Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm gonna assume by baggage you mean the later Bat family, but what makes them baggage compared to the earlier ones? Because if we're talking about that, there are people who view the original Batgirl and Robin as baggage already and just want a solo Batman with all his villains.
    yes, I am referring to the multiple Robins and Batgirls and others. I also refer to the 500 plus bat-villains that may or may not return. I am also referring older stories that may or may not be reintroduced in some form or another. I am talking about simplicity that cannot be had in the current DCU.

yes, some people want Batman only versus his villains; some don't. There will be stories enough for all of us.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    Personally, if I were in charge of a hard reboot, I'd try to have as little human GL's as possible. I'd basically keep it at Hal and John.
    I agree.

DC has a whole spectrum of lanterns now. Why can't Kyle be Earth's Blue Lantern?

Spectacular Member

More than a reboot, DC needs a boot. As in Didio/Lee out.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    yes, I am referring to the multiple Robins and Batgirls and others. I also refer to the 500 plus bat-villains that may or may not return. I am also referring older stories that may or may not be reintroduced in some form or another. I am talking about simplicity that cannot be had in the current DCU.

yes, some people want Batman only versus his villains; some don't. There will be stories enough for all of us.
    That’s fair. I’ve just never wondered if certain characters or stories were still cannon or not when I read current books so I never really noticed any of the baggage. What you’re suggesting is basically how I already see the current DCU (outside of the charters being a tad older).

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No, because New 52 screwed up by changing too much that's supposed to be familiar. All the classic DC cartoons tend to have a sense of familiarity with them when they start and the ones who introduce baffling elements were not received well, like when The Killing Joke movie made Babs had sex with Bruce and New 52 Superman made Lois had sex with someone else.
    Thing is though, a lot of things are not universal familiarities, they're what the individual from a certain age group is familiar with. Its a relative term in many cases. For example, Lois not being with Clark and having other relationships is only unfamiliar to a certain age group. To people who've been reading before the 90s, it wasn't remotely odd. There's a few universal understandings don't get me wrong, like Superman being rocketed off Krypton as a baby or Batman's parents being murdered in front of him, but there's even more that's always been up to multiple interpretation. There's an inherent flaw of crafting any of these stories/continuities/whatever based on the blanket statement of what people are familiar with, because outside of origins (and even there there's differences in the details), you'll always end up ignoring sections of the your readership, as they're all not universally used to the same things in regards to the details.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-08-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    I would love to see a return to Pre-Flashpoint with some influences of NEW52 and Rebirth..
    We all want want we want, and that's cool. But what longtime fans (like me) want is what we fell in love with 10+ years ago, or a tweak based upon the DCU in our head. Debbie Downer moment:

DC is still a comic publisher, but- they're morphing into an IP farm that publishes what amounts to collected stories that serve as TV/film treatments.

We are close to the last days of the "connected" DCU that - at least somewhat - still resembles all our favorites from pre-2010. And DC's future output will only move further and further away from what worked in the Direct Market over the last 30 years. And their output will only become less and less less recognizable to those of us that remember all those eras. In 5 years, very little of that will be represented in their output. In 10 years, almost none of it.

It's just...inevitable.
    Last edited by Dr. Ellingham; 06-08-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    We all want want we want, and that's cool. But what longtime fans (like me) want is what we fell in love with 10+ years ago, or a tweak based upon the DCU in our head. Debbie Downer moment:

DC is still a comic publisher, but- they're morphing into an IP farm that publishes what amounts to collected stories that serve as TV/film treatments.

We are close to the last days of the "connected" DCU that - at least somewhat - still resembles all our favorites from pre-2010. And DC's future output will only move further and further away from what worked in the Direct Market over the last 30 years. And their output will only become less and less less recognizable to those of us that remember all those eras. In 5 years, very little of that will be represented in their output. In 10 years, almost none of it.

It's just...inevitable.
    You're probably right.

All things change.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

I don't think they need another reboot. But if DC were to go that route the best advice I could give would be to spend the time to plan it out and commit to it. It's pretty clear they did not have much time to execute an overall plan for new 52. I would do a entire year at least of nothing but ending current continuity. Everyone gets one year to wrap things up entirely. Then after we close the book on our current universe and we go into the new reboot continuity.

I don't see any need for a reboot. Aside from the Ric business I like things the way they are. Plus just got my kids into comics. The current setup is working for us.

Yeah I'm not really seeing much need for a reboot either. Then again, I didn't see a need for a reboot the first time they did it (or does New 52 count as the second time).

But if we just HAD to reboot, and I was in charge, I'd basically make things a mix of pre and post Flashpoint. Kinda like what Rebirth was already doing.

Mostly though, I'd just fix the complete and utter mess that the Teen Titans and their history have become. Starting with Cyborg. None of that founding league member bullshit. He can still be in the league (in fact, I'd probably but Kory there too) but he was a Titan first
    Last edited by Blue22; 06-11-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Mostly though, I'd just fix the complete and utter mess that the Teen Titans and their history have become. Starting with Cyborg. None of that founding league member bullshit. He can still be in the league (in fact, I'd probably but Kory there too) but he was a Titan first
    But I like Cyborg as a founding league member. He's there to fill their teenage superhero role, their POC role, and their technology expert role.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

The league doesn't particularly need a "kid" character and if they did, there are plenty of other options. And He can still be their POC and tech expert while keeping his long and awesome history with the Titans still intact by putting him on but just not making him a founding member. Taking the Titans away from him just so he can fill some arbitrary token quota feels kinda disrespectful. Then again, disrespecting the Titans' legacy has been DCs MO for years now :/

Besides, if we just HAVE to **** over Martian Manhunter by replacing him as a founding member just to throw in their obligatory black guy (even though J'onn has had his black card for a while now, if you ask me XD), there's plenty of options I'd have gone with before touching Cyborg. John Stewart (kicking Hal off instead of J'onn), either of the Steels, Mr. Terrific, Bronze Tiger, Black Lightning. Any of those would have worked for me.
    Last edited by Blue22; 06-11-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post

It's just...inevitable.
    I suspect that within ten years what we know as the floppy market will no longer exist. Trades might cease to exist within 20. Within 5 years we'll all be debating DC's plan to phase out physical comics. I have a theory: I don't think long term continuity works. When he was created, Iron Man got his start in Vietnam. Today, it's in Afghanistan. Now, when Stan Lee created him 50+ years ago, did he take into consideration the possibility that Iron Man would still be around in 50 years and that Vietnam might have to be changed to something else? Probably not. He was probably just thinking about selling a new book. Things get added and taken out all the time. See Superman circa 1986. But a lot of people get attached to the things that get taken out. And want them put back in. And a lot of people are just fine with the changes the way they are. So you end up with a divided fanbase. And some of them are simply not going to get what they want. So do they just walk away? Does DC risk losing that fanbase? Sometimes there are no good options.
    Assassinate Putin!

Spectacular Member

The only thing DC needs to do is put things back to the way they were in 1999. Not changing character history by adding Silver Age elements back into it.

New 52 could have been done this way.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    The only thing DC needs to do is put things back to the way they were in 1999. Not changing character history by adding Silver Age elements back into it.

New 52 could have been done this way.
    I can think of several things I'd like to go back to 1999 on. (cough) Star Wars (cough)
    Assassinate Putin!