Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Geoff Johns's BEST book or idea.

Figured the other thread could use it's own alternate Earth thread.

Geoff Johns is up there on the Mount Rushmore of DC Greats.

Which is your favorite comic or idea that's come out of him?

That's a tough call for me, because there's so, so much stuff to choose from.

My personal favorite period for him might be when he had hit his sweet spot with the Justice Society of America and was clearly having a ball, while simultaneously killing it on Green Lantern and playing in the greatest comics jam band of Waid, Morrison, Rucka, and Giffen during Fifty-Two.

There's a lot of stuff I love but I really like Superman Secret Origin. It's nothing too amazing but I can read it anytime whenever and always enjoy it. It's what a basic modern Superman origin should be.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I would say Green Lantern Rebirth. The way it fit into some obscure Green Lantern lore and fixed the 'Parallax' problem and still made the retcons work with previous continuity... It showed he really did his homework and had some passion for it.

The rest of his Green Lantern run I consider to be a lot of hit and miss.. but Rebirth was top notch.

Close behind would be his JSA run. I loved that book to death when it came out... I don't think it holds up as well having read it again this last year, but it was really good at the time. Also on the short list would be his Flash run where he was revamping the Rogues... I dont' think he did Wally many favors, but he really elevated some villains who had become jokes.

BANNED

I'm a Geoff Johns fan and have enjoyed most of his DC work. He really knows how to make you route for your heroes. Forever Evil for example had that great Justice League tie-in with Cyborg and the Metal Men. Cyborg being on the Justice League was controversial and he was the star of this story while the rest of the League were gone, this story was almost a response to fans, Johns' argument of Vic's worthiness as a founding League member. Also, great moments like Sinestro holding Black Adam's jaw so he can say Shazam or Lex realizing he can say the magic word. Darkseid War, the culmination of his JL run and in a way the New 52 itself, had stellar movie-level moments. In every Johns' book there is always something that will make me cheer for the characters, which I really appreciate. He balances the stakes very well so it's not over the top either, his stories to me really feel like a fan is writing them. so it's very inspiring.

His Hawkman run is also underrated
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-09-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

52 as a collab, JSA as a large work, DC Universe Rebirth as a single comic.

His Green Lantern run was amazing. Green Lantern Rebirth and the Emotional Spectrum are the two stand out ideas and the Sinestro Corps War, introduction of the other emotional corps and Blackest Night are his best stories.

His pre New 52 Superman work was also amazing. With Last Son, Brainiac, Secret Origin being stand out stories. Secret Origin is still my favourite Superman origin as it puts together, in my opinion, the best bits of Superman’s origin stories while also telling a great story.

Johns managed to make Aquaman a character that can be taken seriously without cutting off his arm and putting him in a dumb costume. Every change he made to the Aquaman mythos was good and needed in my opinion.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    There's a lot of stuff I love but I really like Superman Secret Origin. It's nothing too amazing but I can read it anytime whenever and always enjoy it. It's what a basic modern Superman origin should be.
    I love the first couple issues of Secret Origins, even if I think the rest of the story doesn't quite live up to that beginning.

His early run on The Flash with Scott Kolins
    Superman and the Legion of Superheroes
    Escape from Bizarro World
    Braniac

I'll say Green Lantern. Everything through Blackest Night was such an amazing ride for a franchise that DC hadn't prioritized in years. I realize the quality ebbed and flowed and they didn't all last, but at one point the GL-universe had FIVE ongoings at once during the New 52 and their popularity is all owed to what Johns did.

His first Flash stint is up there, too. Waid's run is the top of the mountain for me personally, but the work Johns did with the Rogues is virtually unparalleled.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

His Green Lantern run. From Rebirth to the new52 GL ending( First Lantern story) is an amazing stuff
    Sinestro Corps, Emotional Spectrum, Parallax, Blackest Night, ETC
    I also enjoying his JSA run which made me a JSA fan
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

BANNED

I want to say Infinite Crisis for the return of the COIE stuff, in fact I would have liked to see how Geoff Johns does a FULL POWER GIRL storyline with her dealing with all of this instead of side-story in JSA.

His First Flash run was great too and his Green Lantern showed how Hal Jordan was rebirth in modern times and redeem overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post

Johns managed to make Aquaman a character that can be taken seriously without cutting off his arm and putting him in a dumb costume. Every change he made to the Aquaman mythos was good and needed in my opinion.
    I agree that he made Aquaman a character to be taken seriously, his run is the best ever. However I never agreed that he cancelled the fact that Mera and Arthur had a child. It was not needed, just as it was not needed that they never had been married. Unfortunately his Aquaman run was short and with exception of Parker, those that followed have ruined much of his work. Aquaman currently is awful.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

JSA was his best and most consistent work and I loved his run on the Flash before issue 200. Green Lantern was hit and miss and got worse as it went along but you can't argue with Sinestro Corps War. And I know many hate it but I love his Superman, even if I feel he never got to finish his run as it segued into the whole New Krypton thing.

His best work, though, tends to be on anti-heroes and complex villains like Black Adam and Sinestro. Aside for Superman, in fact, he is a much, much, much better writer of villains than of heroes.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    I agree that he made Aquaman a character to be taken seriously, his run is the best ever. However I never agreed that he cancelled the fact that Mera and Arthur had a child. It was not needed, just as it was not needed that they never had been married. Unfortunately his Aquaman run was short and with exception of Parker, those that followed have ruined much of his work. Aquaman currently is awful.
    I agree that Arthur and Mera not getting married and not having a child are definitely missed opportunities from Johns. But I am still happy with the Aquaman mythos he created.

I would also say that Abnett (for the most part) had a good run that followed Johns well.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Almost all of his JSA stuff was dead brilliant, in my opinion.

For ideas, I'll still assert that the rainbow corps was wonderful, silly comic book fun.

And again, assuming Doomsday Clock hasn't been utterly mucked up by editorial, it's looking downright masterful.