Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb X-men Dark Phoenix *spoilers*

I didn't see one of these and I think we need to talk about this movie in detail

My overall Thoughts on this movie is MEH. It is fine as stand alone. It is complete trash as the final movie in a series

Here are my gripes as X-man fan

Bad

1. Mystique was great as the brilliant tactical leader, unfortunately, the X-men has one of those already his name is CYCLOPS it is insane that she is playing that role. Which makes her we should call the X-men "X-women" line even more insane

2. The space sequence is one of the more stupidest things I have seen in a film. It hurts your head that someone wrote that scene and people said it was okay. There was no effort to pretend that scene could make sense. They just went f**k it is superhero movie nobody cares that it is not logical. We are not even going to try.

3. Hello, I am out of character -Beast, Magneto, and Nightcrawler all have moments, Hey that character wouldn't do that. Magneto and Beast thinking that they must kill Jean then going nah you guys are right we shouldn't kill doesn't make any sense. Nightcrawler had a cool moment when he goes out of control but that is completely out of character for him. It was like they went hey Wolverine is not in this movie somebody has to have a badass kill a bunch of people scene.

4. Storm made ice cubes and it felt like that was her purpose at the party

5. The big villain was stupid and one of the reasons this movie suffered. Using the D'Bari and keeping them secret, like it was big secret a waste. They should have used Shiar and Jessica Chastain was Deathbird and the other aliens were Shiar death commandos it would have been better.

6. Storm vs Red Lotus

7. This is the final movie in the series and it failed in that role. The fact the made this movie without the effort to wrap up the franchise is horrible. Are they pretending that these movies were going to move on after?

Good

1. It was nice to see mutants as heroes and the world not hating them(Even though the world turned on them quickly)

2. Professor X was done to perfection he is morally questionable but the still a good person

3. The action sequences were solid and entertaining.

4. The acting performance by everyone was solid nobody was horrible
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-07-2019 at 05:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I didn't see one of these and I think we need to talk about this movie in detail

My overall Thoughts on this movie is MEH. It is fine as stand alone. It is complete trash as the final movie in a series

Here are my gripes as X-man fan

Bad

1. Mystique was great as the brilliant tactical leader, unfortunately, the X-men has one of those already his name is CYCLOPS it is insane that she is playing that role. Which makes her we should call the X-men "X-women" line even more insane

2. The space sequence is one of the more stupidest things I have seen in a film. It hurts your head that someone wrote that scene and people said it was okay. There was no effort to pretend that scene could make sense. They just went f**k it is superhero movie nobody cares that it is not logical. We are not even going to try.

3. Hello, I am out of character -Beast, Magneto, and Nightcrawler all have moments, Hey that character wouldn't do that. Magneto and Beast thinking that they must kill Jean then going nah you guys are right we shouldn't kill doesn't make any sense. Nightcrawler had a cool moment when he goes out of control but that is completely out of character for him. It was like they went hey Wolverine is not in this movie somebody has to have a badass kill a bunch of people scene.

4. Storm made ice cubes and it felt like that was her purpose at the party

5. The big villain was stupid and one of the reasons this movie suffered. Using the D'Bari and keeping them secret, like it was big secret a waste. They should have used Shiar and Jessica Chastain was Deathbird and the other aliens were Shiar death commandos it would have been better.

6. Storm vs Red Lotus

7. This is the final movie in the series and it failed in that role. The fact the made this movie without the effort to wrap up the franchise is horrible. Are they pretending that these movies were going to move on after?

Good

1. It was nice to see mutants as heroes and the world not hating them(Even though the world turned on them quickly)

2. Professor X was done to perfection he is morally questionable but the still a good person

3. The action sequences were solid and entertaining.

4. The acting performance by everyone was solid nobody was horrible
    I think its a good film. Definitely far from the worst this franchise has to offer, but coming nowhere close to the lofty heights this franchise has reached in the past.

I don't think this film was ever designed to be the conclusion to the entire franchise. Despite what Kinberg said after the deal came through, this was originally meant to be the start of a new trilogy focused on the younger versions of Scott, Jean, Ororo etc. That said, it does work as a pretty good conclusion to the 'First Class' series in terms of bringing Charles and Eric full circle, ending Raven's story, and setting Hank down a path that is quiet natural for his character in this particular cycle of movies.

I loved the fact that we get to see the X-men established as a team. The idea that Xavier has become a slave to PR and is using the X-men's heroics to safeguard mutants was an interesting take on the mutant metaphor that we haven't really seen in these films so far - and I kinda hoped it would be explored further. Xavier has been a pretty morally grey character in the comics so its nice to see that side of him in the movies.

As far as the Dark Phoenix story itself goes - they got all the broad beats from the original right. Using the D'Bari was a nice touch - working in the destruction of their homeworld (something Jean was responsible for in the original) even more so. The battle at the Hellfire Club in the comics was one of the most iconic X-men battles ever - while they don't really recreate the scope of that, the fight on the streets of New York was a more-than-decent effort. In fact, I found myself kinda surprised by just how much I liked the fight scenes in this film. There was a kind of gritty realism to them, even though they involved mutant powers.

The ending was interesting in that I think its the first time this story has ended with Jean not only alive, but still wielding the powers of the Pheonix. X3 and the original story ended with her death, the 90's cartoon version and 'Wolverine and the X-men' ended with her going back to normal. I suppose we could have seen Jean as Phoenix in a potential future installment had the deal not gone through.

Hell, maybe we COULD see Jean as Pheonix in an MCU film, since the Multiverse is now a thing in the MCU...after all, she does now have the power to, theoretically, visit other universes.

More stuff

1. They never explained why we saw Phoenix in X-Men Apocalypse. No attempts to explain that

2. They never explained what happened to Quicksilver, He got hurt they didn't explain how serious

3. Magneto pulls up a train for no reason,They were cars and buses on the street for some reason he pulled subway train from underground to follow him in

Oops wrong thread.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-08-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

1. They never explained why we saw Phoenix in X-Men Apocalypse. No attempts to explain that
    That’s because they cut it out and would have been explored more in a sequel. This kind of thing happened to Hope Summers.

BANNED

Is there a need for this thread? I'd like to recommend that it be merged with the original thread.

The X-Men were world heroes with toys and a "Bat Phone" to the U.S. President also the U.S. Government gave Magneto an Island. Then Jean kills Mystique and attacks some cops and soldiers and we got the Prez not taking Charles calls, the Senate considering Mutant Internment, and Mutant Control Units. Anyone else hear Ron Burgundy say "That Escalated Quickly" in their heads when watching the film?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The X-Men were world heroes with toys and a "Bat Phone" to the U.S. President also the U.S. Government gave Magneto an Island. Then Jean kills Mystique and attacks some cops and soldiers and we got the Prez not taking Charles calls, the Senate considering Mutant Internment, and Mutant Control Units. Anyone else hear Ron Burgundy say "That Escalated Quickly" in their heads when watching the film?
    Is the Island Genosha? Cause I've heard people say that all you see of it is basically a ugly Junk Yard. If so that's upsetting, of your spending 200m on a movie I would have loved atleast one wide shot of a beautiful Genosha(Assuming that's what they even call it in the movie).

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Is the Island Genosha? Cause I've heard people say that all you see of it is basically a ugly Junk Yard. If so that's upsetting, of your spending 200m on a movie I would have loved atleast one wide shot of a beautiful Genosha(Assuming that's what they even call it in the movie).
    Not sure if it was named but yeah it reminded me of the Hill Top or Alexandria from the Walking Dead I was half expecting Daryl to come around a corner.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    That’s because they cut it out and would have been explored more in a sequel. This kind of thing happened to Hope Summers.
    Yeah I thought this film didn't straight up answer but gave a pretty decent implication of it all.

spoilers:
    That Jean already had some kind of connection to the Force even as a child. So presumably in Apocalypse she was just channeling it remotely somehow before the actual Force which was trying to reach her did.
    end of spoilers

I'm seriusly wondering if a good chunk of that 200 mill went to Lawrence's 10 minute appearance on the show because yeah... it did NOT look like a 200 mill movie. Maybe it was simply the reshoots because otherwise I'm wondering where all the money went. Definately not on the Genosha set, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Theoretically this is still the same Jean we saw in Last Stand, even if the timeline is different. So apart from the cosmic entity she contacted on the ship, there should be an uber powerful personality or whatever in her anyways from what we saw in the earlier Phoenix movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Theoretically this is still the same Jean we saw in Last Stand, even if the timeline is different. So apart from the cosmic entity she contacted on the ship, there should be an uber powerful personality or whatever in her anyways from what we saw in the earlier Phoenix movie.
    Yup, pretty much.

My guess is that in Apocalypse, we basically caught a brief glimpse of Jean's Omega-level mutant powers. And in this movie, the Force is attracted to her when she uses those powers and takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm seriusly wondering if a good chunk of that 200 mill went to Lawrence's 10 minute appearance on the show because yeah... it did NOT look like a 200 mill movie. Maybe it was simply the reshoots because otherwise I'm wondering where all the money went. Definately not on the Genosha set, that's for sure.
    Yea was gonna wait a couple weeks to see this in theaters but I have a feeling it might not be in my local theater anymore in a couple weeks. The shape posted an article where someone behind the scenes says that if The Disney buyout didnt happen some people behind the scenes were praying Marvel would save them and make a Sony/Spiderman type deal with fox. I have a feeling people working in this film never felt good about it. Atleast some, and yea I have no idea what 200m was spent on. I guess reshooting your whole climax over from scratch would be expensive. I mean most CBM do reshoots but its shots that change a scene or add to it. Usually it not changing the entire climax. Curious to see a cost on doing that. Shoulda just saved the money released the original idea who cares if it's similar to Captain marvel. The movies have a way different aesthetic visually. I dont think anyone woulda been yelling about anything being to similar.

So were they always the Dbari or were they the Skrulls or Shiar before the reshoots?

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

So were they always the Dbari or were they the Skrulls or Shiar before the reshoots?
    They were initially Shi’ar, then nameless shapeshifter(the budget was cut at the last minute), and then D’Bari at the last minute. It was a mess.