Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

I think if this was suppose to be primarily a supernatural team i would have went with someone else other than Spider-Woman. My choice would have been Sepulchre but any of this would do just as good, Elsa Bloodstone, Jennifer Kale, Kusala/Demon Rider, Magik, Nocturne, Satana, Scarlet Witch, Shiklah, Talisman, Topaz, Vampire by Night, Witchfire ect.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

This book has an angel and a demon. A super science type and a super sorcery type. It has what I call fulcrum types, or characters who are the centerpoint between two worlds. Some may think that Spider-Woman is the odd person out, but to me that feels more like Winter Soldier. But we'll have to wait and see how the characters are used and their interaction with one another. I also don't rule out that if this is indeed an ongoing title, the membership will change. I personally would love to see a certain former Goblin Queen turn up in this book. Or a revamped Gargoyle. Not Isaac Christians, but someone else who is bound to the Gargoyle shell. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's see what the chefs are cooking with the ingredients that they have.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

This doesn't look too bad.
    At least, they avoid a lot of the usual suspects (Wolverine, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Deadpool...) for this kind of setting.
    Let's hope the bloody premise doesn't mean bad news for the involved character's families and lovers.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    did you read any of her adventures in Los Angeles? i'd say that half of her rogues gallery fall into the supernatural villain category. the series ended with a magic battle. she grew up around Wundagore Mountain.
    Exactly this. Jessica is a character that you can put into any part of the Marvel Universe and she fits in pretty well. Supernatural, spy, hell - you should see the stuff in the road trip issues from Dennis' Hopeless run. Lots of supernatural stuff was implied there.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I think if this was suppose to be primarily a supernatural team i would have went with someone else other than Spider-Woman. My choice would have been Sepulchre but any of this would do just as good, Elsa Bloodstone, Jennifer Kale, Kusala/Demon Rider, Magik, Nocturne, Satana, Scarlet Witch, Shiklah, Talisman, Topaz, Vampire by Night, Witchfire ect.
    Much of the original Spider-Woman series was dark and involved the supernatural. It was almost a horror comic!
    9C728A2B-945E-43DE-81A7-5B880ED21831.jpg
    06CC9F5B-125A-437A-8177-4BAE16F485E9.jpg

Glad to see her returning to that!
    Last edited by danielsan52; 06-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.

This is a weird team. I don't see Wiccan being ok with killing, but that's probably a plot point
    If it's a supernatural team, Winter Soldier and Monica are really out of place and Midnight Sons would be a much cooler name.
    If it's just an Avengers version of X-force, I don't see how it's any different from Savage Avengers. Maybe that book is ending already?

I wish Marvel gave us more details, this announcement feels very incomplete.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Hmm. German Peralta's work in Age of X-Man Prisoner X has been great, and the snippets of Tini Howark's I've read seem good.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Blade, Spectrum, Wiccan, Angela, Hellstrom, Winter Soldier. I'm not terribly invested in Blade or Angela but putting Monica, Billy, Daimon & Bucky together in a book is more than enough to garner my interest. Very interested in seeing who else is on this new Ewing project.

As to who will complete the roster (possibly another expansive one) Elsa Bloodstone, Hercules, Scarlet Witch, Valkyrie (Jane Foster), Harpy (Betty Ross), Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) & Lightning are my hopes.

I wonder if this crew will be taking on either the Mephisto or Dracula threat established in the flagship Avengers book. Nonetheless, I'm very interested.
    Well it wasn't a Ewing book. So we got that wrong. Nor is it a No Surrender/No Road Home follow-up. Still five characters I care about all in one book which is more than I can say for a lot of team titles.

My wish was granted for some Jessica Drew!! I'm happy in that regard. Back to the old costume too. Some say regression, but I prefer it over the newer look myself. I would have taken this as a compromise though
    Spider-Woman.jpg

I'm still not sold on Blade or Angela, neither of which have had particularly riveting stories in my opinion. Elsa Bloodstone, Scarlet Witch, Harpy and Valkyrie all still seem like better options to me (or at least more inspired/interesting selections). Tini Howard did say this was a handpicked roster though; it certainly helps when the writer is passionate about the characters involved. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm surprised it's not Avengers: Strike Force. Just to give it a bit of a bump. Still, sounds cool enough.
    I mean, yeah, that title is taken by a mobile game. Not that it's not a particularly great one anyways. I'm surprised it wasn't just dubbed New/Mighty/Dark/other-synonym Avengers in order to draw in readers.

Could be anything at this time Force Works, Renegades, Revengers, Defenders etc.
    Revengers or Defenders would have been more recognizable at least. Midnight Defenders or something of that caliber would have been a great label for the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I'm curious to know what sets this team apart from Savage Avengers, 'cause the concept seems very similar so far. My guess is that we will see the occult involved, which would explain some of the mystical members and why it was said they would face ''the dark underside of the Marvel Universe'' in the video. Not to mention that pentagram on the cover, which could just be a reference to Hellstorm, but it feels like it might be connected to the overall theme of the book. Even if it's not called Midnight Sons, that's still the vibe I'm getting from this book.
    It is strange that they seem to be doubling down on the same concept. I mean, unless if one of the two titles are set to run 12 issues only or something, I'm not sure how long they can both co-exist. And Savage Avengers has the advantage of A-List characters and the Avengers labeling.

I'd love to see them take on Umar or Morgan le Fay. The magic/supernatural corner of the MU feels relatively untapped right now, with even the Sorcerer Supreme having limited access to his magics these past few years.

Another thing worth mentioning is whether we get any guest-stars/supporting characters in the book. Blue Marvel, Hulkling, Porcupine, Gerry Drew, Satana- plenty of close romantic and familial connections to the team members that hopefully get addressed

blade has to win fights. This is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    blade has to win fights. This is paramount.
    Whatever he's facing, he won't be doing it alone. But I hear you.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    If it's a supernatural team, Winter Soldier and Monica are really out of place...
    Hmmmm...maybe. Maybe not. We can always spin it:

Think of Winter Soldier as Ash from the Evil Dead movies and TV show. Only instead of a chainsaw for an appendage, Bucky uses a grenade launcher.

As for Monica, she's the easiest. How's the biblical line go? Oh yeah, "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light!" Magic calls it "divine light", "aura" or "ghost fire", but science calls it the electromagnetic spectrum.

Historically, they may not have extensive interaction with the supernatural, although Monica has fought Morgan Le Fey, Dracula and vampires, the Elementals (the supernatural beings), and a couple other witches/sorcery types that I'm forgetting. I also think we tend to forget that some of the most powerful cosmic beings are also magic/supernatural based creatures, like Zom, the Living Tribunal, Shuma Gorath, all of the gods like Nyx, etc., etc. Just point Monica in the right direction. Plot immersion won't be her problem.

~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    So is this a supernatural focused team?

I get Blade & Hellstrom working together .... and I guess I get Wiccan if he can do magic although I’m more use to X-men being focused in their own stories.

I’m never going to get use to Angela being a Marvel character it’s just weird in every level.

Spider-Woman gets her old costume back. I can see her working with Bucky but not the Supernatural heroes unless this was a one time event or end of the world scenario
    Wiccan is not part of X-Men though.

The only thing that could make Strikeforce more exciting would have been if Becky Cloonan had been the artist.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Jessica's origin links her to the High Evolutionary, Wundagore Mountain (Chthon's one-time prison), Morgan Le Fey, Magnus the Sorcerer, Modred the Mystic and the Darkhold. It doesn't get more science+supernatural fantasy than that. Plus, she's one hell of a detective. Can't have a strike force team roll out half-cocked. Someone needs to know how to run down shady blokes who don't want to be found, or their dark deeds brought to light.
    Wait what? Wasn't she originally a spider who became a human then they retconned that to the Hydra origin? I remember she fought a mummy in that 70s cartoon. Anyway I'm not familiar with those characters in relaiton to Spider-Woman. I like her depending on the incarnation (Bendis vs Post Bendis). anyway all the stories I've followed with her didn't paint her as a supernatural character.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    did you read any of her adventures in Los Angeles? i'd say that half of her rogues gallery fall into the supernatural villain category. the series ended with a magic battle. she grew up around Wundagore Mountain.
    nope.

What happened to the Elsa Bloodestone push? She was everywhere and than gone. Oh wow you pulled out Vampire by Night. Now there is a throwback

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Wiccan is not part of X-Men though.
    he should be
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    This doesn't look too bad.
    At least, they avoid a lot of the usual suspects (Wolverine, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Deadpool...) for this kind of setting.
    Let's hope the bloody premise doesn't mean bad news for the involved character's families and lovers.
    I do. Kill Roger or whatever his name is so I can get my DanversDrew content.
    Last edited by Tycon; 06-11-2019 at 09:55 PM. Reason: oop just looked it up and gerry is her kid’s name i meant kill the unnecessary manfriend

I like that the team is all over the map in terms of membership...I'm kinda over new teams where all of the characters have a defining trait that unites them. Here you've got horror, cosmic, espionage, and traditional superheroes represented. Reminds me a bit of the original Champions line-up in a way, another favorite of mine.

Not the biggest Wiccan or Angela fan but those are hardly deal breakers for me. Rest of the members are folks I kinda dig (Winter Soldier, Spider-Woman) to some of my favorite characters (Spectrum, Blade, Hellstrom). Definitely down to check this out.