Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why should Jason exist in Diana’s mythos ?

Jason was kind of a bad/good idea depending on how you look at it. What makes it worst is how Hippolyta just wanted to abandon him. Why couldn’t she just fight the gods. We have seen Hippolyta fight many times against them. Two why have Jason and Diana has Zeus’s children? Why have him outclass his sister? A lot of things didn’t really give a interesting side to Jason. If anything it just showed him nothing more than a joke. I would love more male characters but the fact dc hasn’t used many of the other male characters and the fact none of her original cast has shown up . Why should Jason be treated any differently? I would like to see another go at him but a fresh slate would be good for him

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Jason was kind of a bad/good idea depending on how you look at it. What makes it worst is how Hippolyta just wanted to abandon him. Why couldn’t she just fight the gods. We have seen Hippolyta fight many times against them. Two why have Jason and Diana has Zeus’s children? Why have him outclass his sister? A lot of things didn’t really give a interesting side to Jason. If anything it just showed him nothing more than a joke. I would love more male characters but the fact dc hasn’t used many of the other male characters and the fact none of her original cast has shown up . Why should Jason be treated any differently? I would like to see another go at him but a fresh slate would be good for him
    I personally have to say that I never read something with Jason, but this are things which made me like him...

1. This abandon fits perfectly with my opinion of the Amazons...I dont have a good opinion of Hippolyta and Diana, so it fits into...

2. I always thougt that Diana was to OVERPOWERED and she with her skills,strenght etc. even outclassed Superman etc. at time, so I really liked that there was someone out of her family who outclasses her..
    I LOVED it...

3. I hope for him as Cassies Dad even its unlikely...So Cassie would have have the chance to develop other powers...but since she might get an amulett it would be unneccessary..

BANNED

Jason exits for WW and Amazon's sins apparently.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Can we please give him a proper superhero name? Nothing says generic character like a character using their actual name as their moniker. John Constantine, Zatana and Dr. Strange being exceptions.( What is it with magic users?)

When I imagine a debut scenario for a Mr. Wonder sort, compared to the first outings of his female Bat and Super counterparts, ..it should be pretty simple.

Some dire threat to humanity arises, engaging Wonder Woman in action, against an evil-doer or force of nature! Just when it seems our heroine might be overwhelmed by the odds, imperiling innocents or Steve, ..a mysterious figure appears, costumed in some way, resembling Diana's iconic uniform. This living hurricane, outfitted like a Roman gladiator, rescues the helpless, while the Amazing Amazon dispatches the encroaching super-villain or catastrophe! Leaving her puzzled by some mildly cryptic witticism, the adventurer vanishes, as swiftly as he'd flown to her aid, leaving us all wondering...

Who was that WONDEROUS man?

That's, basically, the tradition. The new, similarly costumed ally exits the stage, leaving us all wanting more of him, ..leaving the glory of the superheroine, who inspired him, fully intact. He adds to the mythos; he doesn't undermine it, because our appreciation of the mythos is the sole reason we're interested in him, in the first place. That is what should have happened with the introduction of a 'Mr. Wonder' character, like Jason, Prince of the Amazons. That should have been the net result of his leap into the Wonder-legend, ..but, that didn't happen, as I see it; so, Jason is a problem, for one, simple reason.

He isn't welcome.

Should he exist in the mythos, as is? Presently, I think he is exactly where he needs to be, ..and that is out of the comic! A do-over for Jason, executed in the fashion that I illustrated, above, is entirely possible and could completely change how we relate to this character. If he returned, fully-loaded with a respectable powers, skills and sense of purpose, as Batgirl did in the 60s TV show, he could carve out a niche for himself in the on-going narrative, but, that is far off...quite far off, I'd say.

Perhaps, where Jason is concerned, we must ask, if rehabbing him is worth it. I'm on the fence about it, truthfully. If Sargon, from the old Sensation Comics, Andros from the TV show, or a new, heroic Captain Wonder could jump into the comic, helping out Diana with something interesting, before slipping away into his own cool situation, off-panel [OFF-PANEL!!!], ..I'd welcome him, heartily, and forget Jason ever existed. That, I can say, without reservation.

So, is Jason worth the trouble of bringing back? Can't say, really.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-06-2019 at 01:24 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

He shouldn't. Next question please.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

One way to handle both him and Zeus is to pretend that Rucka's Rebirth run came after Robinson's run. Robinson's run fits much better with the New 52 Wonder Woman world than the one Rucka created in any case.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I'm with you. Making a sibling male hero who was more powerful than his 'mentor' was chauvenistic at best.

I'm all for a male hero in WW, but, like just about every male lead hero who adds a female to their cast (Supergirl, Batgirl, etc.), he should be (a) younger, (b) less powerful and (c) in need of someone to help them out.

Jason's execution was terrible, and there is absolutely no reason for Diana to have a twin brother, let alone one with more powers than she had and who mysteriously vanishes for a few weeks to come back trained and competent.

Pass on Jason.

He actually could just be the male version of Diana from another dimension

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Yeah, I have no problem with the idea of Jason. I'm cool with Diana having a brother. I'm cool with the idea of him being a hero in his own right. But that's where it stops. The minute he started overshadowing Diana in her own book, things went too far.

Dial him waaaaay back, or don't use him.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Pretty much. /Thread.

I've come to appreciate Lennox, Siracca and Milan more after having to put up with Jason, though I'm not super invested in any of them either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm with you. Making a sibling male hero who was more powerful than his 'mentor' was chauvenistic at best.

I'm all for a male hero in WW, but, like just about every male lead hero who adds a female to their cast (Supergirl, Batgirl, etc.), he should be (a) younger, (b) less powerful and (c) in need of someone to help them out.

Jason's execution was terrible, and there is absolutely no reason for Diana to have a twin brother, let alone one with more powers than she had and who mysteriously vanishes for a few weeks to come back trained and competent.

Pass on Jason.
    I also pass on Jason. His character did nothing for me.

You know i was thinking. Don't you find it ironic that more than once, Diana who is a girl power feminist icon has been victim of sexism even in her own book? All male heros with a female version that i can think of are more powerful than their female versions. But Wonder Woman with almost 80 years of history, who is considered The female hero, got a twin brother that in no time was apparently more powerful than her? And this is just one of the most recent examples that i can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    IMO that concept especially as executed is a No. It added zero value and diminished Diana. Same thing with Darkseid War "revelations ". The sad part is they wasted the momentum the character had coming off of the film.

I just thought the idea of a blood sibling was interesting. A completely general feeling. But it was executed rather horribly on every level the moment after his proper introduction.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I mean she already had blood siblings. This is where I wonder. Why not have Donna or Nubia be retcon has her blood siblings?