Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I don't think there's any place for Miracleman in the Marvel Universe.
    And yet, there are some schools of thought that if Sentry hadn't been created almost a decade before Marvel gained the rights to Miracleman, MM would be the Sentry. Personally, I find it amusing that Marvel is faced with the same challenge that DC had once it acquired Shazam/Captain Marvel. Marvel may want to consider bringing back Ultimate Earth, or Counter Earth and have MM reside there. Or have MM's stories occur in another time period. As events arise, they could still have MM travel to mainstream Earth to meet up with the mainstream heroes.

It would be nice if there was this extreme version of Earth where the balance of power was so heavily tilted in evil's favor that you needed the top heavy hitters there to help maintain order. An Earth where most non-superhuman and lesser powered heroes get killed within a week of donning a mask and cape, because the villains are that powerful. Establish Miracleman as one of the prime champions on that planet. And then have Team Ruthless take an extended vacation to that extreme Earth. Maybe have a few others join them there from time to time.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    I wonder who the last member would be.......Madelyn Pryor (it would see her outside the X Orbit, no longer in the shadow of her ex or the original article), Kaine Parker Scarlet Spider, Sentry, Solo, Taskmaster, Black Ant, etc.......
    I think if they're keeping it under wraps for a big reveal, it's likely someone who is either a massive surprise or someone fairly high profile. Building up mystery for say Black Ant (no offense to the character, I'm a fan) probably would end up being anti-climactic.

Someone like a Deadpool or a Wolverine are probably the safe bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Daimon Hellstrom

One of my favorite characters. I’m excited for this.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    One of my favorite characters. I’m excited for this.
    Yeah, Hellstrom was one of my faves too. Glad to see he's firmly a good guy again. Seeing him randomly appear as one of Baron Zemo's henchmen in the Masters of Evl for a bit there was just weird.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, Hellstrom was one of my faves too. Glad to see he's firmly a good guy again. Seeing him randomly appear as one of Baron Zemo's henchmen in the Masters of Evl for a bit there was just weird.
    As I recall, he appeared in an arc of VENOM (the Flash Thompson series) where it was revealed that Daimon had magically created multiple copies of himself (for reasons I can't recall at the moment) and some of them were good and some were evil. That accounted for his all over the map characterization for a few years there.

...is it weird? would Patsy think it was weird? he's destined to be evil as Loki is to be a schemer.

Will Ewing be the one writer who doesn't go over Bunn's work with a goddamn bulldozer and resolves the Hell-Lord Descent plot from Venom?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    ...is it weird? would Patsy think it was weird? he's destined to be evil as Loki is to be a schemer.
    For a guy destined to be evil, he was a super hero like 99% of the time. He was a bad guy for like 2 stories. 3 if count that weird story which revealed he was Dormammu's son, but that was retconned.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Will Ewing be the one writer who doesn't go over Bunn's work with a goddamn bulldozer and resolves the Hell-Lord Descent plot from Venom?
    I would be pleasantly shocked if that plot thread ever got picked up again.

For a guy destined to be evil, he was a super hero like 99% of the time. He was a bad guy for like 2 stories. 3 if count that weird story which revealed he was Dormammu's son, but that was retconned.
    eh. dude has a pentagram on his chest. he rules one of the Hell dimensions. being a bad guy is sort of in the DNA. he's going to live a long time. so that 99% that you referenced is basically his rebellious phase. this isn't a son of Fu Manchu situation. we're talking about a demon. he's certainly capable of good acts. but is that in his nature?

disclaimer: I'm not talking about his worth as a character. I have no issue with him being used as a protagonist. i'm disputing the claim that his heel turns are weird. I see it as being the natural evolution of the character after he took over a hell dimension. that only works if he's got some darkness in him.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-10-2019 at 08:59 AM.

eh. dude has a pentagram on his chest. he rules one of the Hell dimensions. being a bad guy is sort of in the DNA. he's going to live a long time. so that 99% that you referenced is basically his rebellious phase. this isn't a son of Fu Manchu situation. we're talking about a demon. he's certainly capable of good acts. but is that in his nature?
    I suppose therein lies the Pathos of the character. How long can he fight his nature?

disclaimer: I'm not talking about his worth as a character. I have no issue with him being used as a protagonist. i'm disputing the claim that his heel turns are weird. I see it as being the natural evolution of the character after he took over a hell dimension. that only works if he's got some darkness in him.
    Even if you buy the notion that he is destined to be evil (which I don't... again, he's been a hero the vast majority of his publication history), why exactly does a hell lord decide to become a henchmen for Baron Zemo? Don't evil hell lords have better things to do?

But that aside, it's similar to Illyana from the New Mutants. Hell Lords can be good guys too. Sure the darkness is there, and occasionally they sucumb to it... but for them it's more the exception than the rule.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I suppose therein lies the Pathos of the character. How long can he fight his nature?
    That's pretty much the same struggle that all dark characters have. It's practically a cliché at Marvel.

I tend agree with Michael here: Hellstrom's dark destiny isn't just one of nature, but of commission. Anyone infused with that much darkness should behave more like an abstract being: you have no choice. And to operate counter to the very thing that comprises every iota of one's being should be tantamount to suicide. Any decision to support the good in the short-term should be done with an eye to gaining a greater long-term evil. That is how a Hell Lord would operate. The balance of light and dark has to be maintained by characters who absolutely relish their place in the cosmic order. Daimon should be at the front of that line, enjoying every minute of it. Call him a saint or a hero at your peril.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Even if you buy the notion that he is destined to be evil (which I don't... again, he's been a hero the vast majority of his publication history), why exactly does a hell lord decide to become a henchmen for Baron Zemo? Don't evil hell lords have better things to do? .
    he wasn't a henchman. they had an informal alliance (i think they met in Fear Itself). Hellstrom resides on Bagallia. he hangs out at that villain club; same as Satannish. neither of them work for Zemo. Hellstrom might have had some interest in that Cullen Bloodstone kid and the general corruption of youth, though.

But that aside, it's similar to Illyana from the New Mutants. Hell Lords can be good guys too. Sure the darkness is there, and occasionally they sucumb to it... but for them it's more the exception than the rule.
    i guess what i'm getting at is that heel turns are expected from people touched with dark magic. no one thinks it is weird when Illyana sprouts horns and hooves. and she's not the child of Satan.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-10-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    MANTICORE is the name of the battle vehicle that Rhodey is currently using, since he does not want to suit up in armour anymore at the moment.
    I have not followed Rhodey in a minute.

Thanks!