Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    On the contrary, Monica has forsaken her godlike immortality and has been depowered as to be human again by her choice, or so Ewing wants us to believe. Depending on when this series takes place, Monica will be human and subject to all of the pitfalls that comes with that, including demonic possession, being bitten by vampires or werewolves or some other supernatural creature and turned, etc. You see, when you're Monica and potentially one of the most powerful cosmic characters around, well, this is Marvel and that doesn't last for very long. Especially if you look like Monica. Instead of joining Guardians of the Galaxy, where your top level powers thrive, or getting your own Captain Marvel-like launch, you wind up on a Penny Dreadful team, hunting witches, specters, spooks and such.
    Yikes. She's toast. She already lacks movie synergy.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

On the contrary, Monica has forsaken her godlike immortality and has been depowered as to be human again by her choice, or so Ewing wants us to believe. Depending on when this series takes place, Monica will be human and subject to all of the pitfalls that comes with that, including demonic possession, being bitten by vampires or werewolves or some other supernatural creature and turned, etc. You see, when you're Monica and potentially one of the most powerful cosmic characters around, well, this is Marvel and that doesn't last for very long. Especially if you look like Monica. Instead of joining Guardians of the Galaxy, where your top level powers thrive, or getting your own Captain Marvel-like launch, you wind up on a Penny Dreadful team, hunting witches, specters, spooks and such.
    While I get the frustration coming from Monica fans by the underrated way she's been treated for a while, I think it's too early to assume that being a part of Strikeforce is some kind of demotion for her. For starters, we don't know what kind of threat they're going up against. We don't know if it's just generic ''witches, specters and spooks'' like you say. Judging by what's been revealed about the book so far, I'd say it's very possible they are going up against some very powerful and dangerous villain, so Monica wouldn't be out of the team's league. And second, look at the team. We have an angel/goddess warrior. We have the literal son of Satan. We have a universal reality warper. It's not like they were only looking for the low-tier kind of characters. When you have this many powerful heroes together, odds are the stakes will be high at some point, so it's absolutely possible Monica won't be taken for granted here. We just have to wait and see.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Yikes. She's toast. She already lacks movie synergy.
    Au contraire again, my friend. Monica's character in the movie was actually one of the more well received aspects of the production. Chalk it up to the age old habit of movie creators insisting that they can tell a better story than the source material. It's a medium thing. So MCU might do quite well, even if she is the sidekick of Captain Marvel, because the majority of the movie going public doesn't know the source material and are perfectly fine with the idea of a cute kid/prodigy growing up to be a cool hero. It's a formula that has worked with everything from Hercules to King Arthur. With any luck, MCU Monica will grow up and take over the mantle of Captain Marvel, the name passed on to her by "Aunt Carol" as she dies in her arms. A fitting end.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Chthon wanted Wanda. Hydra gave it Wanda.
    Wanda is a means to an end, he wants Earth for himself, and Hydra being Lawful Evil back then didn't really fit his taste I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    While I get the frustration coming from Monica fans by the underrated way she's been treated for a while, I think it's too early to assume that being a part of Strikeforce is some kind of demotion for her. For starters, we don't know what kind of threat they're going up against. We don't know if it's just generic ''witches, specters and spooks'' like you say. Judging by what's been revealed about the book so far, I'd say it's very possible they are going up against some very powerful and dangerous villain, so Monica wouldn't be out of the team's league. And second, look at the team. We have an angel/goddess warrior. We have the literal son of Satan. We have a universal reality warper. It's not like they were only looking for the low-tier kind of characters. When you have this many powerful heroes together, odds are the stakes will be high at some point, so it's absolutely possible Monica won't be taken for granted here. We just have to wait and see.
    All good points. Frankly, I've been curious to know when Marvel was going to reveal to us how the concept of true evil fits into the current cosmic creation mythos of the MU. Maybe we'll get to see a bit of that here?
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 06-22-2019 at 11:11 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Au contraire again, my friend. Monica's character in the movie was actually one of the more well received aspects of the production. Chalk it up to the age old habit of movie creators insisting that they can tell a better story than the source material. It's a medium thing. So MCU might do quite well, even if she is the sidekick of Captain Marvel, because the majority of the movie going public doesn't know the source material and are perfectly fine with the idea of a cute kid/prodigy growing up to be a cool hero. It's a formula that has worked with everything from Hercules to King Arthur. With any luck, MCU Monica will grow up and take over the mantle of Captain Marvel, the name passed on to her by "Aunt Carol" as she dies in her arms. A fitting end.
    You misunderstand. The yikes was for the comic book version. I liked the movie version. But her existence doesn't aid the comics version.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Wanda is a means to an end, he wants Earth for himself, and Hydra being Lawful Evil back then didn't really fit his taste I think.
    He's a patient entity. And they were taking out the competition (ex. Doc Strange). Again, it was all due to an alliance with Madame Hydra; not Stevil. We would have to know her ultimate goal to understand why Chthon was onboard. Could be that Hydra was using the Darkholde as leverage.

You misunderstand. The yikes was for the comic book version. I liked the movie version. But her existence doesn't aid the comics version.
    Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

~James Baldwin

Does anyone know if Spider Woman has ever been bitten by a vampire? It occurs to me that spiders are also blood suckers (along with their prey's organs, which the spider's digestive enzymes liquefy). Not that I expect this series to be another vampire war story, but just curious to know if Jessica has ever come close to being a true creature of the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

~James Baldwin

That's some killer fan art....who is the artist?

I don't recall Jess ever being a vampire.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I super hope we get to see these characters being recruited. Maybe some of them are flung together by circumstance and maybe some are literally petitioned for membership and if that's the case, I hope we get some solid explanations.

Does anyone know if Spider Woman has ever been bitten by a vampire? It occurs to me that spiders are also blood suckers (along with their prey's organs, which the spider's digestive enzymes liquefy). Not that I expect this series to be another vampire war story, but just curious to know if Jessica has ever come close to being a true creature of the night.
    she's fought a werewolf or two. don't know about vampires. surprised that they haven't vamped someone like Viper, though. Jessica's blood would probably be a bit unappetizing/have a chemical taste to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    That's some killer fan art....who is the artist?

I don't recall Jess ever being a vampire.
    Thanks, it's one of mine. Was trying to think of a slightly modified look that would work for Jessica in the upcoming title. I like the old costume, but it does seem dated. Maybe a fresh coat of paint is all it needs?

~James Baldwin

she's fought a werewolf or two. don't know about vampires. surprised that they haven't vamped someone like Viper, though. Jessica's blood would probably be a bit unappetizing/have a chemical taste to it.
    Yep, I remember that she tussled with Werewolf by Night, but I don't have any recollection of her encountering Dracula or other vampires. I'm sure she must have. But for the fact that so many heroines get bitten, I would have definitely been in favor of seeing her turned...at least briefly. Adding vampiric powers to her spider's bite would be cool. But you're right, her blood might prove lethal to vampires, what with all of that bioelectric venom that she generates.

~James Baldwin

She fought Dracula in her original cartoon series
    The J-man