Default Tom Holland's Uncharted gets release date

Looks like they're going for a Holiday season December 18th 2020 release, where I think it's primary competition might be Avatar 2, especially with no Star Wars for a while. The movie is based on the popular action playstation series, about a thief with a heart of gold/semi-archaeologist who primarily finds himself searching for lost cities ala Indiana Jones.

Tom Holland will play Nathan Drake, although I'm guessing they're going for a younger Drake other than the 30-40something character of the four games. Granted, there are levels in 3 and 4 which deal with Drake's younger years where he learned the trade under his older brother and later, Victor "Sully" Sullivan, so the movie might focus on that and embellish it a bit. Although the movie will probably not stick that true to the game continuity, I'm thinking they might have Chloe Frazier as the romantic interest, given that they had a past before Nate meets Elena.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think doing a new plot rather than a straight adaptation is a good idea.

The prequel angle is interesting but i don't know if Drake is that compelling to explore his 20s. I see it falling in the same hole as Solo.

BANNED

Not a fan of the game series, but I just don’t see “Drake” when I look at Holland. Granted it’s “younger Drake”, but I don’t even see the bare bones of that transformation. Maybe because I picture Holland as looking like a young, skinny twink for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think doing a new plot rather than a straight adaptation is a good idea.

The prequel angle is interesting but i don't know if Drake is that compelling to explore his 20s. I see it falling in the same hole as Solo.
    The whole thing's kind of a weird situation. Uncharted has to be one of the easier game series to adapt to film, as it's pretty much a playable movie. But as a movie, it's just an Indiana Jones clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The whole thing's kind of a weird situation. Uncharted has to be one of the easier game series to adapt to film, as it's pretty much a playable movie. But as a movie, it's just an Indiana Jones clone.
    I think because VideoGames are becoming more cinematic and can rival film as a medium, straight-forward adaptations might become redundant.

It sounds a bit better than the Russel film. While I suppose Wahlberg might've worked, there were rumors about Deniro and Joe Pesci as Drake's father and uncle. Seems kind of a weird idea, especially since Drake's father is pretty much non-existent in the games (He gets a passing mention in III and we learn about his mother in 4). I suppose they were maybe trying to split the Sully character into two?

The recent "Tomb Raider" was OK, but oddly I think it sort of more in tone with Uncharted than the actual (Super-gory)Tomb Raider game it was based on. In fact, it pretty much had the exact same ending as Drake's fortune, with the corpse infected with a virus(!) (The original game version of Himiko actually was sort of undead)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth