Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Monica's nerf happened before this series started, in Avengers No Road Home. Basically burned herself out to make sure Vision could get to where he needed to be to stop a villain.
    Yep, I know. But it seems like she's even weaker than I expected. Las Vegas isn't that big of a city. At the speed of light she could reconnaissance the entire place in a second. Instead, she chose to become one with the electrical grid in order to surveille everything. That she didn't also draw power from the same grid is somewhat disturbing. But this isn't a cosmic story, so I guess I'll just go with it. At least for one more issue.

Maybe she was just being thorough? I dunno, guess we'll have to wait and see next issue.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yep, I know. But it seems like she's even weaker than I expected. Las Vegas isn't that big of a city. At the speed of light she could reconnaissance the entire place in a second. Instead, she chose to become one with the electrical grid in order to surveille everything. That she didn't also draw power from the same grid is somewhat disturbing. But this isn't a cosmic story, so I guess I'll just go with it. At least for one more issue.
    I don't have a problem with her being *fast* physically, but not having the mental speed to keep up with that speed, or process information at that speed. At the speed of light, she should be able to fly all the way around the planet *eight times in a second.* But I don't feel like she'd be able to *see* anything detailed (or search an area) at that speed, since she's just going way too fast. She'd have to fly, stop, look around, fly again, etc. She *does* seem to process information faster than a normal person, which totally makes sense, since her brain has been replaced with pure light (or whatever) when she transforms into energy, and she would 'think' way faster than my neurons and synapses can squirt their little neurotransmitters from cell to cell, but I don't really think of her as the Flash, mentally.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I don't have a problem with her being *fast* physically, but not having the mental speed to keep up with that speed, or process information at that speed. At the speed of light, she should be able to fly all the way around the planet *eight times in a second.* But I don't feel like she'd be able to *see* anything detailed (or search an area) at that speed, since she's just going way too fast. She'd have to fly, stop, look around, fly again, etc. She *does* seem to process information faster than a normal person, which totally makes sense, since her brain has been replaced with pure light (or whatever) when she transforms into energy, and she would 'think' way faster than my neurons and synapses can squirt their little neurotransmitters from cell to cell, but I don't really think of her as the Flash, mentally.
    That has in fact been referenced on-panel as one of her limitations to explain why she doesn't often use her full speed potential--things become too much of a blur for her. That was referenced back in an Annual during Roger Stern's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    That has in fact been referenced on-panel as one of her limitations to explain why she doesn't often use her full speed potential--things become too much of a blur for her. That was referenced back in an Annual during Roger Stern's run.
    Actually, Monica has a version of Cosmic Awareness which assists her perceptions at light speeds. Ewing established that back in the Ultimates series, which is much more recent than Stern's run. While she may not be able to necessarily formulate a strategy like Black Panther in the blink of an eye, she has no problems perceiving her environment, or communicating with others. And yes, for the scientists out there, this means that Monica does think at faster than light speed when moving in electromagnetic energy form by virtue of the Cosmic Awareness.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Actually, Monica has a version of Cosmic Awareness which assists her perceptions at light speeds. Ewing established that back in the Ultimates series, which is much more recent than Stern's run. While she may not be able to necessarily formulate a strategy like Black Panther in the blink of an eye, she has no problems perceiving her environment, or communicating with others. And yes, for the scientists out there, this means that Monica does think at faster than light speed when moving in electromagnetic energy form by virtue of the Cosmic Awareness.
    The question is whether or not she still has that ability, or whether it was one of the things she sacrificed along with her potential immortality when she gave up a chunk of her power and went back to something more like her original power set. Ewing took her on a large character arc of exploring these expanded powers and discovering that she was losing her humanity in the process and choosing to give up some of that extra power (of course, even her original "weaker" power set still leaves her as one of the most powerful superheroes on Earth).

We don't know for certain how much of her new abilities under Ewing's run are still in effect. Certain tricks she learned in the application of her powers she'd still be able to do, since she hasn't lost any knowledge. But stuff that was tied to her being an entity of living energy rather than a flesh and blood person may no longer hold true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The question is whether or not she still has that ability, or whether it was one of the things she sacrificed along with her potential immortality when she gave up a chunk of her power and went back to something more like her original power set. Ewing took her on a large character arc of exploring these expanded powers and discovering that she was losing her humanity in the process and choosing to give up some of that extra power (of course, even her original "weaker" power set still leaves her as one of the most powerful superheroes on Earth).

We don't know for certain how much of her new abilities under Ewing's run are still in effect. Certain tricks she learned in the application of her powers she'd still be able to do, since she hasn't lost any knowledge. But stuff that was tied to her being an entity of living energy rather than a flesh and blood person may no longer hold true.
    The point that I'm making here is that limited Cosmic Awareness was not a "new" ability, but rather a more accurate explanation of her existing abilities. She had it all along, it's just that writers pre-Ewing didn't know or care to define it as such. Limited cosmic awareness is to Monica what the Speed Force is to the Flash. It helps explain some of the more inexplicable phenomena that we see. And the fact that Monica is no longer a being of pure energy doesn't change the fact that while she's operating in electromagnetic energy form, she still uses the same intrinsic tools. The only difference is that now she reverts to a human form, presumably so that it makes other writers easier to use her in stories without her appearing to be too OP for the field.

have Monica defeat a god/demi-god character as a power stunt. make it impressive.

So Jacapo Camagni is doing 2 issues of Strikeforce (5 & 6) and then it's back to German Peralta.

This pleases me. Both artists are fantastic.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    have Monica defeat a god/demi-god character as a power stunt. make it impressive.
    I'd prefer to go the other direction. Since she chose to live and operate below her true ability, I'd have Monica regularly get her head handed to her. I'd even have Nyx show up and either kill her (to be, no doubt, resurrected later), or permanently scar her. Perhaps even as far as to prevent her from having kids, since Nyx sees Monica as the person responsible for the death of two of her children. The lesson here is simple: if you're not making the utmost of your potential, you're ultimately failing in the grand scheme of things. If Monica was a brilliant high school kid who deliberately failed tests just so that she could fit in with the rest of the average kids, we'd all be pissed. Life choices like that often have disastrous consequences, absent a timely course correction. As long as Monica remains at this level, I'd show Monica getting her ass kicked more often than not when facing powerful gods, demons, Eternals, aliens, etc.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

From Peralta's Twitter:

That Angela look is so good it should be her official costume.

Ultimate Member

I like how the rest of them can (more or less) fit in, but you apparently can't take Angela or Blade anywhere...

this book has really hit its stride, love the dialogue
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I like how the rest of them can (more or less) fit in, but you apparently can't take Angela or Blade anywhere...
    Yeah, those swords should immediately blow their cover.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Man I'm loving Angela's look.