Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2019 sales

True. Like I said in the Champions Appreciation thread, look at Young Justice. Selling much better. Why? Because the IP was established two decades ago.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Well, as promised, here's a link to this month's Hulk numbers:
    https://www.comicboards.com/php/show...&layout=thread

There's a breadcrumb trail if you want to go back further than just IMMORTAL.

Folks, welcome to Monthly Sales Fight Club.

The first rule of Monthly Sales Fight Club is: You do not talk about Monthly Sales Fight Club.

The second rule of Monthly Sales Fight Club is:You do not talk about Monthly Sales Fight Club.

Third rule of Monthly Sales Fight Club: Someone yells "Stop!", goes limp, taps out, the fight is over.

Fourth rule: Only two to a fight.

Fifth rule: One fight at a time.

Sixth rule: You can say books need to be cancelled and you can make a list of what books you think Marvel should keep making but you can't outright say what books Marvel should cancel.

Seventh rule: Fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Monthly Sales Fight Club, you have to fight!
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-11-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Eh, not many punters this month it seems. Perhaps we've finally reached a consensus? Things are bad to say the least. The sales of Champions and related books are a joke. While nobody seems game to even talk about War of the Realms, in what might be Marvel's worst performing event this side of 1996. All we need now is for Marvel to blame all their bad decisions on cosmic manipulations from Doctor Manhattan and the cycle will be complete.

Maybe the Champions line just leans more towards digital and trade sales (with the exception of Miles Morales)? Those aren't reflected in these numbers.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

I genuinely wonder if War of the Realms is one of Marvels worst preforming events. Not only is it highly uneventful(pun intended), it's also seems to be reflected in the sales. Also you really don't hear anyone talking about it. It's a pretty crappy, rushed event with no clear structure. It seems like it's only purpose is to exist as an event because Marvel needs to do 15 events a year or something and it needs to lead into Thor somehow regaining his hammer in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    I genuinely wonder if War of the Realms is one of Marvels worst preforming events. Not only is it highly uneventful(pun intended), it's also seems to be reflected in the sales. Also you really don't hear anyone talking about it. It's a pretty crappy, rushed event with no clear structure. It seems like it's only purpose is to exist as an event because Marvel needs to do 15 events a year or something and it needs to lead into Thor somehow regaining his hammer in the end.
    I thought that was Age Of X-Man?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

1.Maybe everyone knows that Marvel is bringing the Young Avengers back and The Champions have been reduced to a lame duck?

2.Maybe DC's teen heroes have closer connections to their adult counterparts and are actually sidekicks, a word Marvel is terrified of.

3. Marvel wants to have its own sidekick team, but doesn't want sidekicks.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-12-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I mean both kinda are.

Yeah, Age of X-Man is a total flop. Major X #1 came out in April, and sold more copies in May (i.e. reorders) than any of the AOXM books!

1.Maybe everyone knows that Marvel is bringing the Young Avengers back and The Champions have been reduced to a lame duck?

2.Maybe DC's teen heroes have closer connections to their adult counterparts and are actually sidekicks, a word Marvel is terrified of.

They can co-exist. Though Wiccan is on Strikeforce, so I don't think the YA are coming back as a team. They are finally starting to use the individual members more though.

Mighty Member

Not a fan of Champions, but the last issues were good. For me the real problem is the name. If you call them Young Avengers, and you add Hawkeye, Wiccan and Hulkling (the most popular characters) it can work..
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Incredible Member

But individual Champions like Ms Marvel and Miles Morales-Spider-Man are bigger than any of the Young Avengers, heck it's they're probably bigger than all the various Young Avengers combined.

So yeah it's strange that when you put them with Amadeus Cho who had a decent following as the Hulk and Sam Alexander who has some fans their team book wont sell. Maybe the book is actually somehow less than the sums of its parts or perhaps it does sell outside single issue floppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    But individual Champions like Ms Marvel and Miles Morales-Spider-Man are bigger than any of the Young Avengers, heck it's they're probably bigger than all the various Young Avengers combined.
    That they're probably more popular then Kate Bishop feels kind of...cathartic in a way ?
    So yeah it's strange that when you put them with Amadeus Cho who had a decent following as the Hulk and Sam Alexander who has some fans their team book wont sell. Maybe the book is actually somehow less than the sums of its parts or perhaps it does sell outside single issue floppies.
    Cho had a decent following as a Hulk but it was about on par with Sam Wilson as Cap. Probably not enough to support a long-term run, especially by the end. I wonder how many people actually care about him as "Brawn," but I always think Cho is more popular as Cho then just trying to make him a normal Superhero.

Sam has fans but he definitely can't sell a book to save his life anymore. No Nova can.

All-New Member Phoenix_Renegade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knight27 View Post
    Why is champions doing so bad?
    Nobody needs them. & no one asked about them.

Stop putting in our mouths all that is not tasty and not popular.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Is #2 really the case? I feel like most of the connections are just lip service at this point since it feels like DC’s teen heroes barely
    interact with thier adult counterparts