Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I want a flashy Batgirl of Burnside flick. Doesn't need a crazy budget, but needs someone with a real vision.
    Batgirl of Burnside would totally work as a lower budget film, and is honestly the sort of thing I was kind of thinking of. It'd really work really well. But like you said, needs the right person with the right vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Jason Todd as Red Hood would work better as a television series. Even with a supporting cast (being part of different variations of the Outlaws and all that). If it was kind of a dark humor sort of series, like Gotham did at times, I think that would fit.

As for Cass, while a great character, you would need a VERY strong young actress to even attempt a stand-alone film. With the whole mute/not much of a talker later on thing. And while Black Bat is a good name, there are legal reasons why they can't use it anymore.
    Actually I disagree with you on Red Hood. Not saying he couldn't work alright in a tv show, but ever if any of the extended Batfamily screamed "classic shoot em up action movie" it's Jason. He's practically tailor made for a bloody R rated action romp.

How come they can't use Black Bat as a name anymore? What's the legal reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I'd actually like to see a low budget Batman flick. No flashy special effects.
    Kind of why I'm rooting for the Joker film to succeed, we'll only ever get more experimental, less flashy Batman films if they're part of a cinematic Elseworlds title.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisto View Post
    Dude um... you are right but I don't think in Movie format they wil be good I think in TV format it will be better
    but I agreed with you to making a Batgirl movie , I love Batgirl more than other female DC characters!
    Any particular reason why you don't think a movie format will be good for most of them? I think if you want to tell a big, sprawling long form story TV is the way to go, but since not every character will get a show and not everything has to be a longform story, I think a much lower budget film could get us characters and stories we otherwise won't ever get. I think low budget films could fill that niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Any particular reason why you don't think a movie format will be good for most of them? I think if you want to tell a big, sprawling long form story TV is the way to go, but since not every character will get a show and not everything has to be a longform story, I think a much lower budget film could get us characters and stories we otherwise won't ever get. I think low budget films could fill that niche.
    In just one way I agreed with movie format. if they introduce Multiverse. but if it not be like this fans will angry and say : "Where the hell is batman? We want Batman movie not this sidekicks!"
    Or Imagine we have this movies:
    Batman solo movie
    Batgirl The Movie
    Nightwing The Movie
    and after them if we have a crossover between them (Batgirl and Nightwing maybe with Batman) it will be cool.
    my problem is we should know about batman not just by cameos. Cuz maybe sb is first time wants to see this movies and don't know anything about batman!

Extraordinary Member

Actually I disagree with you on Red Hood. Not saying he couldn't work alright in a tv show, but ever if any of the extended Batfamily screamed "classic shoot em up action movie" it's Jason. He's practically tailor made for a bloody R rated action romp.
    But that leaves the question, why watch that over something like John Wick, The Raid, Crack or any other "bloody R rated action romp"?
    In this day and age an "bloody R rated action romp" really needs to have an unique style to stand out an be successful.

In just one way I agreed with movie format. if they introduce Multiverse. but if it not be like this fans will angry and say : "Where the hell is batman? We want Batman movie not this sidekicks!"
    I was arguing that these wouldn't be in continuity DCEU movies, or even if they were they'd be small enough to ignore, so yeah kinda a multiverse thing. Maybe like the Joker movie coming up. Also no one would be angry and demanding a Batman movie instead because we're already getting a Batman movie. The dude from Twilight was just cast as Bruce Wayne. So why would they complain? These movies wouldn't stop the upcoming Batman movie from getting made, and probably wouldn't happen till after that film was already out.

my problem is we should know about batman not just by cameos. Cuz maybe sb is first time wants to see this movies and don't know anything about batman!
    No one would watch these movies before seeing a Batman movie, and we already know we're getting a big budget Batman movie, so this isn't really a good argument I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But that leaves the question, why watch that over something like John Wick, The Raid, Crack or any other "bloody R rated action romp"?
    In this day and age an "bloody R rated action romp" really needs to have an unique style to stand out an be successful.
    Two reasons:
    1. It's already an established character with an established fanbase and Batman connections.
    2. Why wouldn't it have a unique style? Obviously it should have it's own style and voice. I don't know why we'd go in assuming it wouldn't.

Incredible Member

Smaller budget as in back to "NAnaNAnaNanaNanaNanaNanaNanaNana BATMAN!", I could go for again.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I'd actually like to see a low budget Batman flick. No flashy special effects.
    Same here.

Go big on the Batmobile and interesting set pieces and locales, but keep the story tight and focus on Batman as a detective. Noir.

Leave all the comic book villains like Joker and all out of it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Nicolas Winding Refn on a BATGIRL flick that is set up off the Batgirl of Burnside stuff would be RAD.

Black Bat belongs to a different character outside of DC's ownership (and it goes back almost as far as Batman does).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bat

Was relaunched in 2012.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, obviously we're not gonna have Clayface if it's a low budget Batman film, so if the story's just Batman in fabric-leather-kevlar costume instead of armor doing detective works against enemies like Hugo Strange and maybe some fighting it can work.

Yeah, I wanna see what a Batman movie with an indie-like craftmanship looks like.

Extraordinary Member

Two reasons:
    1. It's already an established character with an established fanbase and Batman connections.
    2. Why wouldn't it have a unique style? Obviously it should have it's own style and voice. I don't know why we'd go in assuming it wouldn't.
    Ok I have just Punisher as comaprison, and those movies are really just very generic movie of these genre. On the other hand Punisher is kind of the generic Protagonist of this Genre, while Jason isn't really at least not in the incarnation we had since the beginning of the New 52, a movie with him would have to be little bit more humorous.
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-06-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Ultimate Member

And you tell those folks to get BENT. They don't get to cry that nonsense when the following has happened.

Deadpool- no one asked where are the X-Men in his films

Star Trek-we have had TNG, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise & Discovery-no screamed where is the previous folks

Dr Who has 13 doctors and nobody asked where was the previous folks at.

GI Joe has gone through a TON of Joes in those shows and nobody screamed "where is blank".

Degrassi, Transformers & Power Rangers & Teen Titans say hi too.

It's a few films to showcase characters not replace Batman. Now if they want to act like TOXIC trolls over it-that will be a battle that they will LOSE as Cap Marvel, Black Panther and others have proven.

Why not do those movies since Marvel is doing it with Spider-Man.

Nightwing and others have held successful solos for a REASON. It means that they can stand on their OWN.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Sorry, but there is no way Cassandra Cain works better than Batwoman as an outside property. Nobody outside of the DC Comics fanbase know who this character is, heck, I doubt too many outside the Batman fanbase know her.
    It doesnt matter if people outside of the fandom know who she is. I mean, who the hell knew who Rocket Raccoon and Groot were before the movies? Even within Marvel fandom those weren't well known characters.

Now, you're right that any Batgirl we get is almost certain to be Babs, because she's the classic flavor and she's an easy sell as Gordon's daughter who puts on a cape. However, Cass has some hooks you could set. The Autistic daughter of an assassin who can dance and kill like a pro but can barely communicate? If you get the right people behind the camera that's a fascinating character to explore. I mean, look at how much people loved Laura in Logan. You could totally construct a movie around Cass. Hell, you could do it without involving Batman at all (though why you'd want to is beyond me).

A low budget action-drama exploring Cass' character as she kicks the crap out of people and learns where she comes from, culminating in a battle against her father (or better yet use her mother Shiva)? That's not even an original plot, we've seen that how many times in various genres? And this has the added benefits of the Bat logo and an Autistic hero, which is something we've never seen despite dozens and dozens of superhero movies being made over the last twenty years.

Fun fact, when the first Guardians of the Galaxy came out, a lot of people who were Autistic really connected to Drax because he didn't understand metaphors (and probably some other things, but that's what I remember). And for a lot of kids that had a really big impact. I think if you did it right, Cass would see a groundswell of support.

What do you think?
    I think we're starting to see studios (other than Disney-Marvel) slowly start to realize that they can't compete with the MCU on its own ground, and are starting to (slowly) explore other avenues that allow them to capitalize on superhero popularity while providing movies that aren't direct competition with Marvel. Joker, Deadpool, Logan, Venom, etc. Even Man of Steel's art-piece vibe can be seen as WB attempting to provide a completely different experience than the standard Marvel film. So I think, sure, it could work. Even a small movie budget is going to allow for some fantastic effects and cinematography, and with the Bat roster you don't have to deal with crazy cgi powers, aliens, monsters, etc. So yeah, I think you could totally do it and make it work.

Unfortunately, without all the flash and bang, you're going to have to rely on the quality of the acting, writing, and directing. It's easy to ignore flaws in a movie when there's a lot of explosions and cool effects that'll entertain regardless of how bad the story is. Without all that? You need a really tight script and people who know what they're doing behind and in front of the camera.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-06-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think smaller budget films would absolutely work, when you look at what the daredevil netflix show or the first John Wick movie was able to pull off as far as action sequences you could certainly do movie quality fights on a budget, having Nightwing have a hallway fight like daredevil or a red hood movie with John Wick style fights would be amazing.
    Last edited by regg215; 06-06-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Smaller budget as in back to "NAnaNAnaNanaNanaNanaNanaNanaNana BATMAN!", I could go for again.
    Why would a smaller budget mean going back to campy 60's Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nicolas Winding Refn on a BATGIRL flick that is set up off the Batgirl of Burnside stuff would be RAD.
    Who's Nicolas Winding Refn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Ok I have just Punisher as comaprison, and those movies are really just very generic movie of these genre. On the other hand Punisher is kind of the generic Protagonist of this Genre, while Jason isn't really at least not in the incarnation we had since the beginning of the New 52, a movie with him would have to be little bit more humorous.
    I'd say Red Hood is more Punisher by way of Deadpool, so there'd have to be a lot of style baked in I think. Plus the Punisher films didn't have to be generic because of the character, that's more like on the writers and directors I think. I mean on paper what makes John Wick all that unique? It's all about execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's a few films to showcase characters not replace Batman.
    Pretty much. I figured this would be a great way to see characters in live action we otherwise would either never see, or won't see for many years at best. Characters who'd get a small role on television at best, and even characters who do/could get television series let's face it won't be some big Netflix series like everyone always says they want. A few smaller theatricals, a few DTVs could really get some characters out there more and drive up name recognition. Just play it loose with the film continuity (doesn't have to tie in with the bigger pictures).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think we're starting to see studios (other than Disney-Marvel) slowly start to realize that they can't compete with the MCU on its own ground, and are starting to (slowly) explore other avenues that allow them to capitalize on superhero popularity while providing movies that aren't direct competition with Marvel. Joker, Deadpool, Logan, Venom, etc. Even Man of Steel's art-piece vibe can be seen as WB attempting to provide a completely different experience than the standard Marvel film. So I think, sure, it could work. Even a small movie budget is going to allow for some fantastic effects and cinematography, and with the Bat roster you don't have to deal with crazy cgi powers, aliens, monsters, etc. So yeah, I think you could totally do it and make it work.

Unfortunately, without all the flash and bang, you're going to have to rely on the quality of the acting, writing, and directing. It's easy to ignore flaws in a movie when there's a lot of explosions and cool effects that'll entertain regardless of how bad the story is. Without all that? You need a really tight script and people who know what they're doing behind and in front of the camera.
    Agreed. But if other types of films can pull it off I think the superhero genre can as well. I mean, there are both low budget science fiction and action movies, and superheroes is just kind of a subgenre of those two. And even if a few wind up not being that good, they're not costly enough to tank other films like JL did (WB really changed a lot of their movie plans going forward after that). Less risk even when you do have a failure. But hopefully none of them would fail.

I haven't actually seen any of these myself, but I know there's at least a couple DTV and made for television live action movies of Ben 10. And I have seen a few DTV and made for tv live action Scooby Doo movies (including Daphne and Velma last year). So I think this could also be a great method of introducing some younger audiences to some characters. No reason on earth you can't make a small Robin DTV and still introduce a different on in a big Hollywood picture. Get a Batgirl (any Batgirl) film out on a Nancy Drew budget with a girl empowerment message for kids and teens. Introduce Duke in a Signal movie. Get some more variety and stuff out there we wouldn't get otherwise waiting years for a big major motion picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I think smaller budget films would absolutely work, when you look at what the daredevil netflix show or the first John Wick movie was able to pull off as far as action sequences you could certainly do movie quality fights on a budget, having Nightwing have a hallway fight like daredevil or a red hood movie with John Wick style fights would be amazing.
    A John Wick style Red Hood movie would be amazing!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It doesnt matter if people outside of the fandom know who she is. I mean, who the hell knew who Rocket Raccoon and Groot were before the movies? Even within Marvel fandom those weren't well known characters.

Now, you're right that any Batgirl we get is almost certain to be Babs, because she's the classic flavor and she's an easy sell as Gordon's daughter who puts on a cape. However, Cass has some hooks you could set. The Autistic daughter of an assassin who can dance and kill like a pro but can barely communicate? If you get the right people behind the camera that's a fascinating character to explore. I mean, look at how much people loved Laura in Logan. You could totally construct a movie around Cass. Hell, you could do it without involving Batman at all (though why you'd want to is beyond me).

A low budget action-drama exploring Cass' character as she kicks the crap out of people and learns where she comes from, culminating in a battle against her father (or better yet use her mother Shiva)? That's not even an original plot, we've seen that how many times in various genres? And this has the added benefits of the Bat logo and an Autistic hero, which is something we've never seen despite dozens and dozens of superhero movies being made over the last twenty years.

Fun fact, when the first Guardians of the Galaxy came out, a lot of people who were Autistic really connected to Drax because he didn't understand metaphors (and probably some other things, but that's what I remember). And for a lot of kids that had a really big impact. I think if you did it right, Cass would see a groundswell of support.

I’ve always personally felt like Cassandra’s essentials sell themselves better in terms of “What’s the hook?” Babs’s biggest advantage is being iconic, Steph’s is her larger-than-life personality, and Kate has an excellent history to draw from...but Cassandra Cain is made to exploit the visual storytelling aspects of film and cartoons. She’s got immediately identifiable quirks and highlights as a character concept, and is the easiest to summarize to other people when you want to explain what makes her unique.

To be frank, her general selling points either have already been adapted into a film or TV show somewhere, or will be, and if you add in the Batman connection and her pretty straightforward and emotionally loaded origin and motivation? That feels like an instant winner. To be even more frank, coming up with some kind of simple but effective story for her and an in-film character arc shouldn’t be hard.

The hard part is again getting the actress who can play the role. I’m hopeful about the young lady cast for Birds Of Prey... but we don’t know yet. Regardless, at some point, someone at Warner Brothers needs to see the goldmine the character is sitting on and exploit it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP