Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default The Suspicious Coincidences of The Big Two

I've been reading both Marvel and DC's Comics from 1961, month by month. It's been interesting. Looking at styles and just the way the medium evolved over time. Perhaps most interesting to me are some of the coincidences I see along the way.

Case in point: in 1987 DC relaunched the old Charlton character Captain Atom, and Marvel created a villain for Iron Man called the Ghost. The coincidence? The original Captain Atom's greatest adversary was a character called The Ghost. Although there were several differences between the two, they had similar abilities and both were basically saboteurs.

Does anybody on here know anything about the backstory on this?

What's your favorite coincidence?

Doom Patrol/X-Men

The 1993 Annuals
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Swamp thing and Man Thing so close debuts.

If thebig two usually shares artists and pencillers,who talk among themselves, coincidences usually happens.

That is, if there are coincidences.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Boisterously Confused

Fair point. See The Heap

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Swamp thing and Man Thing so close debuts.

If thebig two usually shares artists and pencillers,who talk among themselves, coincidences usually happens.

That is, if there are coincidences.
    Not only where their debuts close, but the writers were roommates at the time.

Mighty Member

Captain America and Batman both thought dead but really being unstuck in time is my favorite one in part because I love both stories and in part because they're superficially similar but all the details are very different.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Captain America and Batman both thought dead but really being unstuck in time is my favorite one in part because I love both stories and in part because they're superficially similar but all the details are very different.
    Wow. Great Catch!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They both have a villain called Scarecrow. And Boomerang.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Wow. Great Catch!
    Plus their sidekicks came back from the dead as villains the same year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Plus their sidekicks came back from the dead as villains the same year as well.
    ...huh.

Didn't Brubaker leave the Bat-Books right before Under the Red Hood happened?

He left in 2003, just a year before Winick's run, yeah. Never considered that aspect.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    He left in 2003, just a year before Winick's run, yeah. Never considered that aspect.
    And right before Hush, which had the original Jason Todd fake out
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

BANNED

Captain America having secret empire which was the culmination of everything set up in Spencer's run and Batman having metal just after which was the culmination of Snyder and Capullos story arcs and both featuring alt. versions of cap and bats. Seems like Captain America and Batman books share a eerie synchrony.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 06-05-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Marvel's Hawkgod....they couldn't think of any other design? Or is this a homage to Hawkman?

Retired

Roy Thomas himself noted that it was odd how he created the Vision at the very same time the writer he had grown up admiring (and who had become a dear friend) created the android Red Tornado. Roy and Reddie even have the same initials, RT. "The Stormy Return of the Red Tornado," JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 64 (August 1968) went on sale June 13, 1968; "Behold . . . the Vision," THE AVENGERS 57 (October 1968) went on sale August 8, 1968. Both of these crimson androids are also revivals of different non-android characters with the same names, from the early days of DC and Marvel.