3 Doomsday Clock #10 $4.99 DC
    4 The Batman Who Laughs #5 $4.99 DC
    5 Savage Avengers #1 $4.99 Marvel
    6 The Immortal Hulk #17 $3.99 Marvel
    7 Amazing Spider-Man #21 $3.99 Marvel
    8 War Of Realms #3 $4.99 Marvel
    9 War Of Realms #4 $4.99 Marvel
    10 Batman #70 $3.99 DC
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 06-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Absolutely love that Ewing's Immortal Hulk is getting the sales it deserves.

spider-man is like a drunk wrestler who refuses to leave top 10
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Incredible Member

https://blog.comichron.com/2019/06/d...cs-orders.html

I still want to know what Marvel are doing to goose orders of Immortal Hulk. Like I said in that thread, the (Comichron eatimate) orders this year went
    • Jan 2019: Immortal Hulk #11 - 41010
    • Jan 2019: Immortal Hulk #12 - 41331
    • Feb 2019: Immortal Hulk #13 - 40496
    • Mar 2019: Immortal Hulk #14 - 45708
    • Mar 2019: Immortal Hulk #15 - 53120
    • Apr 2019: Immortal Hulk #16 - 90305

And while we don't have figures for May, the fact that it is #7 and still above Batman suggests it's still a lot closer to 90k than 40k. Yet, there's no sustainable way a book, with a continuing creative team & story, doubles in sales from one month to the next. None.

(The 45k was borderline believable as interest growing (there's a bunch of reorders/reprintings in April hovering around the 3-5k mark, although that includes #14 itself, so...), while 53k was dubious, especially in the same month as #14, but less so than going from 40k to 90k in three issues! And 40k was still decent, please note. Even at that, the book's in no real danger of cancellation. But this is is suspish...)

Extraordinary Member

https://www.comichron.com/

My thoughts and observations:

The market share % is seemingly not as useful a number when trying to see which monthly books are doing well. With the Big 2 pretty much tied for units that is quite the gap in dollars. This cannot be explained away by $3.99 vs $2.99. DC actually has 3 titles in the top 5 at $4.99/$5.99 and I doubt Marvel has some unusual amount of $4.99/$5.99 making up the bulk of the Top 20-50.

Until we see the full list, what this is leading me to think (although this has come across my mind in the prior months) is that the book sales and toy sales make up a good chunk of that market share. We have seen quite pricey omnibus recently that are topping the dollar charts. I wonder how much the toys contribute since we don't see numbers for those or if they are attributed to publishers, but that category has had a huge upswing this year..

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    https://www.comichron.com/

My thoughts and observations:

The market share % is seemingly not as useful a number when trying to see which monthly books are doing well. With the Big 2 pretty much tied for units that is quite the gap in dollars. This cannot be explained away by $3.99 vs $2.99. DC actually has 3 titles in the top 5 at $4.99/$5.99 and I doubt Marvel has some unusual amount of $4.99/$5.99 making up the bulk of the Top 20-50.

Until we see the full list, what this is leading me to think (although this has come across my mind in the prior months) is that the book sales and toy sales make up a good chunk of that market share. We have seen quite pricey omnibus recently that are topping the dollar charts. I wonder how much the toys contribute since we don't see numbers for those or if they are attributed to publishers, but that category has had a huge upswing this year..
    Six words: "Year of the Villain 25ç one-shot."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Six words: "Year of the Villain 25ç one-shot."
    Possibly, but they counted it in the market share yet did not list it in the charts?

Ultimate Member

May's orders of comic books and graphic novels in the comics shop market were higher than in any month since last October, but not quite good enough to beat May 2018, which had Amazing Spider-Man #800 among other blockbusters in the mix. Retailers ordered almost exactly $47 million in comic books and graphic novels from Diamond Comic Distributors this May, including 7.27 million comic books; both of those figures were down 4% year-over-year versus last May.
    Good news.

Still very, very happy for Incredible Hulk. Still outsold Batman

Fantastic Member

Obviously the 90k in April was because of the incentive cover..

I've been keeping track of Hulk sales for years now and from what I can tell it's just a perfect storm of end-of-year award buzz, tpbs coming out, new storyline with classic characters, etc.

(For those wondering how the numbers are so high)

As soon as icv2 posts detailed numbers I'll update my list and post it at the usual places.

EDIT: With reorders the title has been consistently in the 45k-50k range. Whether it's retailers still not believing a Hulk title can sell that well (not since Loeb/Pak had two ongoing Hulk titles), underestimating Ewing's sales ability (historically his solo titles haven't sold that well), or the inevitable events DC/Marvel do to cannibalize books making retailers cautious with initial orders since reordering seems to be working for them.
    Last edited by Cth; 06-07-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    But this is is suspish...)
    #16 had a huge push in the form of variants. Combined with lots of (financial) speculation and buzz for the story, it does not surprise me that enough retailers wanted to get in while it is hot. I wonder what the drop #18 (which release last week of May) sees.

It'll be interesting to see the full list of floppies when it comes out in a few days.

For me, the telling thing was that, in terms of Unit Sales, Marvel is only 1.17% ahead of DC even though they published twice as many floppies as DC (118 vs. 60). This surely means that, once again, the average DC comic sells better than the average Marvel comic.

Maybe DC and Image have the right idea: cut the clutter at the bottom and let the average sales increase.

BANNED

What is the largest units sold in this decade?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I wonder how the remainder of DCeased is going to perform now that they're not going to be able to market it as a Batman book?
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Gonna be real awky when the speculation boom for Hulk dies out in a few months.