Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

No! Him especially being Twin brother of Diana pretty much destroys everything unique about Diana. I would have no problem if they retcon him to be her little brother or adopted brother.

bleh no.... another poor concept to shove another man into her mythos.... Zeus is daddy, now she has to share her birth. Additionally, it was a poorly shoved in leftover of the 52. It was clearly blonde Hippolyta that had Jason and Diana, and that Island was a falsehood..... and also Grail born that night? puh leez.

If they had wanted to keep it, he should have been some mystical leftover from the false "nu52" Island the Gods created. So then he is a sort of spiritual brother to her, without the actual twin nonsense.

But I'm hapy to see him go, hopefully retconned away

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    He shouldn't. Next question please.

My sentiments exactly!

Spectacular Member

Trying to retcon in a sibling is always a tough sell in my opinion, cause it you don't do it right it comes off as a cheap attempt to make us care about the character. And Jason was hardly done right, as others have pointed out.

In the broad sense of having a male ally and a family member. A better use would be to make him her son from Earth 2 like they did with Helena.

He could be the third member of Helena/Kara's team the new Trinity of Earth 2 etc. Plus it be fun to flip the gender makeup having them be foils etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    bleh no.... another poor concept to shove another man into her mythos.... Zeus is daddy, now she has to share her birth. Additionally, it was a poorly shoved in leftover of the 52. It was clearly blonde Hippolyta that had Jason and Diana, and that Island was a falsehood..... and also Grail born that night? puh leez.

If they had wanted to keep it, he should have been some mystical leftover from the false "nu52" Island the Gods created. So then he is a sort of spiritual brother to her, without the actual twin nonsense.

But I'm hapy to see him go, hopefully retconned away
    That was my idea too, then writers could access Blonde Hippolyta, the evil Amazons and Jason without messing up the Themyscirans. It would also keep Jason from being so off putting and undesirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    Trying to retcon in a sibling is always a tough sell in my opinion, cause it you don't do it right it comes off as a cheap attempt to make us care about the character. And Jason was hardly done right, as others have pointed out.
    I think you could make the same argument about Supergirl and Batwoman...'specially, Batwoman. For me, it's not the creation of a Mr. Wonder sort that's the crime, here. Prince Jason, as introduced by James Robinson, is a terrible Mr. Wonder, though!

I like that Geoff Johns, after decades of having no Mr. Wonder in the game, not only gave us a Mr. Wonder, but made him very difficult for writers and editors to ignore, the way they have ignored Rama, Champion, Herakles, Mister Genie, Mer-boy, Bird-boy, the Gargareans of Thalarion and the rest. Jason being a blood relation insures that some writer, in lieu of killing him off, will have to tear the DCU apart to erase his existence, ..which might force someone to do what should have been done in the first place: make Jason Work!

I am almost certain that James introduced Hercules's protectorate city, Elexinore, with the idea of Jason replacing him, there, ..after COTGs was over. He certainly gave no indication that he had any interest in installing Diana, there, with Steve and ARGUS, so firmly, at Virginia Shore; so, why bother? Why bother with the time and trouble of creating a proxy Twin Peaks, with no relevance to anything else in the WW comic, that vanishes in the first few issues of his story arc? The intro of Elexinore was clearly a set-up for establishing a fictional city for a superhero, other than her, ..and, with Donna Troy nowhere in sight, that had to be Jason. In Elexinore (maybe, his Greek fishermen, with him), far enough away from Diana or Superman not to be redundant, the right writer would make him a male, blue-collar twist on Wonder Woman...

And that would have been brilliant! BRILLIANT!

Somewhere, in the mire of finishing COTGs, I think James forgot about this or, like Byrne on WW, he simply ran out of time to tell the story he had intended to tell. Instead of retiring Jason to Elexinore to sort out his grief, anger and confusion, after the death of Zeus, James treated us to Jason hanging around ARGUS and Diana's beach-house. He tied Jason's claiming of a superhero uniform to the Dark Gods/Dark Metal crossover event, keeping him in the story long enough to eat up panel-time that should have been dominated by Wonder Woman, ..the sole reason we have any curiosity about Jason in the first place. Had Jason, disappeared for a time and returned to aid Diana, at the end of a protracted battle against Darkseid - one which threatened Greece, his newly established home in Twin peaks and the entire world, ..we may be having a very different conversation, right now.

James would have given us a Mr. Wonder, who might grow into the long tradition of costumed, lieutenant superheroes - Nightwing, Power Girl, Huntress, the Guardian, Steel! With establishing him at Elexinore, he would have given us the reassurance that Jason need not be regarded as a usurper, but, as a welcome addition of gender and culture diversity to the Wonder-mythos. I think that might have been what he'd hoped for, once.

Who knows?

In lieu of bringing Jason back from the so-called Dark Dimension, I still think occasionally allying Diana with a colorfully costumed, male sorcerer isn't the worst thing that could happen to her. Having powers decidedly unlike hers and a history in Sensation Comics, Sargon could carve out a niche, with strategically placed team-ups in good, high-stake stories. I might argue that his ruby, red cloak and golden turban - no Wonder-insignia, anywhere - offer further assurance to Wonder-purists that he's a Mr. Wonder, waiting to run Diana out of her own comic. A colorful, male playmate for Wonder Woman, with magical powers, who drops by to lend a hand ..and disappears, after the action...

That might be fun. A fun WW comic...imagine!

For me, a Mr. Wonder, who does his thing and GOES AWAY, like Batgirl, Steel and Mary Marvel do in their comics, could still be welcome. I don't want him hanging around Virginia City or ARGUS, mucking up the Di-Maggie-Phro character dynamic, ..and NO, I don't think making him LGBT would change my position on that. Prince Jason is exactly where he needs to be, even if his launch had gone more successfully, ..and that is OUT of the WW comic. As enthusiastic, as I am, about the development of a Wonder Woman superhero-family, I want to see great caution taken with re-introducing Jason to it...

If at all.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-07-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

To show that Diana is uniquely suited to challenge the status quo and change the world through love, empathy, forthrightness (in both words and actions), and the transformation of self and therefore is The Greatest Superhero The World Has Ever Known (TM).
    Last edited by WonderScott; 06-10-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm with you. Making a sibling male hero who was more powerful than his 'mentor' was chauvenistic at best.

I'm all for a male hero in WW, but, like just about every male lead hero who adds a female to their cast (Supergirl, Batgirl, etc.), he should be (a) younger, (b) less powerful and (c) in need of someone to help them out.

Jason's execution was terrible, and there is absolutely no reason for Diana to have a twin brother, let alone one with more powers than she had and who mysteriously vanishes for a few weeks to come back trained and competent.

Pass on Jason.
    I am perfectly ok with him, Diana is to overpowered and more annoying that an Idol...

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    I am perfectly ok with him, Diana is to overpowered and more annoying that an Idol...
    So Diana is too overpowered, but it's perfectly okay for her newly created twin brother to be more powerful than her?

BANNED

was he particularly more powerful than her? his powers over water were not exactly impressive.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    She's no more overpowered than other characters on her tier, like Superman, Supergirl, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Mary, etc.

Adding a new male character that literally NOBODY was asking for and making him more powerful than the headlining female power fantasy is utterly ridiculous. It's one thing to have a couple other male superheroes be a tad stronger than her as long as their narratives do not intertwine with hers in a major way aside from the odd team up, but aiming to add a permanent fixture into her books, be it a brother in this case or the misguided attempts at romance with the likes of Superman, Orion or Hercules completely miss the point of this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    was he particularly more powerful than her? his powers over water were not exactly impressive.
    He got his healing factor, strength, flight, wind and lightning powers from Zeus, plus magic armor that gave him the abilities of any Olympian god, plus a magic Amazon staff gifted from Hippolyta that also did stuff. It was a lot.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 06-08-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    He was, in the end, stronger and faster than her with the armor, had a magic weapon, magic armor that gave him both skills and powers depending upon which god he called upon, and this was in addition to his natural Zeus power over...water (never made sense to me)

Worse, for me, is how he was written - it was rubbed in the reader's face that *she* needed *his* help to get somewhere fast. He didn't need her for anything as he was mysteriously granted complete knowledge and control over the armor and his powers, and that armor was *meant* for Diana but given to him because he has dangly bits.

He was, to me, the very definition of a Gary Stu. It was even stated in an interview that he was more powerful than Diana (wish I could find the interview, but no luck)

On the other hand, DC clearly doesn't care about him. When they ranked their speedsters, Jason was no where to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean she already had blood siblings. This is where I wonder. Why not have Donna or Nubia be retcon has her blood siblings?
    The difference here was that it was a full sibling, not half via Zeus. Another child of Hippolyta. That's part of what intrigued me in the beginning. But again, completely whiffed. And I definitely tried, in the beginning I thought Robinson's run was shaping up to be pretty good but...yeah.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-08-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El