wayi

Default DC’s StarTrek comics!!

Why have these never been available digitally? I have the cd that came out years ago but they are poor quality compared to modern scans. I have the runs on floppies but would love to get hd digital versions

They don't have the rights to reprint them or make them available digitally.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    They don't have the rights to reprint them or make them available digitally.
    Whoever currently has the licenses for those properties would probably be the ones to release them digitally these days, but they might have to re-publish them in paper copies under their own imprint first.

I believe there are more than one rights issues going on with Trek right now. In addition to DC not having the rights, the rights for Trek from Paramount and whoever else has rights may be something to be accounted for. Of course, I'm going off what I've seen in Youtube videos so I could be totally off base, but I am confident that the rights status is a legal Gordian Knot.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I believe there are more than one rights issues going on with Trek right now. In addition to DC not having the rights, the rights for Trek from Paramount and whoever else has rights may be something to be accounted for. Of course, I'm going off what I've seen in Youtube videos so I could be totally off base, but I am confident that the rights status is a legal Gordian Knot.
    Yeah.
    I think IDW still has the license.
    But I don't think it guarantees that they can reprint them.
    I think they would have to go through CBS and then make a deal with DC, which owns the stories and art.

IDW was doing an Archive series that reprinted random runs of DC's Star Trek titles, but it seems they stopped it in 2009 after six violumes.
    I remember considering them a while back, but passed on them because they didn't start from the first issue.

Yeah.
    I think IDW still has the license.
    But I don't think it guarantees that they can reprint them.
    I think they would have to go through CBS and then make a deal with DC, which owns the stories and art.

IDW was doing an Archive series that reprinted random runs of DC's Star Trek titles, but it seems they stopped it in 2009 after six violumes.
    I remember considering them a while back, but passed on them because they didn't start from the first issue.
    It could have involved what characters are used. Don't know if DC could own certain characters created specifically by DC for the comic book stories or not.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I remember buying the DC Star Trek series back in the day.

StarTrekDC1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I remember buying the DC Star Trek series back in the day.
    Star Trek was good to read alongside Legion. Especially if you love sci-fi.
    They were also the only two properties to get their own Who's Who series in the '80s.

Star Trek was good to read alongside Legion. Especially if you love sci-fi.
    They were also the only two properties to get their own Who's Who series in the '80s.
    The beauty of the DC series was the advancement of the story past the movies and an attempt to progress the characters. It often awkwardly missed the plot of the next movie, but was entertaining.

Extraordinary Member

I know this isn't DC Related, but does anyone remember the Gold Key Star Trek comics from the 1970s? Those were great and had some decent story-telling and art.

Last edited by caj; 06-07-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Was a devout Trekkie from 1966 until about two years into Voyager. I gave up on that. Did try a few episodes of Enterprise....not my cup of Andorian wine.
    Since I tended to center on certain characters and those particular characters did not fair well in comic book stories appearances wise, I didn't buy the books. Concentrated on novels and Fotonovels and the occasional fanzine you could get in specialty stores.

Has there been any stories that would be considered comic book classics (like Trouble with Tribbles was a show classic)? Something I can seek at a store? Note that my favorites were Scotty, McCoy, and the Enterprise herself.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Eaglemoss offers a Star Trek graphic novels subscription service that has reprinted several arcs from both DC's TOS and TNG series. The quality is mediocre (poor scans, some off-center pages), but it's the only place I've seen this material reprinted. They've also done some of the late 90's Marvel stuff, but most of that is... not great.

I would contend that Star Trek comics in general were never better than when DC held the license from 1984-1996. Wildstorm's output from 2000-2002 was decent as well.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES