Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default "Great Scott! Great Krypton! Great Rao!" and other Superman expletives past...

During the Silver/Bronze Age, Superman (across multiple media) often uttered such expletives as "Great Scott!", "Great Krypton!", or "Great Rao!" during moments of surprise or dismay. It was a convention of that era that largely disappeared after the Post-COIE reboot.

Would you like to see, within moderation, some return of this old Superman quirk? I feel his narrative "voice" has been missing something since he began eschewing these expressions Post-COIE. It doesn't need to be excessively frequent as it was in the past, but something we see at select, appropriate moments.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

well I don't want "great scott" back, he's superman, it's 2019 and he's not doc brown. But the others I'd be happy to see come back. Actually it might be better if Kara gets "Great Krypton!" and "Great Rao" instead of Kal. Makes more sense for her, given she actually remembers Krypton. And maybe he later picks up some of her verbal habits after spending time with her.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't think "Great Scott!" disappeared until the mid 90s. Although many fictional characters like Batman also used to say it, I don't remember people saying stuff like that in my life. So I'm fine with them gone. But there's a certain charm to him borrowing "Caesar's Ghost." I remember "Great Rao!" had a comeback last decade or so.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

"Great Scott" is admittedly dated. Even when it was in common use during the Silver Age, I doubt most readers knew its origins.

In the latest Super Sons, Jon actually exclaimed, "Great Scott!" at one point, though it had Damian wondering what that was supposed to mean. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    In the latest Super Sons, Jon actually exclaimed, "Great Scott!" at one point, though it had Damian wondering what that was supposed to mean. lol
    It's definitely a relic from the 19th Century and first half of the 20th Century.

The origins of "Great Scott!"