Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

In this issue Spectrum is referred to as an engineer. I thought it was a bit weird last issue when Monica talked about how she "drives machines", but I thought maybe it was just an odd way of saying that she is more science oriented than magic oriented (especially since she is now romantically involved with a super-scientist). But now she is specifically referred to as an engineer.

Did I miss something? Monica's background is as a police officer and as a the captain of her own charter boating business. I don't think we've ever heard of her having any background in engineering before.

Tini Howard has been showing such a good grasp of the characters so far, it seems weird that she would make such a large and blatant mistake about a character's background and training.

I thought Daimon wasn't being literal in his applying the title of Engineer, so much as making commentary about their respective capabilities and/or energy sources, but then again I could be off. I thought it was just word play. Like, "Hey Monica, you're all Logic Science and I'm all Spoooooky Magic, so lets just agree to disagree"

STRIKEFORCE #6
    TINI HOWARD (W) • JACOPO CAMAGNI (A) • Cover by JUAN JOSE RYP
    MOONSTRUCK MONSTROSITY!
    Ghost’s secretive ally is revealed — Moonstone, a.k.a. the psychotic psych Karla Sofen! But what does a manipulator of minds want with a hospital full of the dead and dying — and can this divisive team keep off the edge of death themselves?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Oh man. Jess has taken on Ghost before ...but I am really looking forward to her against Moonstone (if the cover is accurate..which it might not be?)
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I thought Daimon wasn't being literal in his applying the title of Engineer, so much as making commentary about their respective capabilities and/or energy sources, but then again I could be off. I thought it was just word play. Like, "Hey Monica, you're all Logic Science and I'm all Spoooooky Magic, so lets just agree to disagree"
    That's what I thought in issue #2 with her talk about testing and driving machines, etc, but this is now two issues in a row and her being specifically referred to as an engineer. I don't think that explanation really holds up anymore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Oh man. Jess has taken on Ghost before ...but I am really looking forward to her against Moonstone (if the cover is accurate..which it might not be?)
    I'd expect a Spectrum/Moonstone rematch, given that those two have history. Monica is one of the few superheroes that Karla actually fears - partly because of her raw power; partly because Monica's own intangibility means Karla can't effectively hurt her; and partly because Karla has ended up hospitalized with a broken spine TWICE after run-ins with Monica.

(to be fair, the first one was her own fault since she flew head first into a rock face since she panicked trying to get away from Monica and didn't watch where she was going)

Oooh. Yes. That would be a hell of a fight.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Think Jessica and Monica will want to bring Carol in, only for Blade or Angela to forbid it? After all, Moonstone is one of Carol's enemies, because of her stint as the Dark Ms. Marvel in Dark Reign.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't think they'd want to bring Carol in, but I bet they'd LOVE to give her a good thrashing in revenge.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Think Jessica and Monica will want to bring Carol in, only for Blade or Angela to forbid it? After all, Moonstone is one of Carol's enemies, because of her stint as the Dark Ms. Marvel in Dark Reign.
    Moonstone was one of Monica's enemies first, so I don't think they'd feel any need to bring in Carol on a grudge match basis. Besides, despite Carol posing as "Ms. Marvel" during Dark Reign there really isn't any particular grudge between them -- the two of them didn't even really face off all that much.

Bullseye hasn't become a "Hawkeye villain" just because of Dark Reign, so there's no particular reason Moonstone should be counted as a "Carol Danvers villain" just because she wore Carol's old costume for a few weeks. I think people just tend to go there because Carol doesn't have a lot of other really memorable villains of her own, who didn't get taken away to become X-Men characters (Mystique, Deathbird, Rogue).

Getting back to STRIKEFORCE.... although Moonstone and Ghost are both formidable villains, it does seem like they might be a bit outgunned here. Wiccan and Hellstorm in particular should be a problem for them, since their greatest advantage--intangibility--won't necessarily protect them from magic users. I wonder what trick these two will have up their sleeves to level the playing field.

Hmm....We'll just have to wait and see. I am looking forward to it.

Birgit is definitely an eye for an eye type and a kidnapper. Now that spoilers:
    Angela as has taken the real Count Ophidian
    end of spoilers what are the chances she might go after Gerry in retaliation?

Ultimate Member

Hah, Billy gets snippy with Hellstrom and says, 'Our powers are nothing alike!' at one point, which could be ironic if Billy ever learns that his soul might be 1/5th of Mephisto...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Hah, Billy gets snippy with Hellstrom and says, 'Our powers are nothing alike!' at one point, which could be ironic if Billy ever learns that his soul might be 1/5th of Mephisto...
    I thought he already knew that his soul came from Mephisto? Didn't him and Tommy address that in Young Avengers Presents I'm pretty sure he had nightmares about it or something along the lines.

Though I wouldn't be shocked if Tini addresses it as a legit storyline. I actually think it was somewhat alluded too in Deathsheads when Teddy said that Billy "Isn't from here". Maybe the Mephisto connection is the reason Billy was so snappy with Hellstorm it might even be a reason why theu seem to be arguing in that teased art.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I'd expect a Spectrum/Moonstone rematch, given that those two have history. Monica is one of the few superheroes that Karla actually fears - partly because of her raw power; partly because Monica's own intangibility means Karla can't effectively hurt her; and partly because Karla has ended up hospitalized with a broken spine TWICE after run-ins with Monica.

(to be fair, the first one was her own fault since she flew head first into a rock face since she panicked trying to get away from Monica and didn't watch where she was going)
    Based on what I've read thus far, Monica isn't as powerful as she used to be. She mentioned not having enough juice to blast a separate wave of doppelgangers/changelings/Asgardian dire wraith skrulls or whatever the hell they're calling them in this generation. Running out of juice hasn't been Monica's issue since relatively early in her career when she didn't really know how her powers worked. My guess is that they're scaling her back for the present narrative, so Moonstone might be able to win one this time around.

Monica's nerf happened before this series started, in Avengers No Road Home. Basically burned herself out to make sure Vision could get to where he needed to be to stop a villain.