Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Young Justice #6, and the end of the first arc.

Okay, I didn’t see any threads in particular about this, and I’d like to hear what everyone’s opinions are, not just on the issue itself, but in the overall first arc.

I mean, I really enjoyed this issue; Superboy’s story was a nice little moment, Bart was hilarious, and they really sold me on the intrigue of the team trying to solve their lost memories this time. And yeah, the ending was something I’m okay with, in part because while I know Bendis has a varied track record, I figure most of the characters are safe out of Didio’s line of sight as they adventure in the Multiverse.

The first arc, on the other hand, struck me as probably too stretched out. Once we got towards the end, it got better, but the first part was a pretty rough example of how decompression can kill a monthly comic.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I thought Teen Lantern's inclusion was too superfluous and felt like she could have been cut/benched for later.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought Teen Lantern's inclusion was too superfluous and felt like she could have been cut/benched for later.
    Same, I popped in and out of this arc (I've never really been particularly sold on Young Justice comics) but when I did pop in Teen Lantern never really did anything that struck me as to why she needed to be there at all. Which is a bummer because I was most interested in seeing what she's about. However, I did dig her justification for going to Metropolis, I thought it was funny. "I hacked a Green Lantern power battery, lemme see if I can get an internship off that." I love it because it's totally what I'd do in that situation!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Wasn't a fan of Bendis' non-Spider-man work when he was over at Marvel, and I definitely have not been enjoying him on Superman. His dialogue style (to me) works best with teenagers (which is why adult superheroes and villains in his hands sound to me like Shakespeare in the park actors). Really enjoyed the banter between these adolescent superheroes. Really brought me back to the irreverent style of the original Young Justice.

I'm eh about the whole Gem world setting. Didn't really make an impact on me, and the big villain is especially forgettable. He is built up as being super powerful and is warping reality, but then is able to be easily restrained and then knocked out with a couple of punches.

The ending twist (traveling the Multiverse), made this series feel like Bendis is cribbing, whole cloth, from Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers run (end of their first arc, they are forced to leave Earth and travel the various dimensions). Teen Lantern is an age and (green) color copy of Kid Loki. I really enjoyed Young Avengers, so I certainly don't mind seeing a similar thing, but I can't help but notice the parallels.

Overall - thrilled that Tim Drake has recovered from the new-52 nerf, thrilled to see members of the original Young Justice back together again, and am intrigued to see their continuing adventures. Unlike others, it doesn't depress me that they don't return to Earth, as hopefully that means they are free from all the doom and gloom of the Year of Villains.

I will say that Im pretty disappointed by what happen to Conner
    Pretty interesting concept that was just reduce to pretty much nothing. I was superinterested in knowing more about this new "Super-family" and at the end of the day it was just discharted

Mighty Member

Ok,wanted to start the same Thread now, but glad that we already have it now...

I really have EXTREMELY!!!!!!! Mixed feelings...

1. This Issue made the whole series more mature, which I REALLY REALLY liked it, because most of the early issues were more made for younger readers..This was the first issue where I really felt that its also something for adults (I am 33 Years old and Conner,Tim etc. deserve to be in a more adult Series)

BUT!!

2. I HATE!! the ENDING! I mean WHY did they give us Conner with "Wife" and kid and then take them away? It really made me depressed yesterday for the whole day and also today when I saw the pictures it made me really sad...Why wasnt it possible to have a Good Ending?

It would have been very easy to make Tim say that Lophi can come with them and the Wayne Foundation will give them a house etc. but now I am NOT EXCITED, but rather scared because Lophi and Kid dont have protection and it also makes me REALLY REALLY REALLY sad to see that the kid loses the only father who she knows...

This ruinates me everything, I know that they will surely later come back...but this makes me incredible sad...

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Same, I popped in and out of this arc (I've never really been particularly sold on Young Justice comics) but when I did pop in Teen Lantern never really did anything that struck me as to why she needed to be there at all. Which is a bummer because I was most interested in seeing what she's about. However, I did dig her justification for going to Metropolis, I thought it was funny. "I hacked a Green Lantern power battery, lemme see if I can get an internship off that." I love it because it's totally what I'd do in that situation!
    I thought the internship thing was cute and hilarious but I really didn't like her backstory or lack there of. I was really hoping for some detail.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member

I have to agree with the flashback issues, however it was a burden that Bendis had to do because of how bad editorial messed these chars ups. However, this is a solid arc and I'm sure TPB will be more enjoyable.

Next arc is sure to top this easy since we'll be hitting hard with the present time line.

YJ #4 only sold 31,319 units. Is that bad? Does it spell trouble for the title? There's a lot of DC titles below it but i just wanna make sure that this title is safe its the only one i'm picking up atm.
    Last edited by Darkcrusade25; 06-05-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    I have to agree with the flashback issues, however it was a burden that Bendis had to do because of how bad editorial messed these chars ups. However, this is a solid arc and I'm sure TPB will be more enjoyable.

Next arc is sure to top this easy since we'll be hitting hard with the present time line.

YJ #4 only sold 31,319 units. Is that bad? Does it spell trouble for the title? There's a lot of DC titles below it but i just wanna make sure that this title is safe its the only one i'm picking up atm.
    I wouldnt say that, BECAUSE I think that YJ will now begin to sell more, BECAUSE I think that the Flashbacks Issue is over and in the next Issues they are coming to Kingdom Come etc. and there they will meet probably BIG NAMES like SUPERMAN OF KINGDOM COME, FLASH OF KINGDOM COME... etc.

So BIG NAMES+LESS FLASHBACKS+TEAM TOGETHER+NO GEMWORLD could really really really really make the Series more interesting and push the sales...

BUT!!!!
    https://imgur.com/a/VZPfrv0
    https://screenrant.com/superman-gran...fe-baby-comic/

HELLO!!! SINCE WHEN DOES THE BABY HAS BROWN EYES?????!!!!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post

http://yetanothercomicsblog.blogspot...les-march.html

Here look...

With 31.000 you are still in the range of Martian Manhunter,Aquaman,Wonder Woman,Nightwing,Titans,Teen Titans,Super Sons,Green Arrow...also sometimes above them!!

This was a weird arc. This issue, in particular, felt like it could have been the second half of a two-parter. But I'm happy to have the team together, happy to be leaving Gemworld and happy to have the new status quo in place.

I liked this overall arc, I read the first 2 issues when they came out then I read issues 1 - 6 this Wednesday, and reading it all together is always a fun experience since you don't have to wait. So while it's still fresh in my mind, I'm gonna give my thoughts on each issue.

Issue 1: It was a good set up, I really don't have any thoughts outside of that.

Issue 2: Liked the the whole Cassie being called Zatanna thing as a callback to the Justice League (Unlimited) animated series where Booster Gold is called Green Lantern by a little boy.

I liked that we get to see Cassie struggling with multiple things here. There are many examples in that issue of people calling her by the wrong name, not knowing or remembering who she is and she even stated she was feeling like she was back in high school, and then you have her talking to Zeus (who I hope we see again) about doing her own thing, and making her own path, wanting to feel like she's earned that necklace.

I would say this issue and issue #6 kind of puts things into perspective about the way Cassie acted in issue #1 when she was hiding in that alley with tears.

Issue 3: I know that the Conner and Cassie ship has a good sizable fanbase and I was wanting to see if Bendis would let these characters make romantic connections with other people. And so when it looked like we were being introduced to Conner's wife and kid, I was shocked, but I was intrigued and I was open to this situation and the storylines it could possibly cultivate and just the visual of a late teen/early twenty something character already being married with a kid and being fulfilled in one aspect of their life just seemed so different. Of course after reading issue #6 I was open-minded for nothing, but what this issue made me think about was nice. I also really enjoyed the reunion of Bart and Conner.

Issue 4: I don't know anything about Amethyst or Gemworld but these flashbacks in this issue have made me interested in her book that will be coming out in the second wave of Wonder Comics. I like the sword and sorcery, I like the political struggle, I like the double crossing, I like that Amethyst is apparently not from Gemworld or at least didn't grow up there... So I'm liking what I'm seeing here and I'm essentially buying what this issue is selling me when it comes to Amethyst.

Issue 5: I have no feelings what so ever about the Tim and Stephanie pairing, I could have done without that whole interaction between them, what mattered to me was this idea of someone erasing Tim's memory of Young Justice. Taking issue 6 into consideration, Tim was the only one of YJ4 who didn't remember anything about Young Justice, yes in real life we know why that is, death, soft reboots, unknown continuity etc but in story while you can say Conner being on Genworld didn't effect his memory of YJ, or Bart being from the future didn't effect his either, Cassie easily could have been in the same boat as Tim but the fact that she's not and it's only Tim makes it intriguing to me. I just don't know if we'll get any answers, I mean how much can Bendis give, what is it or isn't off the table at DC.

Issue 6: This issue was my favorite, my first thoughts after reading it was I hope Amy calling Emerald "mom" in issue #4 was a typo b/c she does not give a f*** about what happens to Amy.

The goodbye scene of Conner, Lophi and baby Martha was cute, damn you Bendis for being the type of writer who would actually have a character have a whole a** family out of no where but not actually following through this time. I was so open-minded and ready.

"I'm just acting weird because I'm...weird" okay Cassie that seemed like a pause to me; I'm wondering when she's gonna be up front about what she's struggling with and who she'll open up to.

I like the Jenny Hex character and I'm curious about what's in the chest.

Teen Lantern is cute but I'm wondering about her, did Patrick Gleason have a story or idea for the character outside of hacking iinto a green lantern ring and possibly having to deal with Green Lanterns, I'm just curious how Bendis will go beyond that especially since Patrick is going to Marvel.

Did it seem like Dark Lord Opal was defeated pretty easily or was it just me, Impulse using his super speed to get the crystal and take away the kryptonite so easily certainly didn't help lessen that feeling.

~~

Whew, that was a lot to write, alll in all a fun arc, glad backstories and flashbacks were in this first arc now this book doesn't have that anchor dragging it down.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Issue 5: I have no feelings what so ever about the Tim and Stephanie pairing, I could have done without that whole interaction between them, what mattered to me was this idea of someone erasing Tim's memory of Young Justice. Taking issue 6 into consideration, Tim was the only one of YJ4 who didn't remember anything about Young Justice, yes in real life we know why that is, death, soft reboots, unknown continuity etc but in story while you can say Conner being on Genworld didn't effect his memory of YJ, or Bart being from the future didn't effect his either, Cassie easily could have been in the same boat as Tim but the fact that she's not and it's only Tim makes it intriguing to me. I just don't know if we'll get any answers, I mean how much can Bendis give, what is it or isn't off the table at DC.
    Bart wasnt affected because he was in the SPEEDFORCE!!! Its completely like WALLY, the two simply remind because they landed in the Speedforce at the END OF PRE-FLASHPOINT...
    This means that they are like if they were sent in a Room to wait...The characters in Speedforce arent affected by the Time-Changes, its really simple..
    Wally was also the one who remembered the Titans etc.

Cassie is just simply an Amalgan Version of Pre-Flashpoint and NEW52...She has Pre-Flashpoint Powers, NEW52 Origin and seemingly the Young Justice TV Series Lasso with no secret powers..
    So she is like the Superman of Young Justice, who is also the Amalgan Version of NEW52 and Pre-Flashpoint...

Extraordinary Member

Bart also at one point specifically mentions having a “Late 90’s costume”...

...which might imply he perceives things even more accurately than Wally.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

So now that the Gem World arc is over, I can say with 100% certainty that I wish this series was just the original 4 YJ members. Jinny and Teen Lantern bring zero to the table so far and Amethyst...I'm just not feeling her.

Of course this is subject to change but these are just my first impressions so far. Conner, Cassie, Bart, and Tim are in top form. But the three tagalongs I can do without.