Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

well dceased 1 has outsold Doomsday 10. no wonder these stories keep coming. I wonder if dceased is going to be as successful as marvel zombies and if it does what will be the outcome.

Retired

What happened to all the Dark Age Marvel Comics, like WOLVERINE, THE PUNISHER, THE 'NAM and VENOM?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    well dceased 1 has outsold Doomsday 10. no wonder these stories keep coming. I wonder if dceased is going to be as successful as marvel zombies and if it does what will be the outcome.
    No that doesn't count since it's out of continuity and people may just like it because zombies are fun, they want to see what happen when these heroes turn into the living dead and who will survive. It's kind of a different genre. Not necessarily dark, depressing and hopeless... or you come in expecting it to be dark.

BANNED

The real question is, DC having hope in their comics will make your life any less misirable ? The answer is NO... lol Life is dark, people like to see that in their comics, stop complaning...

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    The real question is, DC having hope in their comics will make your life any less misirable ? The answer is NO... lol Life is dark, people like to see that in their comics, stop complaning...
    uuuuhhhh...not all of us count on flying people in spandex to deliver a clear reflection of the worst parts of our world as entertainment.

IMO, that's one of the reasons the MCU succeeded as well as it did. They could do dark and emotionally compelling, but they always remembered to keep one hand on the whimsy underlying their material.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    uuuuhhhh...not all of us count on flying people in spandex to deliver a clear reflection of the worst parts of our world as entertainment.

IMO, that's one of the reasons the MCU succeeded as well as it did. They could do dark and emotionally compelling, but they always remembered to keep one hand on the whimsy underlying their material.
    A million percent this. I can take the dark tone if there is also hope. DCU currently seems mired in the grimdark MINUS any hope looming.
    Just a big swirl of neverending grimdark. (Except for shazam, YJ, and Super Sons which are my current faves).

And for those of you that don't, there's plenty of material from both DC and Marvel to satisfy your needs.

This isn't even limited to superhero comics. I see people ranting online about how "entertainment isn't escapist and light hearted enough these days" while completely ignoring the numerous stories released that suit their tastes. Because it's easier to complain about something you hate than talk about something you love.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Well, DCeased #1 was a first issue while Doosday Cluck was the 10th issue.
    It has also been plagued by massive delays, so who knows how many people may have stopped buying single paper issues and have switched to digital and/or may have stopped buying single issues and are now trade-waiting it.

BANNED

I'm aware of your kinds expectations, that's why i said ''stop complaning'' and are you guys really that pathetic that you can't do without hope which spread by guys in spandex... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I didn’t enjoy Final Crisis due to how it was Handled. Nor did I enjoy Morrison’s take on Batman and the JLA. Too much of a good thing and too overuses of Batgod in the stories. I mean there’s a balance in honoring the past in modern stories, but I thing Morrison took things a bit too far with some of his work. That includes Multiversity too as I never like his evolved take on Captain Carrot. SOme things are better off to the professionals/original creators of the property.
    I can dig not liking his work, but what makes it 'dark and depressing'?

I remember watching a documentary a while back that said that the boom of Swing music in the '40s was a counter-balance to world affairs as people would turn to the music and dances for escapism.

I've also read that the darker reality feels, the stronger a desire for escapism becomes. And when people feel safer and more secure, they explore more risky and dangerous concepts.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I remember watching a documentary a while back that said that the boom of Swing music in the '40s was a counter-balance to world affairs as people would turn to the music and dances for escapism.

I've also read that the darker reality feels, the stronger a desire for escapism becomes. And when people feel safer and more secure, they explore more risky and dangerous concepts.
    So you don't feel safe ? you are in the post apocalyptic hellish world of Louisiana, and need some ray of sunshine and hope from a spandex ? that's where you are coming ? That's false hope btw, even if you get all the hope in the fictional world from a spandex, the reality will hit you hard in the end... It's pathetic. You are better than this, give me 10 push ups, come on !!! :P

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And for those of you that don't, there's plenty of material from both DC and Marvel to satisfy your needs.

This isn't even limited to superhero comics. I see people ranting online about how "entertainment isn't escapist and light hearted enough these days" while completely ignoring the numerous stories released that suit their tastes. Because it's easier to complain about something you hate than talk about something you love.
    They ignore those stories because those stories don't have the characters they fell in love with, it's a different genre or medium, or has something about them other than being light hearted that's not to their taste... or to put it another way... someone else having a solution doesn't solve this particular problem, and they want this problem to be solved, because this is the one they like.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Art and life go hand in hand.

We live in an interesting time. I think it is hard for some to imagine a world where Superman flies over Metropolis, his only intent being to help. Grant Morrison gave us a new Superman that could tackle a new age, but he didn't stick.

That's why Batman gets swallowed in his own narratives, instead of tackling new mysteries and enemies.

All these heroes, why are they in crisis? Can't they go forth and tackle a crisis outside themselves, or their state of being?

Can Aquaman battle Black Manta, and fight for all sea life, without the self serious aesthetic?

It is interesting.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-07-2019 at 02:51 PM.

So you don't feel safe ? you are in the post apocalyptic hellish world of Louisiana, and need some ray of sunshine and hope from a spandex ? that's where you are coming ? That's false hope btw, even if you get all the hope in the fictional world from a spandex, the reality will hit you hard in the end... It's pathetic. You are better than this, give me 10 push ups, come on !!! :P
    You don't know what anyone is going through in their own personal lives. Why are you calling people for pathetic for wanting positive messages, seriously?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics