3 Doomsday Clock #10 $4.99 DC
    4 The Batman Who Laughs #5 $4.99 DC
    5 Savage Avengers #1 $4.99 Marvel
    6 The Immortal Hulk #17 $3.99 Marvel
    7 Amazing Spider-Man #21 $3.99 Marvel
    8 War Of Realms #3 $4.99 Marvel
    9 War Of Realms #4 $4.99 Marvel
    10 Batman #70 $3.99 DC
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 06-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Batman, Batman...cover with Batman on it .

Guess it's good DCeased is doing well, even if I personally just have no interest in it as a title.

Hulk keeps outselling Batman? Guess I shouldn't be surprised if they give King the boot even before #85. Though it would crack me up if it keeps outselling it even after King's gone.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-07-2019 at 09:29 AM.

BANNED

Finally! Cyborg is number 1!!

Here's what I found interesting:

DOLLAR SHARE:
    Marvel - 40.46%
    DC - 28.22%

UNIT SHARE:
    Marvel - 39.75%
    DC - 38.58%

NEW TITLES SHIPPED:
    Marvel - 118 comics + 36 graphic novels = 154 titles
    DC - 60 comics + 33 graphic novels = 93 titles

So, even though Marvel shipped almost twice as many comics as DC (118 vs 60), Marvel's Unit Share was only 1.17% higher.

However, the dollar share was a lot higher for Marvel due to their higher output, generally higher prices, and the fact that they shipped 2 Omnibuses at $125 each.

Still, it does seem that Marvel's flooding the market with floppies isn't really producing any real noticeable difference in Sales Volume vs. DC.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Still, it does seem that Marvel's flooding the market with floppies isn't really producing any real noticeable difference in Sales Volume vs. DC.
    I wondered about something similar on the Marvel forum and someone pointed out the Year of the Villain one shot. It is not shown in the charts but it may be counted in the market share. I don't know exactly how much a difference that makes.

But, yes, it does not seem like flooding the shelves is doing much to raise sales over all. I hope Marvel sees something in DCs approach and follows suit. Fewer, but more profitable, titles should be better for both the publishers and retailers and hopefully commitment in that model sees a growth in the market as readers can make sense of the hobby again.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's what I found interesting:

DOLLAR SHARE:
    Marvel - 40.46%
    DC - 28.22%

UNIT SHARE:
    Marvel - 39.75%
    DC - 38.58%

NEW TITLES SHIPPED:
    Marvel - 118 comics + 36 graphic novels = 154 titles
    DC - 60 comics + 33 graphic novels = 93 titles

So, even though Marvel shipped almost twice as many comics as DC (118 vs 60), Marvel's Unit Share was only 1.17% higher.

However, the dollar share was a lot higher for Marvel due to their higher output, generally higher prices, and the fact that they shipped 2 Omnibuses at $125 each.

So how do you count unit share?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hulk keeps outselling Batman? Guess I shouldn't be surprised if they give King the boot even before #85. Though it would crack me up if it keeps outselling it even after King's gone.
    I am not all that interested in Hulk numbers, what has caught my eye is that Amazing Spider-Man #21 sold more. Unless ASM sales jumped 15K from #20 it might mean Batman dropped a lot. With Last Knight on Earth and DCeased, and even the success of Batman Who Laughs, some retailers may have looked at the number of back issues still sitting there for Batman and reacted, which DC would have already known about when they made the decision to change plans.

Incredible Member

Honest question here: Can somebody explain to me why flooding the market is bad?

BANNED

Wow... I didn't expect DCeased to sell that well, even if that was the only comics that i bought last month... lol Nice Nice Let there be darkness !!! madness !!! destruction !!! and terror !!! lol
    Last edited by Gurz; 06-07-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Honest question here: Can somebody explain to me why flooding the market is bad?
    Keep in mind that this is not in response to an increase in demand. There are the same number of stores, the same number of readers.

For retailers it is bad because the market becomes real fickle as readers are constantly enticed by the next new hot thing and have so many options they can be quick to drop whatever they are reading. So stores are either running a subscription service pickup location or they risk taking a loss on a title if even one or two shelf copies of a low selling book sit unsold, never mind having to deal with the order forms each month. Brian Hibbs has written a column for various websites called Tilting at Windmills which has touched on this topic a lot.

Even for the publisher that does it, it just diminishes the return on investment. It rarely leads to any growth in readers or the market as it just spreads the current readership thinner across more titles. Engaging in practices that bring losses to retailers (who are the publishers direct customer) means the retailer has less money to invest in new products from the publisher next month, which can perpetuate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Wow... I didn't expect DCeased to sell that well, even if that was the only comics that i bought last month... lol Nice Nice Let there be darkness !!! madness !!! destraction !!! and terror !!! lol
    From what I heard it also had some huge incentive variant cover push. And I mean huge.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am not all that interested in Hulk numbers, what has caught my eye is that Amazing Spider-Man #21 sold more. Unless ASM sales jumped 15K from #20 it might mean Batman dropped a lot. With Last Knight on Earth and DCeased, and even the success of Batman Who Laughs, some retailers may have looked at the number of back issues still sitting there for Batman and reacted, which DC would have already known about when they made the decision to change plans.
    I think ASM probably went up because of the "Hunted" event story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think ASM probably went up because of the "Hunted" event story.
    Maybe, but it was part 5 of 6 and I don't see much of a (or any) reorder of 17 or 18 in April.

BANNED

What is the largest units sold in this decade?