Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Why does DC write such dark,depressing Stories without hope inside?

Hello,

I was asking myself this since days, but now since I read also YJ Spoilers its more than enough:

Why does DC write at the moment such dark,depressing Stories without hope?

I mean:

-Batman was always dark, but at the moment its very depressing
    -Heroes in Crisis is clear
    -Young Justice was a shimmer of hope, but I was destroyed by todays Spoiler
    -Doomsday Clock could bring hope, but I am not sure...

I am sad about that, isnt there any Franchise who is full of joy,hope at DC at the moment?

Didio.
    tenchars

Mighty Member

Because at the moment its really annoying and puts the reader down, in the past you hard dark stories, but also hope,joy etc.

Now nothing, not even in YJ...

BANNED

the contributions of Alan moore Frank Miller Brad meltzer should also be mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    the contributions of Alan moore Frank Miller Brad meltzer should also be mentioned.
    Frank Miller went dark in Dark Knight Returns, but that story was hardly without hope. Admittedly I've only watched the animated movie (so sue me), but I've heard it's super faithful, and there's a few hopeful moments I can point to in that (the brief bit after defeating the Mutant leader, bringing Gotham back to calm after the EMP, the ending). Dark doesn't have to mean bleak and hopeless, and classic Frank at least understood that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Frank Miller went dark in Dark Knight Returns, but that story was hardly without hope. Admittedly I've only watched the animated movie (so sue me), but I've heard it's super faithful, and there's a few hopeful moments I can point to in that (the brief bit after defeating the Mutant leader, bringing Gotham back to calm after the EMP, the ending). Dark doesn't have to mean bleak and hopeless, and classic Frank at least understood that.
    yes but they initiated the trend and other writers doubled down upon it and kept on making characters progressively grim and gritty though it's hardly unique to DC.marvel and other comic book companies also have had their "dark periods"

Mighty Member

yes but they initiated the trend and other writers doubled down upon it and kept on making characters progressively grim and gritty though it's hardly unique to DC.marvel and other comic book companies also have had their "dark periods"
    I am TALKING ABOUT THE ACTUAL TREND!!!

And I personally cant remind a period like nowadays with HEROES IN CRISIS, actual BATMAN development, also part of YOUNG JUSTICE...

Grim, dark yes, BUT at the moment everything seems hopeless,dark....

I mean for example compare BATMAN of the YOUNG JUSTICE TV SERIES with BATMAN in Comics now, the Batman of the TV Series and also Batman of the TAS Series seem to be incredible friendly funny guys compared to the actual comic version...

I must say I am beginning to lose my interest in DC more and more, the earlier Comics Pre-Flashpoint etc. were cool etc. but at the moment with Heroes in Crisis, actual Batman development it isnt anymore just dark, BUT seems hopeless, depressing....

BANNED

you mean you are talking about the"current" trend don't you? anyways can't really argue with that though bored would find something cheerily optimistic to say to you if he was not taking a hiatus.

It's because dark, depressing, hopeless storytelling is more mature, sophisticated, realistic and whatever else they want to sell it with.
    Truth: It's not.

Actually, being dark, depressing and hopeless all the time is a call for help.
    If you see this in a loved one, don't hesitate to show them you care.

As for writers...
    Just hope that DC pays them enough for therapy.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Yeah, but you can't blame them for where other, lesser creators took it from there. It's like giving credit to the caveman who made fire just because some fools want to burn the world down. Pick the guys who blotted all hope out, not the guys who knew how to still use it when needed.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Alan Moore made Watchmen because he wanted to write a different take or point of view on superheroes.
    Other writers made dark superhero stories because they think what Alan Moore did was cool.
    Now they made Dr. Manhattan the enemy because they can't take responsibility for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Alan Moore made Watchmen because he wanted to write a different take or point of view on superheroes.
    Other writers made dark superhero stories because they think what Alan Moore did was cool.
    Now they made Dr. Manhattan the enemy because they can't take responsibility for themselves.
    I don't think Watchmen was a dark depressing story or anywhere near it..it just challenged the standard comic conventions and showed what might really need to be done to bring real beneficial change into the world. Only depressing for any of us that really believed lasting good could really come from wearing a cape and punching bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I don't think Watchmen was a dark depressing story or anywhere near it..it just challenged the standard comic conventions and showed what might really need to be done to bring real beneficial change into the world. Only depressing for any of us that really believed lasting good could really come from wearing a cape and punching bad guys.
    I'd argue that lasting good could really come out of murdering a city is a pretty depressing premise. Only by doing hopeless action can real hope flourish isn't an argument anyone should make.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd argue that lasting good could really come out of murdering a city is a pretty depressing premise. Only by doing hopeless action can real hope flourish isn't an argument anyone should make.
    It's implied the peace Ozymandias created likely won't last for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's implied the peace Ozymandias created likely won't last for long.
    Which sadly is the only bit of hopefulness in the whole story. And that you're hoping for peace to fail kind of shows how messed up it all is.