Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would you be okay with smaller budgeted Batfamily movies?

So I went to Walmart yesterday to buy Batman vs the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but couldn't (apparently they lost them somewhere in the back room), so I bought a copy of the new Nancy Drew movie instead. Now obviously it isn't a superhero film, and obviously there are no action sequences, but honestly as I was watching it I thought "Hey, I wouldn't mind watching a Batgirl movie like this." Now obviously (again) this is a much cheaper movie than even the cheapest DCEU film (Shazam! I think?), and I barely even remember this being in theaters (was it? Apparently.), but it was a lot better than I was expecting it to be, Nancy was a better character in this than I thought she would be, and all around I thought it was a good, cheap movie. And I thought, if you made a more mystery focused instead of action focused Batgirl film, I could really see it working on this kind of smaller scale. It'd be a safer, faster way of getting some of these other characters out there, it could skew more kid and family friendly, and it'd give us something different than the CW style shows and the big budget movies. Now obviously because this movie starred a redhead girl my immediate thought was "Batgirl", but this could probably work for some other Batfamily characters too.

What do you think?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So I went to Walmart yesterday to buy Batman vs the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but couldn't (apparently they lost them somewhere in the back room), so I bought a copy of the new Nancy Drew movie instead. Now obviously it isn't a superhero film, and obviously there are no action sequences, but honestly as I was watching it I thought "Hey, I wouldn't mind watching a Batgirl movie like this." Now obviously (again) this is a much cheaper movie than even the cheapest DCEU film (Shazam! I think?), and I barely even remember this being in theaters (was it? Apparently.), but it was a lot better than I was expecting it to be, Nancy was a better character in this than I thought she would be, and all around I thought it was a good, cheap movie. And I thought, if you made a more mystery focused instead of action focused Batgirl film, I could really see it working on this kind of smaller scale. It'd be a safer, faster way of getting some of these other characters out there, it could skew more kid and family friendly, and it'd give us something different than the CW style shows and the big budget movies. Now obviously because this movie starred a redhead girl my immediate thought was "Batgirl", but this could probably work for some other Batfamily characters too.

What do you think?
    The cheapest DCEU Film will be JOKER...

I didnt look after the numbers, BUT I cant imagine that you need many Special Effects for the film...

I would be ok with that..because Arrow for example works well and a Nightwing Film could also work so...

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    The cheapest DCEU Film will be JOKER...
    Will be, but we can't really judge how good it is for it's budget until it comes out, plus it's still probably cost a lot more than the recent Nancy Drew. Probably, I'm not going out of my way to look at actual numbers, but it's probably a decent assumption.

I didnt look after the numbers, BUT I cant imagine that you need many Special Effects for the film...

I would be ok with that..because Arrow for example works well and a Nightwing Film could also work so...
    Yeah. I imagine if they can do just fine action on a TV budget they could do the same for a much cheaper than normal superhero film.

Extraordinary Member

The budget of Joker is reported to be around 55 million USD, so around what they spend on the first Deadpool movie.

I think you could do Batfamily movies for that kind of Budget, even one that has some action.
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-05-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I think tv shows based on some of the characters would be a better idea. Like I think a Robin tv show based on the 90s Dixon series would be really good.

Though Batwoman might work better as a movie than what they're doing with the TV show. Batgirl could work. Other characters like Azrael or Cassandra Cain might be too obscure, but I wouldn't mind if they tried that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I think tv shows based on some of the characters would be a better idea. Like I think a Robin tv show based on the 90s Dixon series would be really good.

Though Batwoman might work better as a movie than what they're doing with the TV show. Batgirl could work. Other characters like Azrael or Cassandra Cain might be too obscure, but I wouldn't mind if they tried that.
    Sorry, but if BATWOMAN works, Cassandra Cain would also work, because she has a history of Batgirl/Black Bat/Orphan....I would say it would be easier to make a Series with her, even it could be strange, because in Rebirth she cant talk...

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

Yeah, but there's already a ton of DC tv shows thanks to the CW and now the streaming service, so it'd feel like another show would just be crowded out. Plus I feel even the smaller movies get a larger audience than any Robin tv show ever could. So for getting more attention both by standing above a crowd of so-so shows and getting more eyeballs on it, you really can't beat a film. Plus I feel like that's a whole other discussion. Sometimes you just want to talk about opinions on what you'd like to see on film, not the debate over whether TV is better than Film today (hope that's not condescending, just tired of always reading a post about how a TV/HBO/Netflix series would be better in every movie thread ever these days).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The budget of Joker is reported to be around 55 million USD, so around what they spend on the first Deadpool movie.

I think you could do Batfamily movies for that kind of Budget, even one that has some action.
    Batman from Tim Burton is reported to have had a budget of 35 millions, but this is 30 years ago...

But like I said when you look at "The Flash" Series you see it could also work with less money...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    But like I said when you look at "The Flash" Series you see it could also work with less money...
    I don't think that "The Flash" would that great on the big screen. But Gotham has imo pretty good visuals.

Btw. if the make the action more grounded like in Deadpool (more somthing in the direction the hallway fights in the Marvel Netflix series or the fighting scenes from "into the Badlands"), they can maybe get with the budget even lower an deliver still cool action.

Okay, I'm actually looking now, and for the life of me I can't find out the production cost for the new Nancy Drew. Anyone got a good site for this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Still a bit more than what I'm suggesting here probably, but the first Deadpool looked amazing and was freaking fantastic, so you could make an incredible Nightwing, Batgirl, or Batwoman movie with that. Cheap enough you know they would be profitable, so you could really expand out the Batfamily with films like that without much commitment from the studios, which I feel is an issue. Probably the only way we'd get a Batgirl or Batwing or Signal movie.

The superhero movies have evolved into the big, bold, extra everything releases. One period we had musicals made like that, at other times war movies, or historicals, or some other genre. They are supposed to look expensive and over the top, and it's what the audience expects.

ETA: So it's not impossible to do low- or mid-budget Batfamily movies, but you're working against expectations at every level.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Yeah I like to see Batgirl movie especially if it something like "Batgirl : yearone" and try to stop a cheap villain like killer moth but the other batfamily no I don't think so. all Robins related to batman. Imagine they want to make Redhood movie they need batman to tell their origin... Robin (Dick Grayson) need batman for origin story... of course they can show us Robin is with batman in one batman solo movie but after that make robin into Nightwing and after that they could create a Nightwing solo movie. but about Batgirl it should be after at least one batman movie and after that they can made this movie and they don't need to use batman even a cameo is enough for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisto View Post
    Yeah I like to see Batgirl movie especially if it something like "Batgirl : yearone" and try to stop a cheap villain like killer moth but the other batfamily no I don't think so. all Robins related to batman. Imagine they want to make Redhood movie they need batman to tell their origin... Robin (Dick Grayson) need batman for origin story... of course they can show us Robin is with batman in one batman solo movie but after that make robin into Nightwing and after that they could create a Nightwing solo movie. but about Batgirl it should be after at least one batman movie and after that they can made this movie and they don't need to use batman even a cameo is enough for this.
    Okay, hard to read all that, but: Would it change your mind if these weren't in continuity DCEU movies but just their own thing? So you wouldn't need a big BIG Batman movie to introduce Robin or Nightwing or whatever, but just have a smaller Batman appearance when needed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Okay, hard to read all that, but: Would it change your mind if these weren't in continuity DCEU movies but just their own thing? So you wouldn't need a big BIG Batman movie to introduce Robin or Nightwing or whatever, but just have a smaller Batman appearance when needed.
    “Titans” is getting Iain Glen as a 50+ year old Batman. If Pattinson doesn’t want to show for a low budget film, I’m sure someone else could.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I want a flashy Batgirl of Burnside flick. Doesn't need a crazy budget, but needs someone with a real vision.