Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Can you guys tell me what happened in Young Justice that's so bad and depressing ?
    It's selectively neglected because it doesn't fit the narrative...like if I were to namedrop New Kids on the Block and Vanilla Ice at one end of the 90s and Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys at the end and claim that the 90s music scene was nothing but cheesy teen pop.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Anyway, yeah. Rebirth shifted focus into having more hope and brighter tomorrows throughout DC. Since it ended, its been about the opposite. Not even real "breather" issues like before (oneshots here and there that were ultimately light-hearted).

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Except Killing Joke was rolled over into main continuity, with Joker still very much around.
    Yeah, but I never judge a book by what came after. Different strokes man.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It's selectively neglected because it doesn't fit the narrative...like if I were to namedrop New Kids on the Block and Vanilla Ice at one end of the 90s and Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys at the end and claim that the 90s music scene was nothing but cheesy teen pop.

What part of that makes whatever happened in YJ depressing?

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Really liked today's issue of Young Justice and I didn't find anything dark in it. Quite the opposite actually, if you look at the Superboy twist.

I don't know, maybe I missed something.

BANNED

the depressing part is that everyone must have been thinking that they will make it home once this arc ends but they end up getting lost in the multiverse.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What part of that makes whatever happened in YJ depressing?
    My point exactly. I dispute the premise that DC publishes nothing other than dark, depressing stories these days because titles such as YOUNG JUSTICE prove that claim inaccurate, just as those who claim that the 90s music scene was nothing but teen dance pop selectively ignore much of that decade's popular music.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 06-05-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Can you guys tell me what happened in Young Justice that's so bad and depressing ?
    They got screwed over by the people they helped but it wasn't a depressing or bad storyline.
    Last edited by king81992; 06-05-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    My point exactly. I dispute the premise that DC publishes nothing other than dark, depressing stories these days because titles such as YOUNG JUSTICE prove that claim inaccurate, just as those who claim that the 90s music scene was nothing but teen dance pop selectively ignores much of that decade's popular music.

...darn you for putting 90's pop music back in my head Buried Alien, darn you!
    (tries to hum that Blue song)
    Darn you!

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I’d have to say that I’m good with Young Justice right now, since the gang8s back together and a positive force with each other...

... but I think Young Justice May supply part of the answer for the OP’s question: Conflict is key to any good action/adventure story, and while reactions vary from person to person, it’s generally part of the man appeal of a story.

However, *some* of the more recent high profile conflicts have been poorly structured, or only really justified on a meta-narrative out of universe, leading to a dissonance where the conflict on the page doesn’t necessarily fit and may even seem mean-spirited on the part of DC towards their fan base.

Part of the reason Dan Dido traditionally “hates” marriages for superheroes and legacy characters is because both tend to come with a cessation of some kind of conflict: a married hero no longer goes through the cliched romance drama that Didio sees as safe yet productive, and an older, more matured legacy character generally leads to more thoughts that the original character could maybe retire or has achieved something in having a good successor.

Thus, stuff like the called off Bat-Cat Wedding and Heroes In Crisis can feel like it exists to sow discord and conflict strictly because Dc wishes it, and feel undersupported by the text and mean spirited as a result. The impetus behind their events have more to do with esoteric philosophy by Tom King about what kind of story would really explore Batman, or with Dan Didio feeling like its time to do some “house cleaning.”

In contrast, I’d say that Young Justice’s new banishment to the multiverse is actually built into the story, foreshadowed by the Gems being xenophobic and paranoid, and counterbalanced by stuff like Superboy’s story an the general positivity of the character should uniting in a more family friendly book after all this time.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Counter programming. Since being bought by Disney, Marvel has made a conscious effort to be seen as the relatively safe comic company. Most of their edgier characters have been down played or reworked( with some exceptions). I think a lot of DC’s edgier turn has to do with being owned by Warner Brothers. In a lot of ways WB has always positioned itself as the edgier alternative to Disney. Looney Toons are the edgier alternative to classic Disney characters. Marvel superheroes crossed over with Capcom characters DC characters crossed over with Mortal combat characters. Though the vertigo influence is also a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It's because dark, depressing, hopeless storytelling is more mature, sophisticated, realistic and whatever else they want to sell it with.
    Truth: It's not.

Actually, being dark, depressing and hopeless all the time is a call for help.
    If you see this in a loved one, don't hesitate to show them you care.

As for writers...
    Just hope that DC pays them enough for therapy.
    Pretty much the first two lines sums it up.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

OP Question - I'm not sure. Didio likes such stories, perhaps?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I’ve always found Grant Morrison’s writing depressing and dark and hard to understand. Sometimes I think he takes his work a bit too far.

BANNED

Geoff Johns got real into Mortal Kombat when he was in college