Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Would A Batman/Wonder Woman Marriage Look Like?

I'm not particularly a fan of the Catwoman/Batman relationship, but the wedding debacle had gotten me curious about what a married Batman would pan out. Whether or not they are a good match, I think from a storytelling standpoint, a Wonder Woman/Batman marriage would be the most interesting. Would Bruce be the first man to set foot on Paradise Island? Would he adopt Amazon technology? Maybe he would drift away from Gotham City to become more of an international hero.

*Not too caught up om my Wonder Woman lore.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-30-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

A thousand more variant covers... oh wait, that's not what you meant
    Other men have stepped foot on Paradise Island for the first time though I lost track of who and when... oh you mean if he's in Steve Trevor's role? I prefer the least retcon possible.
    Amazon tech is not out of the question especially the purple healing ray. He needs those.
    He's staying in Gotham. Since Wondy's speedy and can fly, she'll still handle the international threat while he became the Stay At Home Hero.

Apart from DC using this marriage as bait again, I'm not fully against the idea (even as the Wonder fan in me screams in fear). Mostly because DC has crushed my enjoyment of BatCat considerably. As well as other "will they, won't they"-relationships.

If they were married my ideal would be that Diana and Bruce mostly interact on the "business" side of their life. Meaning that their combined storylines focus on Wayne Enterprise and the Amazon Embassies. Daily superheroing should stay largely untouched by their relationship. Maybe Batman Inc. could be used again to work with specific groups of Amazons all over the world.

Also on the plus side, Nicola Scott would totally love to draw Diana and Bruce as a couple in an official comic.

According to Talia:

wed4l.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    According to Talia:

wed4l.jpg
    Where in the world is this mess from?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

there is even a forum for the ship
    https://batmanwonderwoman.com/forum/

Fun topic: everything wrong with BatCat
    https://batmanwonderwoman.com/forum/...php?f=4&t=67764
    It's funny how despite how much DC insists on Catwoman being the poor misunderstood anti-hero, they still are making no effort to downplay her crimes. They just have everyone being uncharacteristically cool seeing her vandalize and steal from others, and just treat the whole thing as more of a endearing quirk rather than an actual crime. I mean King had Bruce literally help her recover her stash of stolen diamond, and then proceeded to have sex on top of it, that's how cool he is with her thieving. Or having Alfred shaking his head in amusement after seeing her coming back from pulling a robbery on a store to steal a wedding dress, which involved blowing up the floor of the store. She even wore that dress without anyone questioning her on where she got it. Figure that one out.
    Catwoman becoming bi caused quite the outrage back it was first revealed. I remember reading someone shrieking about how DC could've made ANY other character bi, but they opted for Catwoman because they hated BatCat.

That whole thing has all but been forgotten now. I rarely see it mentioned ever, even when queer characters in comics are being discussed. That's how desperate people are to forgot it. Catwoman is Batsexual. She simply can't afford to be anything else. She's been around since 1940, and yet DC has failed to define her existence by anything other than her relationship with Batman. Without that people wouldn't know how to look at her, and they know that, and DC knows that as well. So no, changing Catwoman's sexual orientation isn't the way to go.
    All to service a doomed relationship with a character who has no future without being attached to Batman
    DC can't afford to give Catwoman any competition because she'd lose to a piece of cardboard in terms of character
    (this forum has way more interesting discussion about the characters than i expect)
    They do make a point about the problem in potraying BatCat relationship. It has reached a point where you either make them committed to each other or just break them up. Batman should never be the kind of guy that let another woman play with his feelings over and over again.

There's simply no answer for why Batman's relationship with Catwoman is the way it is. It used to be about Batman seeing the good in her and trying to have her leave her life of crime behind, but that narrative simply can't work anymore. Catwoman can't stop being a thief, it's literally her only character trait, which her entire persona is built around. And yet she can't lean heavily on her thieving side because that complicates her BatCat prospects and we can't have that. So if her character has nowhere to go, the burden will always fall on Batman to explain why the relationship exists or has to stop.

You know how in a relationship, there's a "reacher" and a "settler" (I believe this came from HIMYM) ? Well in comics, if you pair up a terrible character with a much better one, the better character will always have to shoulder any potential damage because the other character simply can't afford it. That's why it will always be Bruce' paranoia, pesky moral code, or even his miserableness that torpedos BatCat, rather than the obvious reason of her being a criminal. As long as DC wants to market Catwoman, BatCat ain't going nowhere, regardless of what that does to Batman's character.
    https://batmanwonderwoman.com/forum/...t=bane#p136538
    Last edited by prepmaster; 02-01-2021 at 08:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Where in the world is this mess from?
    I've never seen it before but the style looks like the Brave and the Bold cartoon so I'm guessing the tie in comic to that.

All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #4 (April 2011)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I'm not particularly a fan of the Catwoman/Batman relationship, but the wedding debacle had gotten me curious about what a married Batman would pan out. Whether or not they are a good match, I think from a storytelling standpoint, a Wonder Woman/Batman marriage would be the most interesting. Would Bruce be the first man to set foot on Paradise Island? Would he adopt Amazon technology? Maybe he would drift away from Gotham City to become more of an international hero.

*Not too caught up om my Wonder Woman lore.

Kinky is the word that comes to my mind.

BANNED

The thing is that despite DC's attempt to show Catwoman as THE woman for Batman she hardly ever appeared in the Batman, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin, Birds of Prey and such books, and when she did appear in Batman and Detective Comics it was for a short arc where writers would one of two takes with her: the damsel in distress - where she caught herself in a messy situation and so needs Batman's to help her out, or where she was hurt by a villain that is trying to get at Batman through her. Or the wild card thief - where Batman asks her to help him steal something important for him, or infiltrate the villain's business to help him destabilize the villain in the long run. Those are the only two ways writers ever use her. Even then is very sporadic. She's hardly present in any book. Not even in things like Harley Quinn or Suicide Squad she appear. Writers simple don't find her terribly interesting.

There's a big difference between Superman & Lois and Batman & Catwoman.: Lois Lane has always been a fixture of the comics, this even during the times Superman and Lois weren't supposed to be an item like during THE NEW 52. She still showed up regularly in Superman, Action Comics and even Superman/Wonder Woman. Writers like to write about Lois. She always has a place be it in a Clark Kent story or a Superman story.

Catwoman, though, rarely shows up in the Batman comics. I've mentioned this before. She only shows up to play the damsel in distress in an arc meant to showcase their relationship or as an ace in the hole when they need to justify the existence of MacGuffin without much thought put into it and even then she's rarely a presence in either type of stories. Otherwise writers have no idea what to do with her. They'd rather use Alfred, James Gordon, one of the Robins or then one the Batgirls. Not to mention how bloated the Batman cast has become over the years. There's no shortage of character to use. Many much more versatile and interesting to use than Catwoman.
    https://batmanwonderwoman.com/forum/...563&start=1080
    https://batmanwonderwoman.com/forum/...+Quinn#p132907

Even when BatCat are committed to each other, one of the two has to change drastically or the marriage is not gonna last since
    Batman need for control and Catwoman need for independence
    https://batmanwonderwoman.com/forum/...563&start=1160
    Last edited by prepmaster; 02-01-2021 at 08:11 PM.

Dear lord that whole thread was toxic to the maximum level. This was even before issue 50 of his Batman run. Those people are what I hate about this fandom.

Exceedingly unhappy. Batman is now by very nature a dour, distant, and cold person. Not to mention mentally unstable, to be frank. You have to be attracted to that kinda darkness and accept that kind of coldness, and/or have some of it yourself (like Selina) and that's not Diana. JL/U poisoned a whole generation in that regard. WW goes for at the very least stable, oftentimes sweet and quirky.

Now if we were talking Silver/Bronze Age Batman that's a different discussion, but the Batman of the past 30 years its difficult to see her even being friends with the guy much less a wife.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-31-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Exceedingly unhappy. Batman is now by very nature a dour, distant, and cold person. You have to be attracted to that kinda darkness and accept that kind of coldness, and/or have some of it yourself (like Selina) and that's not Diana. JL/U poisoned a whole generation in that regard.

Now if we were talking Silver/Bronze Age Batman that's a different discussion, but the Batman of the past 30 years its difficult to see her even being friends with the guy much less a wife.
    It's a stretch at this point she'd even want to be considered his friend given stuff like his contingency torture plans for her or when his runaway A.I . ended up getting scores of Amazons killed.

The only scenario where she’d fall in love with him is believable is a DCAU situation where the creators choose to rewrite her entire personality and discard her traditional one so that she overlooks all of Bruce’s flaws.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-31-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Exceedingly unhappy. Batman is now by very nature a dour, distant, and cold person. Not to mention mentally unstable, to be frank. You have to be attracted to that kinda darkness and accept that kind of coldness, and/or have some of it yourself (like Selina) and that's not Diana. JL/U poisoned a whole generation in that regard. WW goes for at the very least stable, oftentimes sweet and quirky.

Good Lord, must every thread devolve into a Bruce bashing fest...