Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ultimate Nullifier vs Omega Beams

You are chosen to defend our universe against an imminent cosmic threat. You know nothing about the threat except that it is at least Shuma-Gorath level.

For defense, you're boosted up to Thor-level willpower and durability.

For offense, you get a choice of empowerment. Either:

a) You are infused with the power of the Ultimate Nullifier, with full ability to control and utilize it.

b) You are infused with the power of Pre-Crisis Darkseid's Omega Beams, with full ability to control and utilize them.

After the battle, if you survive and save the universe, you get to keep the power, if you so desire.

Which do you choose?

Nullifier being used worries Galactus.

Gonna go with that one.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

I don't know that even pre crisis darkseid had universe affecting/destroying powers so yeah the nullifier power it is. maybe a more contemporary power would be the power of anti life equation.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

The Ultimate Nullifier was used to rebuild the universe: that's a bit beyond Omega Beam level.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Full control over the Nullifier lets you freely create and manipulate matter and energy? If it's used to rebuild universes that seems like a possibility, otherwise I might go for the thing that lets you do all the random stuff that Darkseid's OE does (IIRC, the Omega Effect was used to create PC Validus? could be wrong on this), since actually erasing universes is not something I'm particularly interested in.

But yeah, Nullifier is still way more powerful in general, regardless of what else it lets you do.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

It's basic role, in it's first appearance back in the early days of FF and Galactus, was that it would let you completely eliminate anything that you could completely understand. Someone like Reed, given info from a cheating Watcher, could therefore use it to wipe Galactus, with the downside that it was mutually assured destruction: the act of using it killed you too.

However, that all changed over time, and the UN has been used for lots of other stuff since, including the flat-out recreation of the universe by Reed.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

So, I actually have to DEFEND the universe?

Given the stakes, I'm going with the 'I Win' button, rather than the thing that might give me more if I do win. Especially if the threat is 'at least' Shuma-Gorath level of power. Especially especially if my 'durability' is only boosted to Thor level, because PIS-off, Shuma-Gorath obliterates Thor in a heartbeat.

This isn't a 'fight'. I can't let it be a fight. It's either I manage to get my one shot off and take whatever it is out, or I die.

If it's possible, I'll ambush the bugger.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ultimate Member

Can the Ultimate Nullifier kill Shuma-Gorath?

One of the Mad Celestials tanked an Ultimate Nullifier hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Can the Ultimate Nullifier kill Shuma-Gorath?

One of the Mad Celestials tanked an Ultimate Nullifier hit.
    It's something that can annihilate an entire universe if used correctly (not galaxy, but a hundred billion galaxies and all of the much-bigger space between them). I would say it can manage against Shuma-Gorath, certainly better than the Omega Beams can.

A Celestial eating a shot from the Nullifier used properly, and keeping on trucking, seems...out there for a Celestial when it's a point that it will flat-out waste Galactus. Like, waaaaay out there.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The thing I am most baffled about with this thread, is that Sharp hasn't yet said he would get rid of the power after the battle like the OP suggests you can do.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    The thing I am most baffled about with this thread, is that Sharp hasn't yet said he would get rid of the power after the battle like the OP suggests you can do.
    If it can do more than just blow crap up, and I have full control of it, I'm not worried. If it can make a universe, I can probably wrangle a way to make myself and whatever I want immortal and travel, etc. It's not one of those situations where I would be....

1. ...worried that I would accidentally blow up something/one with it ('full ability to control and utilize it');
    2. ...have someone threaten me somehow into using it to do what they want (how?);
    3. ...forced to take on a mantle of responsibility, like 'but now you must run the planet' or stuff like that (don't see any of that sort of 'dictator for life' or 'take charge of EVERYONE'S destiny' annoyances in the OP).

So there's no downside to it. I can use it to make adjustments in my own life without becoming God of the World or any crap like that. ^_^

If the point was 'You just keep the ability to blow crap up', then sure, I'd consider dumping it (why do I need the ability to zap things?). Or not, because really, having it doesn't affect my life in a significant way. Except on the one in a billion chance I actually need to zap something.

The 'fully controllable' part is what makes it safe.
    Why are we here?

Bleah, I missed the entire premise here somehow. Shuma Gorath should get completely wrecked by the UN, so there's that.

As for keeping it around afterwards, I'm not sure that's entirely safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Or not, because really, having it doesn't affect my life in a significant way. Except on the one in a billion chance I actually need to zap something.

The 'fully controllable' part is what makes it safe.
    You can fully control the Ultimate Nullifier, but will you always be able to fully control yourself? What happens when you're 100 years old and suffering from dementia or something (hopefully that never happens, but isn't there a chance?)?

I mean, accidentally wiping out the entire universe is kind of a big risk. Or is this just the gambler's ruin?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    You can fully control the Ultimate Nullifier, but will you always be able to fully control yourself? What happens when you're 100 years old and suffering from dementia or something (hopefully that never happens, but isn't there a chance?)?

I mean, accidentally wiping out the entire universe is kind of a big risk. Or is this just the gambler's ruin?
    At that point, sure, once I get old would be a good time to dump it if I still can. If not...so I'll ask the question when I take this on. "If I choose to keep it, can I drop it later?" If I can't dump later, then I'll dump it when I'm finished, absolutely.

And if I can do more with it than Zap stuff, it's not an issue, as 'make myself immortal without dementia issues' seems to be a little easier than 'make a universe'.
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    (IIRC, the Omega Effect was used to create PC Validus? could be wrong on this)
    As I recall, I think Darkseid used the Omega Beams to shove Valdius through time to his current age. His power level was, I think, a result of his parentage rather than OE itself. Though there was something about him being "given a monstrous body," by his experiences...

It's a bit ambiguous how much of it is the OE versus Validus being a genetic freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    At that point, sure, once I get old would be a good time to dump it if I still can. If not...so I'll ask the question when I take this on. "If I choose to keep it, can I drop it later?" If I can't dump later, then I'll dump it when I'm finished, absolutely.

And if I can do more with it than Zap stuff, it's not an issue, as 'make myself immortal without dementia issues' seems to be a little easier than 'make a universe'.
    True, that.

Though if making universes is possible, that might be my new hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As I recall, I think Darkseid used the Omega Beams to shove Valdius through time to his current age. His power level was, I think, a result of his parentage rather than OE itself. Though there was something about him being "given a monstrous body," by his experiences...

It's a bit ambiguous how much of it is the OE versus Validus being a genetic freak.
    Ah, makes sense.