BANNED

Default Will Doomsday Clock give us an answer to why Jor-El is in the present ?

In Doomsday Clock #10 we see Dr. Manhattan and his interference in the DCU and Superman's history, but it seems that they left out a bigger question: WHY DID DR. MANHATTAN SAVED JOR-EL FROM KRYPTON EXPLODING ?

Shouldn't that question be answered in Doomsday Clock ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    In Doomsday Clock #10 we see Dr. Manhattan and his interference in the DCU and Superman's history, but it seems that they left out a bigger question: WHY DID DR. MANHATTAN SAVED JOR-EL FROM KRYPTON EXPLODING ?

Shouldn't that question be answered in Doomsday Clock?
    Who knows?

Was that something Geoff Johns came up with himself, or was the Superman-side of things responsible for that head-scratcher?

If it turns out Johns didn't come up with it, should he be the one stuck explaining it?

It was Johns. Mr Oz was properly introduced during his New 52 Superman run. Tying it into Doomsday Clock and all that jazz was obviously much later developments, but the core concept was his.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It might be explained in Clock. It was Johns' idea, after all so it'd make sense for him to be the one to wrap it up. But plans at DC have changed, and we know that Bendis worked with Johns (among others) in crafting his run so I could see this particular subplot being shifted from Clock to Bendis' Superman.

Time will tell I guess.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

While I know Johns was using "Mr. Oz", I didn't know if the fact that he was really Jor-El came from Geoff Johns himself or not. (It did seem a bit bizarre.)

Well, the line is that Mr. Oz was always intended to be Jor-El. Which would mean it was Johns' idea. Of course, "it was always the plan" is an oft used cliche even when actually not true, so there's always that to consider. Not to mention even if it was always intended to be Jor-El, during the New 52 who knows if it was intended to be the Jor-El from that reality. So a couple provisos, but just based on what's been said and what can be proven, I think its at least reasonable to give the credit (or discredit?) to Johns here, unless we ever hear otherwise.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-07-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mr. Oz also had many of the hallmarks of Johns' writing; the slow build-up subplot with sporadic appearances of the mystery person, emphasis put on parental dynamics, taking that dynamic and twisting it up into something unnecessarily weird and convoluted that detracts from the hero's pure motivation of "helping people because it's just the right thing to do." I mean, we did have all that "I taught you everything you know" stuff right?

Sacred is right in that we can't really know who is responsible for what, but I feel pretty confident thinking that Oz/Jor-El was Johns' baby. Could be wrong, but I'd bet ten bucks I'm not.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think Johns definitely had a hand in the decision to make him Jor El, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oz started out as Ozymandias in the New 52 run and then they swapped him out for Jor El once they decided on Rebirth and Doomsday Clock needing Ozymandias to be a central character. From everything I've seen Rebirth wasn't decided upon as a definite direction until DCYou failed and Oz predates that by a bit.