Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2019 sales

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I wonder how the remainder of DCeased is going to perform now that they're not going to be able to market it as a Batman book?
    I mean, technically, aside from covers they were never really marketing it as a Batman book .

Fantastic Member

Goddamn Hulk is still kicking ass in sales.

I think the boost as someone mentioned seems to be a perfect storm of multiple things. Obviously the 1:25 cover boosted it a lot but then a lot of people that liked the issue itself decided to stick around and then the constant push from Marvel, the glowing reviews, the various recommendations on various sites, word of mouth, etc... all of that seems to have contributed to the book going up in sales in the recent months.

Incredible Member

Incidentally, went over the Comichron estimates of Immortal Hulk to date there... (sorry for the image):

(Note that a lot of the "subsequent months" were boosted heavily in April by belated reprints/liquidating variant covers/etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    It'll be interesting to see the full list of floppies when it comes out in a few days.

For me, the telling thing was that, in terms of Unit Sales, Marvel is only 1.17% ahead of DC even though they published twice as many floppies as DC (118 vs. 60). This surely means that, once again, the average DC comic sells better than the average Marvel comic.

Maybe DC and Image have the right idea: cut the clutter at the bottom and let the average sales increase.
    The problem with DC is their over reliance on a select few heroes. At least with marvel, you get a variety of different books people can get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    The problem with DC is their over reliance on a select few heroes. At least with marvel, you get a variety of different books people can get into.
    Well, DC did try to diversify a few years ago with the DCYou initiative, but it turned out people didn't want to read comics about the Green Team.

That's why the DC Rebirth initiative was launched right after DCYou's failure. It allowed DC to refocus on their most popular characters -- even publishing them twice a month for awhile.

Currently, they're trying to scale down the number of floppies and trades they publish, revert back to monthly publication, and instead branch out their popular characters into new formats like DC Ink, DC Zoom, and DC Black Label that can be sold in other venues besides comics stores.

If the LCS should all of a sudden get so healthy it can support 100 titles from each publisher, then DC will ramp up again, but let's face it, that's not going to happen, so DC's resources are better used to get a foothold into the bookstore market with new material rather than just use that valuable bookstore real estate to sell trade paperback reprints.

The future of the comics biz is OUTSIDE of the LCS, unfortunately. The LCS is simply not conducive to producing lots of new readers who just want to be casual readers of comic book characters. It's for hardcore fans who want to follow universes, and most people aren't going to get into that.

Fantastic Member

Wow... i actually expected Immortal Hulk to have way less than that, but 87 000 copies? While #18 was 75 000?

I am genuinely curious to see where this all goes, will IH be able to keep that 70-80k range going forward.
    Last edited by Subzero89; 06-10-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Why is champions doing so bad?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Well, DC did try to diversify a few years ago with the DCYou initiative, but it turned out people didn't want to read comics about the Green Team.

The future of the comics biz is OUTSIDE of the LCS, unfortunately. The LCS is simply not conducive to producing lots of new readers who just want to be casual readers of comic book characters. It's for hardcore fans who want to follow universes, and most people aren't going to get into that.
    Well you get that when you use a long DEAD property.
    Don't forget some of those books fell victim to EDITORS like Cyborg, Batgirl & Green Lantern Lost Army.
    And that is NOT an excuse to not try again like they are NOT doing now.

That's why the DC Rebirth initiative was launched right after DCYou's failure. It allowed DC to refocus on their most popular characters -- even publishing them twice a month for awhile.
    And how well did that do with so many of those POPULAR guys packing BINS?
    Like it was said earlier DC relies on a select few. That is an issue because you are missing out so many others.

Right 30 of Amazon's Super Hero book sales are DC. 21 are Baman centric. 3 have him in the cast. The rest? Superman, Shazam, Aquaman, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, Kingdom Come & Damian's Teen Titans vol 1. Not one DC female nor DC POC. The first POC does not show up until the 500s after that the next one is in the 5000.

Marvel has 40. Because of the X-Men movie 8 are X-Men related to Jean. Deapool, Cable, Hulk, Cho Hulk, Miles, Panther, Carol, Khan, Jane, Odin, Thanos, GOTG, Antman, Peter Parker, Spider-Man Noir, Infinity War & Thunderbolts.
    5 are about the Hulk. Ewing's run has re-sparked interest in Planet Hulk. This does not count Star Wars.

Oh for teens???? Not ONE current DC title. Movie Wonder Woman, old Hal book, upcoming Raven book & Jeff Smith's Shazam.
    Other wise it's My Hero Academia and Miles Morales, Gwen, Ms Marvel, Moon Girl, Marvel Rising, Cho Hulk, Rocket Raccoon, X-Men & GOTG.

The Marvel buffet is working better outside of comic book stores. DC has issues. Pander to that comic book crowd-who is ready to boycott because of Wally West or look beyond them as soon as you can.

You have a roster of guys that are viewed as the hate magnets for certain folks.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knight27 View Post
    It lost steam overtime, specially with Waid leaving, and the relaunch was poorly timed, since it didn't change anything, just gave the readers an excuse to check out.

In fact, it's sales numbers have improved slightly since the relaunch. They really should've relaunched when Zub took over though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    In fact, it's sales numbers have improved slightly since the relaunch. They really should've relaunched when Zub took over though.
    I can get keeping the same numbering when it's a title that can take it (like Spider-Man, Batman, etc.) but for once I think there should've been a clearer distinction between Waid and Zub's Champions.

BANNED

It’s pretty sad becuase champions is pretty good right now since Zub took over

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can get keeping the same numbering when it's a title that can take it (like Spider-Man, Batman, etc.) but for once I think there should've been a clearer distinction between Waid and Zub's Champions.
    I mean, look at issue 18's cover. It just screams final issue, doesn't it? Waid actually had to go on Twitter and tell us it wasn't cancelled.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

new unestablished IP

i mean even kamala's not doing so hot.