Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    But just because people now expect these movies to be huge special effects extravaganzas doesn't mean there isn't an audience for smaller superhero films. Actually, because these kinds of films largely don't exist, we can't say if there wouldn't be an audience for them, or if the expectations would doom it. Certainly superhero movies with relatively speaking smaller budgets have works, such as Kick-Ass and the first Deadpool.
    I don't know much about Kick-Ass, but Deadpool positioned itself as a parody of superhero movies, and that changed the expectations from both financiers and movie audiences. It didn't promise spectacle and action (though it contained it), it promised self-awareness and zany jokes.

A low-budget (comparative, $50 million is low budget for today's comic book movies, but astronomical for most everything else) Batgirl or Nightwing or Martian Manhunter movie would be in a different situation. They won't have the brand recognition of say Batman or Joker to bully through the saturation of the media landscape, and the lower scale of production budget won't justify the marketing needed.

Now, Matt Reeves's Batman might change that. A well-received noir Bruce Wayne-focused Batman movie might change the expectations on what a good superhero movie should look like.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I'd like to see Robert Eggers do an Arkham Asylum movie, perhaps one focused on Amadeus Arkham establishing the first Asylum.
    Who's Eggers?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I don't know much about Kick-Ass, but Deadpool positioned itself as a parody of superhero movies, and that changed the expectations from both financiers and movie audiences. It didn't promise spectacle and action (though it contained it), it promised self-awareness and zany jokes.

A low-budget (comparative, $50 million is low budget for today's comic book movies, but astronomical for most everything else) Batgirl or Nightwing or Martian Manhunter movie would be in a different situation. They won't have the brand recognition of say Batman or Joker to bully through the saturation of the media landscape, and the lower scale of production budget won't justify the marketing needed.

Now, Matt Reeves's Batman might change that. A well-received noir Bruce Wayne-focused Batman movie might change the expectations on what a good superhero movie should look like.
    Yes, but again, we're arguing about expectations, when that really doesn't matter in my opinion, since the ceiling for success is so much lower. The question is, will it interest enough people to make a profit on it's lower budget? It doesn't have to meet expectations of what people expect from a typical superhero movie because it doesn't need to reach the same threshold as a typical superhero movie. The expectations for how much money it needs is just as different as the expectations of how pricey and glitzy a superhero movie has to look. You can't argue about audience expectations and also ignore the profit expectations as well. And even on the audience expectations it doesn't matter, because we have no real evidence. We don't have a lot of low budget superhero movies to look at and say how they did or didn't suffer from audience expectations, they don't exist. Basically, such a film would be an unheralded experiment, so we can't judge how expectations would play out.

Extraordinary Member

Actually "Birds of Prey" seems to go in the low budget direction, it has only a Budget of 58 Million Dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Actually "Birds of Prey" seems to go in the low budget direction, it has only a Budget of 58 Million Dollar.
    Yeah, still feels like our threshold for "smaller budgeted" is pretty high here, I mean I was inspired to make this thread because of the recent Nancy Drew, and there's no way that was $50-something million. Still think a small scale, mystery driven Batgirl movie done in that sort of vein would work really well and be great for kids. Something you could stumble on at the store and be treated by.

Extraordinary Member

For more action-movie comparisons, the first John Wick cost roughly $40 million, while the First Never Back Down cost around $20 million, the same as Nancy Drew, Taken was $45 million, The Punisher was $35 million, and Warrior (the MMA movie with Tom Hardy) cost $25 million.

Sooo... here’s some ideas for *comparatively* cheaper Batfamily movies you could make for specific characters:

- Tim Drake - An adaptation of his first mini-series, where he’s learning the ropes from Lady Shiva and King Snake is the bad guy, with street thugs from the Ghost Dragons. The setting of the comic mini-series would be expensive, but you could modify that and King Snake’s scheme a bit.

- Jason Todd - Since he’s kind of a throwback action hero himself, just making a premise that feels old school could work. So, how’s about this: Jason finds out about a massacre that occurred just south of the border, and that security firm might have been involved, so he goes undercover with the firm to suss out the guilty parties, and guns are fired and knifes are stabbed.

- Cassandra Cain - I’d use some of her and her Dad’s confrontations for the main conflict of the film, but honestly just getting a hell of an actor/stunt person would do most of this premise’s work. Have David Cain hired to kill someone by Penguin or someone, and have Cass try and track down her dad in her own way, highlighting her learning disability and having flashbacks as well. End on a complicated feeling from Cass towards her dad... and then the Sequel brings in her mom...

- Catwoman - Okay, trying to have a good idea here, and this would of course be primarily a “Thief has to get past security” film, but I’d make part of the appeal be that Selina’s doing a job as a favor to Bruce Wayne, and throw in some of their complicated relationship for the comedy and maybe some late stage conflict of one of them seems to double cross the other.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 06-05-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    For more action-movie comparisons, the first John Wick cost roughly $40 million, while the First Never Back Down cost around $20 million, the same as Nancy Drew, Taken was $45 million, The Punisher was $35 million, and Warrior (the MMA movie with Tom Hardy) cost $25 million.

Sooo... here’s some ideas for *comparatively* cheaper Batfamily movies you could make for specific characters:

- Tim Drake - An adaptation of his first mini-series, where he’s learning the ropes from Lady Shiva and King Snake is the bad guy, with street thugs from the Ghost Dragons. The setting of the comic mini-series would be expensive, but you could modify that and King Snake’s scheme a bit.

- Jason Todd - Since he’s kind of a throwback action hero himself, just making a premise that feels old school could work. So, how’s about this: Jason finds out about a massacre that occurred just south of the border, and that security firm might have been involved, so he goes undercover with the firm to sis’s out the guilty parties, and guns are fired and knifes are stabbed.

- Cassandra Cain - I’d use some of her and her Dad’s confrontations for the main conflict of the film, but honestly just getting a hell of an actor/stunt person would do most of this premise’s work. Have David Cain hired to kill someone by Penguin or someone, and have Cass try and track down her dad in her own way, highlighting her learning disability and having flashbacks as well. End on a complicated feeling from Cass towards her dad... and then the Sequel brings in her mom...

- Catwoman - Okay, trying to have a good idea here, and this would of course be primarily a “Thief has to get past security” film, but I’d make part of the appeal be that Selina’s doing a job as a favor to Bruce Wayne, and throw in some of their complicated relationship for the comedy and maybe some late stage conflict of one of them seems to double cross the other.
    Okay, this feels a lot closer to the lower budget premise I started this thread with, and I really love some of your ideas! And nice character picks to use too.

Yeah I like to see Batgirl movie especially if it something like "Batgirl : yearone" and try to stop a cheap villain like killer moth but the other batfamily no I don't think so. all Robins related to batman. Imagine they want to make Redhood movie they need batman to tell their origin... Robin (Dick Grayson) need batman for origin story... of course they can show us Robin is with batman in one batman solo movie but after that make robin into Nightwing and after that they could create a Nightwing solo movie. but about Batgirl it should be after at least one batman movie and after that they can made this movie and they don't need to use batman even a cameo is enough for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisto View Post
    Yeah I like to see Batgirl movie especially if it something like "Batgirl : yearone" and try to stop a cheap villain like killer moth but the other batfamily no I don't think so. all Robins related to batman. Imagine they want to make Redhood movie they need batman to tell their origin... Robin (Dick Grayson) need batman for origin story... of course they can show us Robin is with batman in one batman solo movie but after that make robin into Nightwing and after that they could create a Nightwing solo movie. but about Batgirl it should be after at least one batman movie and after that they can made this movie and they don't need to use batman even a cameo is enough for this.
    Okay, hard to read all that, but: Would it change your mind if these weren't in continuity DCEU movies but just their own thing? So you wouldn't need a big BIG Batman movie to introduce Robin or Nightwing or whatever, but just have a smaller Batman appearance when needed.

Extraordinary Member

Okay, hard to read all that, but: Would it change your mind if these weren't in continuity DCEU movies but just their own thing? So you wouldn't need a big BIG Batman movie to introduce Robin or Nightwing or whatever, but just have a smaller Batman appearance when needed.
    “Titans” is getting Iain Glen as a 50+ year old Batman. If Pattinson doesn’t want to show for a low budget film, I’m sure someone else could.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I want a flashy Batgirl of Burnside flick. Doesn't need a crazy budget, but needs someone with a real vision.

Jason Todd as Red Hood would work better as a television series. Even with a supporting cast (being part of different variations of the Outlaws and all that). If it was kind of a dark humor sort of series, like Gotham did at times, I think that would fit.

As for Cass, while a great character, you would need a VERY strong young actress to even attempt a stand-alone film. With the whole mute/not much of a talker later on thing. And while Black Bat is a good name, there are legal reasons why they can't use it anymore.

I'd actually like to see a low budget Batman flick. No flashy special effects.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Cassandra has on her own with out the rest of the Batfamily kind of the same problem that the Punisher movies have.

In the comics her stick is unique, but when it comes to movies, there are are tons of martial art movies and probably the majority of them have Asian leads. in the movies she really needs imo a strong Batfrachise to be successfull.

Like I said i think it is similar with Punisher, if they made punisher movie and would really connected it to the MCU I think it could be a success. But without that connection all the Punisher movies we had sofar were just generic r-rated Action movies, and there are just way cooler and more stylish action movies out there than the Punisher movies.

I think Red Hood would have a similar Problem.
    The huge number of sci fi movies didn't harm Guardians of the Galaxy. The large number of spy movies hasn't stopped Blck Widow from getting a film or people asking for one. The large number of movies about Greek mythology wasn't a hindrance for WW.

It's not about how unique the idea is in films in general but rather how unique it is among superheroes. Audiences care more about execution than originality any way.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-05-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Dude um... you are right but I don't think in Movie format they wil be good I think in TV format it will be better
    but I agreed with you to making a Batgirl movie , I love Batgirl more than other female DC characters!