Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default You get to be a level 6 D&D character in the real world

You get to be any player race and class found in the players Handbook D&D 5E books. You get 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 stats to put where you please, and once you do approximate equivalents of those stats become yours. This means that, for example, if you're now a brilliant accountant, and pick intelligence as your dump-stat, you still remember your accountant training, but it becomes hard to put into practice with any sort of speed or creativity.

You get an approximation of your Hit-Points rather than actual Hit-Points, as you are still bound by realistic anatomy. In practice this means that with an extraordinarily high Constitution you might end up as tough as a gorilla, maybe even a bear, but if you're stabbed in the carotid artery, you will still bleed out in seconds like a normal person.

You have a healing factor that only kicks in when you sleep, with one hour of sleep being the equivalent of two weeks in the hospital. You can still permanently lose limbs and suffer scaring, though you will only scar to the degree of someone skillfully stitched up even if you go to sleep without stitching up.

If you pick a non-human race, you become a version of that race that resembles the real you. In other words, if you pick Half-Orc, you end up as a Half-Orc that is about as close to looking like the human you were as Thanos does to looking like Josh Brolin.

You're Charisma score manifests as a combination of looks and instinctive social skills. Pick a high Charisma and even a Half-Orc has a kind of cute-monster look to him, as well as an instinct for the right blend of expression and body language and tone of voice needed to make most people look past your looks. Pick a low Charisma and even if you stay human, you look like your own Drivers License photo or worse, and you just can't remember all the little social tricks you used to and are now kind of annoying no matter how hard you try.

Other than that, you pretty much get what the book says you get in terms of powers and abilities. You also get a completely random set of loot that is comparable to what you would typically get if you leveled to 6 as that class in an actual game. It appears in your closet or other convenient location.

The world remains completely the same, and will react to you in a completely realistic manner.

What do you chose?

Are Aasimar viable as a choice ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Human, Cleric.

Can cast 3rd level spells. All I need.

Plus the loot, mind you....

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Are Aasimar viable as a choice ?
    Players Handbook races only.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Do I gain XP from killing things?

Only if they're a legit threat to you and only if it's part of a cause. Because you have realistic anatomy and because you are the only unnatural being in the world, the chances of you gaining more than one or two levels before either dying or being crippled is very low.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 06-08-2019 at 04:35 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Druid. I choose my stats in a way I feel approximates my own (at least by prioritization).
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Druid. I choose my stats in a way I feel approximates my own (at least by prioritization).
    Don't want to trouble you for details if you don't want to share, but I'm curious: why Druid, specifically? As in, is there anything in particular that made you pick this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    Don't want to trouble you for details if you don't want to share, but I'm curious: why Druid, specifically? As in, is there anything in particular that made you pick this?
    Being able to become a T-Rex not enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    I like healing spells for use in the modern day (including things like 'cure disease' and other such spells, some of which could be handy in my own life). But I hate the whole allegiance to a deity thing that Clerics have going for them, so I'm better off with 'communing with the spirit of nature or whatever, and getting power from it'.

Speak with animals and such would also be nice. Basically, it gives some interesting and actually useful spells (mostly the healing stuff) without having to get into pledging loyalty to a deity.

Edit: granted, I'm not sure how things work in 5e, so maybe I wouldn't like that either. I'm basing my opinion off of 3.5.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I don't want to get shot, which could actually happen if I do the Dino-Change. Even in Canada. ^_^
    Why are we here?

I like healing spells for use in the modern day (including things like 'cure disease' and other such spells, some of which could be handy in my own life). But I hate the whole allegiance to a deity thing that Clerics have going for them, so I'm better off with 'communing with the spirit of nature or whatever, and getting power from it'.

Speak with animals and such would also be nice. Basically, it gives some interesting and actually useful spells (mostly the healing stuff) without having to get into pledging loyalty to a deity.

Edit: granted, I'm not sure how things work in 5e, so maybe I wouldn't like that either. I'm basing my opinion off of 3.5.
    Just so you know, 5e Clerics can now be clerics of a philosophy rather than a named god.

Just so you know, 5e Clerics can now be clerics of a philosophy rather than a named god.
    Well, that's something. And a little odd for D&D; did they get too many complaints about Paganism or something?

Still would go with Druid, unless they've been savagely altered in 5e into something I really don't recognize.
    Why are we here?

I'm no expert, but I don't think a level 6 Druid can turn into a T-Rex. Unless it's a really small T-Rex.

Ah, I knew there was some thought process going into this that I wasn't considering. Makes sense, thanks for explaining.

Now that's pretty cool.

I was a going to go with Druid myself, and retire to the Northwest woods (disappearing forever from the sight of man), except I noticed "Remove Blindness" wasn't on the 3rd level Druid spell list.

So chose Cleric instead.

When I become a hermit in the deep woods, I'd like to leave my eyeglasses behind. I wasn't sure "Remove Disease" would do it.