Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Genetic Enhancement vs Telekinesis

The Plot Gods give you a choice from among two empowerments:

a) You become genetically enhanced on the order of Julian Bashir from DS9. Your I.Q. increases five points a day for two weeks (seventy points), and you get widespread improvements in hand-eye coordination, reflexes, vision and stamina.

b) You gain Carrie-level telekinesis (Stephen King universe).

Genetic enhancement, easily. I could get rich really easily with a 210 I.Q. And the physical improvements would probably extend my lifespan, or at the very least my quality of life.

I cud gets a IQ of 94?! Thass amazible!

Yeah, telekinesis really seems more like a quality of life improvement, while increasing IQ could actually enable the pursuit of more meaningful long term goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    You have an IQ of 24?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I gits uh IQ uv 55. Huurey!
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

IQ isn't actually a very good or accurate measure of intelligence.

How smart did the character become?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

I mean, you're already intelligent. But if you also suddenly start performing way better on IQ tests, you've definitely become better at solving certain types of problems, if nothing else.

In isolation, the word "intelligence" is too vague and doesn't mean a whole lot.

70 points of IQ isn't going to turn you into a comic book super scientist like Reed Richards though.

Astonishing Member

Personally I'd take telekinesis, since that's pretty much my dream-superpower.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

Yeah this. So ignoring the IQ thing, well Bashir seems to be really really effortlessly good at math, but that's about it, really. Rather, he's good at other stuff too, but we're more aware that he's practiced all those things a lot. Math is the only thing he seems to just automatically be good at.

How strong is Carrie's telekinesis?
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Just reading the wiki article on Carrie, she seems pretty strong. I think I'd take that, rather than some nebulous ability to score well on IQ tests.

Pretty good range and able to cause heart failure, so I can be a one-man revolution. Not quite enough to take over the world and institute my own rules, but enough to competently take a lot of things OUT of the world.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 06-05-2019 at 08:01 PM.

One makes you a unique human; the other makes you a real life superhero.

Notably, IF Bashir's genetic tampering actually made him considerably smarter (and TBH, I feel DS9 does not adequately establish that it did), then his brain must be structurally pretty different from an ordinary human's. Variances in allele frequencies that you'd see between any two humans won't really account for anything.

Incredible Member

TK would be fun the the GE is more practical and probably more useful in real life.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Notably, IF Bashir's genetic tampering actually made him considerably smarter (and TBH, I feel DS9 does not adequately establish that it did), then his brain must be structurally pretty different from an ordinary human's. Variances in allele frequencies that you'd see between any two humans won't really account for anything.
    IIRC, the episode where his Genetic Engineering is revealed explains that he was notably below normal intelligence (possibly from a congenital condition, I guess) until the procedure, after which he was able to become an extremely capable and relatively suave space doctor.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

TK.

*limit dance*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate