Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Black Label's seemed to become pretty hectic after all the controversy of Azzarello's first book.
    He wrote the Batdick story? Apparently…

It's not like setting up a new imprint should that complicated for a publisher like DC. Ink and Zoom just, well, zooms along, even with the rebranding to DC Young. And even if one project runs into Drama, that shouldn't really impact the rest of the line.

I'm not sure if there is a list of delayed or cancelled Black Label projects somewhere, but it feels like it's longer than the list of stuff they have published…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Black Label's seemed to become pretty hectic after all the controversy of Azzarello's first book.
    It switched from being an imprint to being just an age rating. It just means Mature Readers now and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    It switched from being an imprint to being just an age rating. It just means Mature Readers now and nothing else.
    That makes sense.

I got Lois Lane and the Friendship Challenge in the mail this morning. It was pretty good. More grounded and less DC-superhero-y than the YA novels from Gwenda Bond, but definitely fun and quick. I laughed multiple times and never got bored, and the art was cute. Definitely not a book I would recommend if you're looking for a more traditional DC story, but for a light-hearted youthful story aimed at kids? Definitely a fun read that had my smiling almost throughout, and chuckling plenty. I liked this Lois Lane.

And the art was cute and awesome throughout.

Swear to god I thought the news was that there'd be no more Black Label books coming, that the line was through - and yet here is something, Batman: Reptilian.

Astonishing Member

Ennis isn't a much better choice than Azzarello. They are just looking for management to dissolve the line at this point. They should just stay from properties like Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman, it invites way too much scrutiny from the media.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-13-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I think if Black Label done right (as an imprint for high quality Graphic Novels and Minis) should actually something that will do very well, and that seems to be the direction DC is going with it.

I think of the three imprints the YA one is very likely the one where they should need to make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think if Black Label done right (as an imprint for high quality Graphic Novels and Minis) should actually something that will do very well, and that seems to be the direction DC is going with it.

I think of the three imprints the YA one is very likely the one where they should need to make changes.
    BL has a lot of potential since writers don't have to worry about continuity and they aren't forced to pump out issues month by month IMO

What changes would you propose for the YA label?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

My main problem with Black Label is that now that the Sandman Universe seems to be finished, aside for the current Dreaming series (no idea how much longer that's supposed to go on for but I'm only reading in trade these days), 90% of the imprint is Batman related. Mind you, I don't think R-rated stories suit the likes of Superman and the Flash but it's the perfect home for DC's more esoteric properties. Hellblazer and Sandman, obviously, (please DC, find something for Si Spurrier to do on these sorts of books ASAP!) but also Swamp Thing, Animal Man, all the magic characters, even a body horror with Metamorpho could work.

I do find the more prudish nature behind these 17+ books weird as hell. If you're going to be for "mature readers" be for "mature readers". Extreme violence seems to be AOK but sex and nudity are shied away from and it seems like some of the books still have censored swearing - though the Sandman spinoffs seemed to get away with it more than the Bat-related titles or Adam Strange. I am behind, though, so maybe this has changed? Either way, I do think that these imprints that concentrate on standalone, evergreen graphic novels and miniseries that can be sold in perpetuity in book stores as well as comic stores are crucial to the health of DC and the industry in general. And yeah, aiming for different age groups is incredibly important too.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I rather see Ennis tackle the Question or Green Arrow. He's unafraid of controversy or taking a stand politically so we'd get some daring work from him.

Astonishing Member

Actually two of my favorite two books put out by DC are Black Label, the Last God and American Vampire. The Last God was DC putting actual capitol into producing a high quality fantasy book, very good writer, very good artist. It got me invested immediately in characters and a story I had never been exposed to before. As for American Vampire, it is how i discovered Snyder and for me it is his best work...period, like it more than his Batman stuff and way more than his Justice League. AV 1973 seems to be him wrapping up one of my favorite yarns in quite some time. Of my two other favorite DC books one is a YA, Far Sector and the other is a limited series, The Green Lantern by Morrison. Count me in for more Last God, American Vampire and Far Sector.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    What changes would you propose for the YA label?
    Keeping the characters more in line with mainline comics and more focus on superhero stuff (or do original YA stuff).

I think some of these books just go to far from the source material.

I think if you want to get new readers interested in these characters, they should be able to pick up the mainline comics and find something that is at least similar.

Keeping the characters more in line with mainline comics and more focus on superhero stuff (or do original YA stuff).

I think if you want to get new readers interested in these characters, they should be able to pick up the mainline comics and find something that is at least similar.
    Honestly, most of the books do what you said. Some, mostly a few, go very far from the source material, but as long as it is only a few I don't think that's a bad thing. For every Gotham High book or whatever you get Superman Smashes the Klan, Batman Overdrive, Under the Moonlight A Catwoman Tale, Batman Nightwalker (those last three working as quite workable origin stories for Elseworlds really). The too far out there ones are just the rare few that some of us fans put too much focus on.

Which ones go to far for you?