Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default Your current ranking of DC as a whole?

Easy question. On a scale of 1-10 what is your current enjoyment level of the product DC has been putting out and do you think things are getting better or worse?

For me it a is 3. There are a few gems, but by and large I have lost interest in most everything DC these days. Why they are still leaning so hard into the characters from the poorly received Futuretense event is beyond me. The current management seems to have no plan at all about how to turn things around either, and intstead seem hell bent on leaning into what people don't like instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Easy question. On a scale of 1-10 what is your current enjoyment level of the product DC has been putting out and do you think things are getting better or worse?

For me it a is 3. There are a few gems, but by and large I have lost interest in most everything DC these days. Why they are still leaning so hard into the characters from the poorly received Futuretense event is beyond me. The current management seems to have no plan at all about how to turn things around either, and intstead seem hell bent on leaning into what people don't like instead.
    I'm assuming on your scale that a "1" is bad and a "10" is Totally Excellent?

I would say about a 7/10, I will admit that when it comes to their characters they can be kind of boneheaded, to name a few the past 10 years of Legion, JSA, Birds of Prey and what the hell was "Ric" Grayson and Heroes In Crisis. However, to say they are awful would be to disregard actual good stories I've read, characters I like (new and old), and genuine fun I have had up even to today. Stories like Green Lanterns, Super Sons, DCeased, White Knight, Superman up in the sky and etc. Maybe they aren't 100% consistent but I've at least enjoyed reading those stories in the moment.

My personal hope is that in the Infinite Frontier that we will focus on just new stories going forward, no more bringing back old continuity or anything, if you want to claim a brave and bold new path of DC comics you got to do, I see some things that show they are learning but for now it may take a bit.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm more optimistic than you there Zero Hunter.
    I'll give out a 5 out of 10 for now.

BUT!!

There is a perceivable shift from DC that I'm liking.
    The return of Wally as Flash.
    Booster and Beetle mini series.
    Dick back as Nightwing.
    Milestone FINALLY returning.
    Captain Marvel - sorry, Shazam is getting a book again.
    The JSA are back.
    DC are dipping into horror comics again, there's anthologies again.
    I'm actually MORE interested in DC than I've been in well over a decade.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I'll say I'm about at a 6.5/10, which is up from the usual 4 or 5 of the last couple years. Infinite Frontier looks to be moving in the type of direction I like, but there are still some kinks I'd like to see worked out; namely less ongoings, fewer Batman titles (I'm fine with more Batfamily if it's in an appropriate title), developing a wider variety of characters, and more lasting consequences. if DC can pump out more limited series focusing on underutilized characters and sticks to their guns in regards to any major changes, I can see it moving up to a solid 7 or 8 by year's end. which would put it higher on my media tier list.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

8/10 for me. I just think folks like to be overly critical when it comes to DC these days. Anything they do is not up to their standards at all. With that mentality, I'm not surprised no one on here enjoys anything by DC. You aren't giving yourself any room to do so.

Wally is back that is about the only positive. Oh and Stargirl is getting a one shot.

My biggest beef is with there being no JSA. I am sick of the teases, bring them back!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

About a 4. Only reason it's not a 3 is because I feel they are at least making an effort to reach out to fans who have become disillusioned with things like Superman 78 and Red and Blue. And they WW anthology. Superman & Lois is the best of the Arrow-verse shows right now (at least until Stargirl comes back anyway). And even though I'm not a fan of the JLU cartoon, it's obviously a popular universe and DC is at least making an effort to listen to fans and give them the versions they say they want. The out of continuity stuff is good. It's their main books that are the problem. DC has 20 years of history to clean up and it's not going to happen overnight. That having been said, they're still way too Batman centric. Two video games where Superman is a villain? Seriously? And not one where he's a hero? Every obscure version of Batman gets an action figure but we still can't get a decent Superman figure? Wonder Woman had a movie out and you still couldn't find her figures anywhere? I've lost count of how many Black Label books Harley Quinn or Joker has got. Suicide Squad and BOP are getting sequels but MOS still isn't? Meanwhile Batman's getting yet another reboot? DC still has a long way to go to make up for letting the universe revolve around Batman.
    Assassinate Putin!

2/10. It would have been 0 as of last week as I'd basically stopped reading DC books (not a deliberate choice, just a slow reduction of my reading list until I realised there were no DC books there anymore) but the announcement of Blue and Gold and Justice League Unlimited knocks it up a couple of points.

Incredible Member

No idea. Not for lack of interest necessarily but more so a lack of funds. And comic book pricing is a whole other conversation.
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Astonishing Member

Worse...been this way for a while.

Incredible Member

4 out 10.

At best.

And it's not because I'm not willing to try new titles.

If not for the promise that the John Stewart title holds my wallet would be permanently closed to DC. The Green Lantern John Stewart title has been the only reason I've paid some attention to DC (with an honorable mention to John Ridley and The Other History of the DC Universe).
    Last edited by Customizer; 04-24-2021 at 07:39 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    8/10 for me. I just think folks like to be overly critical when it comes to DC these days. Anything they do is not up to their standards at all. With that mentality, I'm not surprised no one on here enjoys anything by DC. You aren't giving yourself any room to do so.
    I was gonna disagree that people are being overly critical...but then more "rankings" came in.

(bad take incoming)

i'm fundamentally not all that crazy about comics in general but anyone rating DC below a 4 is capping out they ass bro; I'm not gonna lie.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I was gonna disagree that people are being overly critical...but then more "rankings" came in.

(bad take incoming)

i'm fundamentally not all that crazy about comics in general but anyone rating DC below a 4 is capping out they ass bro; I'm not gonna lie.
    I feel like fans feel some sort of superiority when they don't like comics sometimes lol. Personally I don't believe the folks that are rating them below a 4. You mean to tell me out of all of the books they put out/and have coming out, not one of these titles interest you? At that point, that's not even a DC problem but a personal problem.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I feel like fans feel some sort of superiority when they don't like comics sometimes lol. Personally I don't believe the folks that are rating them below a 4. You mean to tell me out of all of the books they put out/and have coming out, not one of these titles interest you? At that point, that's not even a DC problem but a personal problem.
    agreed, there is no way you are looking at all of the content DC's put out and say it's a less than a 4 unless you are looking at it through some very specific, very personal, biases. Like, even if I don't like the stories, I can at least appreciate the quality of their books and writers (on average) enough to give them a 4. I think the problem is that a lot of fans don't or can't separate a story that doesn't resonate with them from a bad story. everything is the literal worst thing ever if it doesn't line up with exactly what they want DC to do, with exactly who they want them to do it with.

currently following: