Default Elseworld-ish idea...

Just an idea I had in another thread. Would you be interested in a continuity (Elseworld, Black Label, Ink, Zoom, something else entirely but you get the idea) where Donna comes with Diana to Man's World during the otherwise traditional Wonder Woman story, where we get two Wonder Women at the same time from the very start of this new story? I know it's unlikely because of whatever fangled up stranglehold the Teen Titans or whatever department has on Wonder Girl or something (I asked about it in the Donna Troy thread, it was blegh), but I think it could be an interesting alternate continuity tale.

I think that can work well as a standalone origin story, the main issue isn't the setup or the premise but because it's yet another standalone origin story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Just an idea I had in another thread. Would you be interested in a continuity (Elseworld, Black Label, Ink, Zoom, something else entirely but you get the idea) where Donna comes with Diana to Man's World during the otherwise traditional Wonder Woman story, where we get two Wonder Women at the same time from the very start of this new story? I know it's unlikely because of whatever fangled up stranglehold the Teen Titans or whatever department has on Wonder Girl or something (I asked about it in the Donna Troy thread, it was blegh), but I think it could be an interesting alternate continuity tale.
    I don't like it because it elevates Donna to Diana's level and diminishes the real Wonder Woman.

Would Donna be the same age as Diana? Is she Diana's twin? What sets her apart perspective wise from Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't like it because it elevates Donna to Diana's level and diminishes the real Wonder Woman.
    Depends on the setup. If Donna is (a) younger than Diana and (b) a normal human being but the recipient of Amazon training, then it'd be much more like the early Batman and Robin dynamic.

Now that I think of it, I think such a story would probably work best with a focus on Donna, as she tries to adjust to stuff like high school and find clues about any of her remaining family or relatives. It could work really well as a prequel to or origin story for the Donna in the Titans TV series.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think that can work well as a standalone origin story, the main issue isn't the setup or the premise but because it's yet another standalone origin story.
    Well, I guess I'n kind of weird in the fandom in that I like standalone origin stories. Honestly most of my favorite DC stories are the standalone origins.
    Kind of the fun of an Elseworld though ain't it, characters who don't usually get to be equals in main continuity can be (and I don't think another woman being her equal would diminish Wonder Woman any more than I think Superman having an equal would diminish him. I think Wondie would gladly welcome another strong woman.)
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Would Donna be the same age as Diana? Is she Diana's twin? What sets her apart perspective wise from Diana?
    I was thinking you could have her be the younger sister and really play with the older/younger sibling dynamics. In my head it was more of a family oriented, sisters being sisters sort of uplifting story. Haven't thought up a plot yet, just thought it would be fun seeing Wondie in a more sibling dynamic sort of story. Kind of like Ben and Gwen maybe in Ben 10 (okay, cousins and one's a boy, but you get the kind of energy and relationship I'm thinking of).

Well, I guess I'n kind of weird in the fandom in that I like standalone origin stories. Honestly most of my favorite DC stories are the standalone origins.
    Oh, I can like them as well. My comment was rather on the market saturation aspect.

I think superhero comics writers and editors would do well to try to build up other classic stories. That's part of the shared mythology: everyone can give their own slant on the heroes and their classic stories. And retelling the stories is a huge part of making them into classics.

Kind of the fun of an Elseworld though ain't it, characters who don't usually get to be equals in main continuity can be (and I don't think another woman being her equal would diminish Wonder Woman any more than I think Superman having an equal would diminish him. I think Wondie would gladly welcome another strong woman.)

I was thinking you could have her be the younger sister and really play with the older/younger sibling dynamics. In my head it was more of a family oriented, sisters being sisters sort of uplifting story. Haven't thought up a plot yet, just thought it would be fun seeing Wondie in a more sibling dynamic sort of story. Kind of like Ben and Gwen maybe in Ben 10 (okay, cousins and one's a boy, but you get the kind of energy and relationship I'm thinking of).
    I started reading Superman with Byrne, where all other Kryptonians were erased so he would be the only one. Once firmly established then auxiliary allies were added. The same is true for Batman and it should be the same with Diana. There's a star on a door with her name on it.

Going with your proposal would rather Wonder Woman arrived as Themysciran Ambassador to Man's World with Steve Trevor and a contingent of Amazons, who all have to adjust. Maybe five Mala, Io, Sofia, Euboea and Nubia. Donna could be one of them or better yet she's rescued as a tween and joins their ranks. Artemis is the leader of the previously unknown lost tribe of Bana-Mighdall. Sofia goes rogue and forms a terrorist organization. Villainy Inc. exists, as does Godwatch and WW's mythological rogues. That sounds like a series to me.

I started reading Superman with Byrne, where all other Kryptonians were erased so he would be the only one. Once firmly established then auxiliary allies were added. The same is true for Batman and it should be the same with Diana. There's a star on a door with her name on it.
    Yeah, but this is an elseworlds idea. What happened with Batman or Superman isn't important because the idea is kind of to do something different.

Going with your proposal would rather Wonder Woman arrived as Themysciran Ambassador to Man's World with Steve Trevor and a contingent of Amazons, who all have to adjust. Maybe five Mala, Io, Sofia, Euboea and Nubia. Donna could be one of them or better yet she's rescued as a tween and joins their ranks. Artemis is the leader of the previously unknown lost tribe of Bana-Mighdall. Sofia goes rogue and forms a terrorist organization. Villainy Inc. exists, as does Godwatch and WW's mythological rogues. That sounds like a series to me.
    Wonder Woman arriving to Man's World for the first time with a full contingent of Amazons would be an interesting story. And kind of makes more sense to because no culture ever sends one person out entirely alone on peace missions. They always have teams, advisers, assistants, partners, just people. Would really open up some interesting ideas.

Well, in the Linda Carter WW series WW had a sidekick who WASN'T a teenager. Drusilla wasn't quite equal, but powerful enough to be called Wonder Girl. So... it's been done.