Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Wishes for a Reboot..

Hello,

I must say that I hope for a new DC Reboot:

I would love to see a return to Pre-Flashpoint with some influences of NEW52 and Rebirth..

Like for Super-Family:

I would LOVE to see Jonathan and Martha return, living at the Kent Farm, Conner finished the school and lives in an appartment with Cassie (both 22 years old), Lois-Clark and Jonathan Samuel (Jonathan Samuel 13 years old) living in Metropolis....

Martha with Lophi living also in Smallville next to the Kents House...

I never understood why DC let Jonathan and Martha Kent die in NEW52....

It would be cool to see Jonathan Samuel Kent growing up knowing his Grandparents and knowing Conner..

For Flash-Family:

Heroes in Crisis never happened, because Wally lives together with Linda and his 2 kids (Iris West II as new Impulse), Barry as kind of senior Flash and Bart as Kid Flash...
    Jay Garrick and Wife and Max Mercury and wife as Guest-Stars...

It's an unpopular opinion here, but I really wish for a full, hard, clean slate reboot starting everybody back at their origins again and ditching all legacies for a good 5-10 years when they're reintroduced as sidekicks once more. So Batman back at the beginning of his solo career, then later teamed up with young Richard Grayson as Robin. Superman back in his year one, secret identity a mystery to Lois for the first few years. Barry Allen still new as the Flash, just starting to date Iris. Again, a lot of people here hate the idea, but it's the only reboot I want to see.

Mighty Member

Clean State works for me, BUT not so much back in time...

I would like to mix end of Pre-Flashpoint, with Jonathan Samuel Kent,Jonathan and Martha Kent...

The back to the very beginning happens in the Films every 5-10 years and its annoying and we saw that to often...

Besides you would exclude many characters like Jonathan Samuel Kent,Conner Kent,Bart Allen....and Wally West is more popular under the Comic Fans than Barry which also the reactions to HiC show...
    I think almost everyone would be perfectly ok with my idea, since I think it was one of the most popular Eras and with Barry AND Wally as 2 Flashes back you would make the Fans happy..

Just leave this completely complicated annyoing timeline problems out, clean it out and transform Pre-Flashpoint,NEW52 and Rebirth in a timeline which has all the important Events in it, BUT without being 3 diffrerent timelines...

Reboots aren't the magic key solution to everything.

People were unhappy with the direction of the original DC universe with things like Identity Crisis, Cry for Justice, etc. so they rebooted with New 52. People didn't like that so they did a soft reboot with Rebirth. People now have issues with that. The common factor? The same people were in charge over all of those changes.

Reboots don't work if the same people that "messed it up" to begin with are still in charge over the new stuff. The only actual change you'll ever see in the company's direction is if the upper staff changes.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

You also unavoidable end up with new continuity hiccups after a few years of stories. Its just the nature of a shared universe being worked on by numerous creators. So rebooting is just a temporary fix, and to get there you sacrificed years of character development, or in many cases, you've sacrificed characters outright.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    You also unavoidable end up with new continuity hiccups after a few years of stories. Its just the nature of a shared universe being worked on by numerous creators. So rebooting is just a temporary fix, and to get there you sacrificed years of character development, or in many cases, you've sacrificed characters outright.
    Not in my idea:

My idea is to put Pre-Flashpoint,NEW52 and Rebirth TOGETHER...

So for example Super-Family:

Clark was born 1982, comes to Earth 1982, then becomes Superman and dies in the Year 2012 and comes back, Conner gets "born" 2007 and becomes part of the Kent Family, one year later 2008 Jonathan Samuel Kent is born and so now Clark is 37 Years old and Jonathan 11 and Conner is 26 (because of being born as teenager)...

So my idea is to take Pre-Flashpoint as basis, remove the unneccessary Events and put the Rebirth,NEW52 Characters just into (the one which DC would like to keep)...

So you then have a clean Timeline without one being from one timeline and the other from another etc. etc.
    It takes a lot of work, but then you have a clean timeline...

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Reboots aren't the magic key solution to everything.

People were unhappy with the direction of the original DC universe with things like Identity Crisis, Cry for Justice, etc. so they rebooted with New 52. People didn't like that so they did a soft reboot with Rebirth. People now have issues with that. The common factor? The same people were in charge over all of those changes.

Reboots don't work if the same people that "messed it up" to begin with are still in charge over the new stuff. The only actual change you'll ever see in the company's direction is if the upper staff changes.
    Exactly this. They can reboot again and nothing will change unless it's a new staff heading the reboot.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Exactly this. They can reboot again and nothing will change unless it's a new staff heading the reboot.
    There is some truth to this. One reason that the Post-COIE reboot (kind of) worked was because with that reboot also came a mass, generational changing of the guard among the DC staff. Out with Julie Schwartz and Curt Swan; in with John Byrne.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Clean State works for me, BUT not so much back in time...
    Then it's not a clean slate. You still want to cherry pick the bits of continuity you like to keep, such as Superman having a son, Wally having graduated from Kid Flash, etc. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just saying that's not a clean slate.

Edit: Also, I don't like the fact that Jonathan Samuel Kent exists, I'd never have given Superman a son. Same for Damian and Batman. Unpopular opinions I know, so unpopular that I feel people on the Superman forums would chuck rotten tomatoes at me if they could, but I think giving them biological kids was taking this damned legacy thing a step too far. But even so, you could bring back popular legacy characters eventually, you'd just have to pick which ones to bring back, when, and how.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 06-05-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Then it's not a clean slate. You still want to cherry pick the bits of continuity you like to keep, such as Superman having a son, Wally having graduated from Kid Flash, etc. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just saying that's not a clean slate.

Edit: Also, I don't like the fact that Jonathan Samuel Kent exists, I'd never have given Superman a son. Same for Damian and Batman. Unpopular opinions I know, so unpopular that I feel people on the Superman forums would chuck rotten tomatoes at me if they could, but I think giving them biological kids was taking this damned legacy thing a step too far. But even so, you could bring back popular legacy characters eventually, you'd just have to pick which ones to bring back, when, and how.
    I'm with you, I wouldn't have given them children either. For those of us who care about continuity it poses potential problems in the future. Over at Marvel you had young Franklin Richards who hung out with the Power Pack kids, for example--and as those kids were shown to grow and mature into young adults--at least some of them--Franklin seemed to regress and become even younger. I understand they've aged him up finally, but I can foresee similar problems arising with the Super Sons over time.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Astonishing Member

It's an unpopular opinion here, but I really wish for a full, hard, clean slate reboot starting everybody back at their origins again and ditching all legacies for a good 5-10 years when they're reintroduced as sidekicks once more. So Batman back at the beginning of his solo career, then later teamed up with young Richard Grayson as Robin. Superman back in his year one, secret identity a mystery to Lois for the first few years. Barry Allen still new as the Flash, just starting to date Iris. Again, a lot of people here hate the idea, but it's the only reboot I want to see.
    I agree with you.

Soft reboots don't work; we had abundant evidence of this.

You can't hang on to the old and embrace the new.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This is an unpopular opinion but I actually liked the New 52 and wished it had worked out. I understand why it didn't and why a lot of people hated it. BUT speaking strictly as a Superman fan, I felt like, and still do feel like, he needed a clean slate. His history was a mess and, quite frankly, New 52 gave him one of the best origins he's ever had. One that's now been stripped away. I don't know that I can ever get as attached to the current continuity as I was to New 52. For one thing, I'm not too enamored with him having a kid. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Super-marriage. And my understanding was that the books would have eventually headed in that direction. But I still believe he needs a clean slate and New 52 was perfect for that. I also get that not everyone fared as well as he did during that time (Superboy, Wally, Donna, pretty much anyone who was a sidekick outside of Dick or Damien).

The only upside is that Earth One appears to be the clean slate that we all want. The downside, of course, is that the books only come out once in a blue moon and once the creators are done with them, that appears to be it. I have no idea how long this concept will last. I kind of wish that we could get a sort of Ultimates universe with some of the New 52 characters. Not all of them. But just the ones that were particularly unique to their modern day versions. Like Superman and Wonder Woman.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    For one thing, I'm not too enamored with him having a kid. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Super-marriage.
    Brother! It's nice to know I'm not the only one...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Brother! It's nice to know I'm not the only one...
    It's not a deal breaker for me necessarily but if they're going to do it I would prefer the Chris Kent method where he more or less stays out of the way rather than follow his dad on adventures. Let Superman be Superman. I don't think I've bought a mainstream Superman comic in something like two years. I thought about picking up the Lois book when it comes out but I also don't want to reward behavior I don't agree with either. I'm still mad about the whole New 52 thing not working out.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is an unpopular opinion but I actually liked the New 52 and wished it had worked out. I understand why it didn't and why a lot of people hated it. BUT speaking strictly as a Superman fan, I felt like, and still do feel like, he needed a clean slate. His history was a mess and, quite frankly, New 52 gave him one of the best origins he's ever had. One that's now been stripped away. I don't know that I can ever get as attached to the current continuity as I was to New 52. For one thing, I'm not too enamored with him having a kid. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Super-marriage. And my understanding was that the books would have eventually headed in that direction. But I still believe he needs a clean slate and New 52 was perfect for that. I also get that not everyone fared as well as he did during that time (Superboy, Wally, Donna, pretty much anyone who was a sidekick outside of Dick or Damien).

The only upside is that Earth One appears to be the clean slate that we all want. The downside, of course, is that the books only come out once in a blue moon and once the creators are done with them, that appears to be it. I have no idea how long this concept will last. I kind of wish that we could get a sort of Ultimates universe with some of the New 52 characters. Not all of them. But just the ones that were particularly unique to their modern day versions. Like Superman and Wonder Woman.
    There were some concepts in the New 52 that I liked and hope would be reinstated in a potential reboot.