, she channels the skill of a dozen master swordsman (which is good, because she is... not). Her own skills the samurai-spirits find occasionally useful, although they moan about the disgraceful nature of them, as she uses her various cat-burglar skills to locate the various criminal scum the samurai would be utterly useless at confronting on their own.

She'll be a willing accomplice in this hijacking of her former life of crime, since the actions forced initially by the samurai-spirits within the blade have burned most of her bridges back in Japan, with her various criminal contacts either wanting her dead, or wanting the sword back, or thinking of her as unreliable, for having stolen the item that she was hired to purloin, and then publicized the theft by openly using the sword (whose theft was supposed to be kept secret, so that the family stolen from would pay handsomely to keep it secret!). Bridges burned, she's willing to give it a go at the crimefighting career that these old fogeys have roped her into.

But, it will be at least a year before she finds out that the 'samurai-spirits' are bupkiss. Her own imagination (and perhaps residual guilt over her previous life-choices?) playing tricks on her. She's actually a metahuman with the ability to unconsciously read the past, like others can see the future, and she's not talking to spirits of long-dead samurai, she's *remembering* the events of the blade's history (and she's always been unconsciously using this power, as a thief, to 'guess' security codes or 'intuit' where traps were located). Once she finally figures out how her powers work, a whole new array of applications will occur to her, and be regretfully shelved, as her newfound 'samurai' ethics forbid the most fun sounding options...

Mighty Member

A comic book solo series based on god SANGO similar to the Thor comics.
    Last edited by Besouro; 10-08-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Well, obviously you would have to change the name, but I'd basically ripoff Blacula as much as I legally can. Love that character, love vampires, and it would definitely fit. Just need to make him legally distinct enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well, obviously you would have to change the name, but I'd basically ripoff Blacula as much as I legally can. Love that character, love vampires, and it would definitely fit. Just need to make him legally distinct enough.
    I could see Icon fighting a god like Black Vampire, who was an African king who perform some of kind black magic ritual and turned himself into a powerful vampire like creature....wait (reads thread title) did you mean you wanted Blacula as a hero?

Michael Hoskins the Last Knight. An African-American single child from a middle-class family that, from reading tales about honorable knights and warriors of old, and seeing injustice first hand, as well as it going unpunished, he vows to uphold an honorable life and just life. Protect the weak, defend the poor, aid the innocent, and stand up against injustice wherever it rears its head!

...But the first time he gets involved, it goes badly for him. Until a French-Algeriean Priest steps in and saves him. Noting Michael's determined will against impossible odds, and Michael practically prostrating himself to learn, the Priest takes him in and teaches him how to fight like the Templars of old. What Michael saw was only the tip of the iceberg though. As evil isn't limited to just humanity. Magic, witches, and monsters of all sorts are quite real. Will Michael be able to balance rigorous training, school, and a happy home all at once?

Incredible Member

I'm all for this idea.

Astonishing Member

Would he be a hero or villain?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I could see Icon fighting a god like Black Vampire, who was an African king who perform some of kind black magic ritual and turned himself into a powerful vampire like creature....wait (reads thread title) did you mean you wanted Blacula as a hero?
    That could work.
    And I'd say either villain or antivillain. He should have a sense of nobility about him and his own agendas, that could allow him to work as either a antihero or antivillain or outright villain depending on the circumstances and story.

More interesting if there's a bit of complexity to the character. But antihero is as close to heroic as he should ever get. Think gray and black morality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I'm all for this idea.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Would he be a hero or villain?
    Villain more often than not.

That could work.
    And I'd say either villain or antivillain. He should have a sense of nobility about him and his own agendas, that could allow him to work as either a antihero or antivillain or outright villain depending on the circumstances and story.

More interesting if there's a bit of complexity to the character. But antihero is as close to heroic as he should ever get. Think gray and black morality.
    I bet the character would probably think black morality is superior than white morality lol. Could also be a bit of parody of Black Panther (Black Panther meets Blacula) since Buck Wild was a parody of Luke Cage, a king who controls an advance society that isolates themselves from the rest of the world who is also a vampire.

Speaking of... Who wants the return of Buck Wild, What can the reboot do with him?

Ultimate Member

A black vampire is not a straight rip off of Blacula. We have seen some mainly on Buffy.

I would probably say a look into African lore-you could probably find someone who could pass off as a vampire.

In fact.....

http://greydogtales.com/blog/the-afr...draculas-roam/

To put it another way, Africa never held that figure beloved of many horror readers and romanticists – the cursed or afflicted human being who dies, rises from the grave as one of the undead, and goes for the jugular, drinking blood for sustenance. No vampire in the Gothic or Stoker tradition, nor in the mould of Balkan fears; no Varney or Nosferatu or Dracula equivalent.

“(In Africa) there are any number of folkloric or legendary creatures that subsist on the blood of the living, but these are not truly the undead.”

The Obayifo

“(This is) a kind of human vampire whose chief delight is to suck the blood of children, whereby the latter pine and die. Men and women possessed of this power and credited with volitant powers, being able to quit their bodies and travel great distances in the night. Besides sucking the blood of their victims, they are supposed to be able to extract the sap and juices of crops. Cases of coco blight are ascribed to the work of the obayifo.

“These witches are supposed to be very common, and a man never knows but that his friend or even his wife may be one. When prowling at night they are supposed to emit a phosphorescent light. An obayifo in every day life is supposed to be known by having sharp, shifty eyes, that are never at rest, also by showing an undue interest in food, and always talking about it, especially meat, and hanging about when cooking is going on, all of which habits are therefore purposely avoided.”
    Most of the ones I found come close to be vampires but they are not undead.

Now there is one that is undefined

The Ramanga
    The Ramanga is not that well recorded, but it is mentioned occasionally as a ‘vampire-like’ being. This belongs to the Betsileo people of Madagascar, who – whilst officially mostly Protestant or Catholic – still draw on indigenous religious beliefs, including belief in the presence of witches and diviners.

Quite what a Ramanga is remains unclear – we’ve so far found no period source material for it. Some say that it represents a person who takes on ritual roles for important tribal figures, such as drinking blood and eating nail clippings; others that it is a creature which does the same thing but for its own appetites. The jury is out, although none of the above require it to be undead – so it has no clear claim to be a African vampire, we fear.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A black vampire is not a straight rip off of Blacula. We have seen some mainly on Buffy.

I would probably say a look into African lore-you could probably find someone who could pass off as a vampire.

In fact.....

http://greydogtales.com/blog/the-afr...draculas-roam/

Most of the ones I found come close to be vampires but they are not undead.

Now there is one that is undefined
    He doesn't have to be tied by the legends of Africa. There's plenty of black men in Europe and America. He can just be a normal vampire in the traditional mold, but just on a comic book supervillain level. Blacula, Blade, it works.
    (Not against a character based on African monsters, but there's just something about the traditional cinematic vampire you know)

Actually, I'd probably tie him less to Africa and more New Orleans. There's a long history of vampire legends there, makes him African American which is probably easier for American based writers to write about, and is a pretty good location visually. Oh, and he could have those New Orleans werewolves as his minions (loup garoos? My autosuggestion/autocorrect isn't spelling it).

Vampires, werewolves, voodoo, even some sort of Bigfoot like creature and other swamp monsters. New Orleans is a great place for supernatural characters actually...

(I've only been there once, before Katrina, but it's a memorable place I'm just fascinated with.)

Ultimate Member

Back when Buffy was a thing, and vampires (and slayers) in that shows mythology were revealed to have started in Africa, I theorized that the act of staking a vampire to kill it was rooted in some local traditions.

The tree is seen by some as a symbol of the crossroads, the intersection between the spirit world and the earthly plane. Sometimes offerings are left at the base of great trees to the ancestors, and the whispering of the wind in their branches are treated as garbled words of the ancestors. The vampire is, in the context of the show, an evil spirit or demon that has possessed the dead body of a mortal. By symbolically planting a tree in that 'earthly plane' the vampire-slayer is re-establishing a connection to the spiritual plane where that possessor belongs, and it is drawn back out, like air escaping a balloon, and the body, appropriately, 'returns to the earth' by crumbling to dust.

If there were to be a vampire character in Milestone, it would be neat if it touched upon that sort of cultural stuff, and wasn't just a black person got bit by some pale Eurotrash with a bad Romanian accent and greasy slicked-back hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Back when Buffy was a thing, and vampires (and slayers) in that shows mythology were revealed to have started in Africa, I theorized that the act of staking a vampire to kill it was rooted in some local traditions.

The tree is seen by some as a symbol of the crossroads, the intersection between the spirit world and the earthly plane. Sometimes offerings are left at the base of great trees to the ancestors, and the whispering of the wind in their branches are treated as garbled words of the ancestors. The vampire is, in the context of the show, an evil spirit or demon that has possessed the dead body of a mortal. By symbolically planting a tree in that 'earthly plane' the vampire-slayer is re-establishing a connection to the spiritual plane where that possessor belongs, and it is drawn back out, like air escaping a balloon, and the body, appropriately, 'returns to the earth' by crumbling to dust.

If there were to be a vampire character in Milestone, it would be neat if it touched upon that sort of cultural stuff, and wasn't just a black person got bit by some pale Eurotrash with a bad Romanian accent and greasy slicked-back hair.
    Could have been bit by an American of any race from the past two hundred years if we go with New Orleans. Isn't it a port town? Could be anyone from anywhere in the world, not just a European. If who bit him is a mystery, it's actually better. Mysterious origins are underrated. Ask Joker or Wolverine fans.

First, it was about vengeance; now it's about family. Candice Metcalf was an extremely bright engineer. Daughter of the original Hardware, Curtis Metcalf, and Barraki Young, Candice continues on her father's legacy to combat evil wherever she finds it.

Milestone Comics Presents SHELLFORGE.
    Last edited by Common Writer; 10-13-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Winter Maiden=Jacara Jamison is an African American Woman born a Meta w incredible Powers she has increased Super Strength the ability to fly generate Cold Air.Strong Winds.Create Objects out of ice .Jacara suffers from MPD and has alters one of these alters also is a Meta who goes by the name Sunblaze and can generate Heat and fire Bolts of destructive Flame she's forever in a mental battle to control her darkside w the help of her friends Icon and Rocket.