Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Human Cleric most likely. I’m fairly religious so if it translates to that I’m fine, and I like the idea of helping people/curing them.

Paladin maybe (they can heal too) but not so sure about the killing thing.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    I'm no expert, but I don't think a level 6 Druid can turn into a T-Rex. Unless it's a really small T-Rex.

Ah, I knew there was some thought process going into this that I wasn't considering. Makes sense, thanks for explaining.
    I usually have some bizarre reason or another. No problemo. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    I was a going to go with Druid myself, and retire to the Northwest woods (disappearing forever from the sight of man), except I noticed "Remove Blindness" wasn't on the 3rd level Druid spell list.

So chose Cleric instead.

When I become a hermit in the deep woods, I'd like to leave my eyeglasses behind. I wasn't sure "Remove Disease" would do it.
    Is Cure Deafness on the list? Or is that rolled up under 'Cure Disease'?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Is Cure Deafness on the list? Or is that rolled up under 'Cure Disease'?
    Remove Blindness/Deafness; same spell, but the cleric may need to specify which he wants his deity to grant.

I, personally, see no reason why "Remove Disease" and/or "Cure Wounds" wouldn't work, especially as a combo, but I'd not chance it. So: cleric.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 06-10-2019 at 03:52 PM.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    You get to be any player race and class found in the players Handbook D&D 5E books.
    Oh pthbt. I haven't read 5th Edition. I don't know how to break it as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Just so you know, 5e Clerics can now be clerics of a philosophy rather than a named god.
    You could do that in 3.5 too.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

You can get into all sorts of hijinks as a Wizard with Invisibility, Haste and Lightning Bolt.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Cleric of seems worth it. Even if I have to attach myself to a deity, at least it would be one that is objectively real, and there are enough to choose from I'm sure I could find one I like. The healing stuff just wins out any real life applications.

At higher levels the arcane casters could swing it with teleport type stuff, but this seems like the right pick for me.

I would like that healing factor now. I just got my thumbnail chopped off.

Again.

Remove Blindness/Deafness; same spell, but the cleric may need to specify which he wants his deity to grant.

I, personally, see no reason why "Remove Disease" and/or "Cure Wounds" wouldn't work, especially as a combo, but I'd not chance it. So: cleric.
    Crap. If Druids can't manage this, I'm stuck with Cleric, then. I guess I'll go with 'Cleric of a philosophy' that Beadle mentions. Something peaceful and naturalistic, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    You can get into all sorts of hijinks as a Wizard with Invisibility, Haste and Lightning Bolt.
    I'm honestly at a loss to think of what this offers me, in terms of 'having a good life and not hurting others in the doing'.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Well they did mention it was for getting into all sorts of hijinks, not for having a good life...

That aside, invisibility and haste isn't too bad. Evading detection can avoid a lot of hassle without causing serious harm to others, and haste doubles your speed, which can be very useful.

Lightning bolt, even if it's a fraction of real lightning in terms of energy, could still result in massive savings on your electricity bill! Assuming you could store the energy, of course.

Well they did mention it was for getting into all sorts of hijinks, not for having a good life...

That aside, invisibility and haste isn't too bad. Evading detection can avoid a lot of hassle without causing serious harm to others, and haste doubles your speed, which can be very useful.
    I get what you're going for, here. Point is, I don't actually need to avoid detection. Doubling my speed, unless I'm trying for the Olympics, is pretty pointless to me as well.

These things are important for people who are living in a fantasy world and going out and killing stuff for 'a living'. That's not where I am. ^_^ They might also be a good choice for an investigative reporter going into the Sudan and trying to record the atrocities, so I'm not saying they're utterly useless for our world. They're just -- relatively speaking, in comparison to all kinds of other spells -- useless for ME, hence my comment about being at a loss for what they would offer me. I mean, shits and giggles is all very good, but I can get my shits and giggles out of stuff I can buy here, in the world, with whatever monetary benefits I get from having Clerical Spells PLUS enjoy better health, fix some problems, etc, etc.

Really, the thing is that when I read these threads I try to take them seriously and answer the OP in a serious way: what WOULD I really, actually choose for the real world if I could?

Mileage totally may vary; this is just for me. It does make me wonder what's going through the heads of those choosing these things, but I admit there could be real world reasons! ^_^

Lightning bolt, even if it's a fraction of real lightning in terms of energy, could still result in massive savings on your electricity bill! Assuming you could store the energy, of course.
    Storage would be a big issue (but not impossible), and I'm honestly sure there are less...complicated ways to use magic to make money/save energy (continual light for lightbulbs works just fine, assuming that spell still exists in 5e, as an example). ^_^ I get what you're saying, and I guess if one lived in a place where one was in so much fear of one's life that one might want to have a two-shot, really-slow-to-fire, massive collateral damage/potential danger to onlookers hidden cannon up one's sleeve...oh, wait, no. I don't think that sounds too good at all. O_o

Basically, stuff like 'lightning bolt', 'magic missile' (which would be the best of the bunch -- fast, autotargeting, and precise), 'fireball', whatever (ie 'attack' spells) are pretty low on the totem pole as 'things I'd like to know if I have a choice between them and something else'. ^_^ Especially since quite a few of them are, as noted, somewhat dangerous for people in the area beyond the target....
    Why are we here?

Half-Elf Ranger (Hunter), I like trail running, and being outdoors in general.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I get what you're going for, here. Point is, I don't actually need to avoid detection. Doubling my speed, unless I'm trying for the Olympics, is pretty pointless to me as well.

These things are important for people who are living in a fantasy world and going out and killing stuff for 'a living'. That's not where I am. ^_^ They might also be a good choice for an investigative reporter going into the Sudan and trying to record the atrocities, so I'm not saying they're utterly useless for our world. They're just -- relatively speaking, in comparison to all kinds of other spells -- useless for ME, hence my comment about being at a loss for what they would offer me. I mean, shits and giggles is all very good, but I can get my shits and giggles out of stuff I can buy here, in the world, with whatever monetary benefits I get from having Clerical Spells PLUS enjoy better health, fix some problems, etc, etc.

Really, the thing is that when I read these threads I try to take them seriously and answer the OP in a serious way: what WOULD I really, actually choose for the real world if I could?

Mileage totally may vary; this is just for me. It does make me wonder what's going through the heads of those choosing these things, but I admit there could be real world reasons! ^_^
    I agree with this, of course. My comment was more addressing the fact that those spells are not bad in the real world (since you mentioned they'd have zero utility for you). They have plenty of utility for the average person. I can see them as ranging from minor quality of life upgrades to being able to meet several common life goals, depending on how creative you can get and where you draw the ethical lines, so to speak.

Obviously being able to cure yourself or others of illnesses is far better than merely doubling your speed, but I'm just looking at this in isolation. ^_^

Now, these spells might not do anything for you specifically, of course. So this is more of a general comment on those spells.

Storage would be a big issue (but not impossible), and I'm honestly sure there are less...complicated ways to use magic to make money/save energy (continual light for lightbulbs works just fine, assuming that spell still exists in 5e, as an example). ^_^ I get what you're saying, and I guess if one lived in a place where one was in so much fear of one's life that one might want to have a two-shot, really-slow-to-fire, massive collateral damage/potential danger to onlookers hidden cannon up one's sleeve...oh, wait, no. I don't think that sounds too good at all. O_o

Basically, stuff like 'lightning bolt', 'magic missile' (which would be the best of the bunch -- fast, autotargeting, and precise), 'fireball', whatever (ie 'attack' spells) are pretty low on the totem pole as 'things I'd like to know if I have a choice between them and something else'. ^_^ Especially since quite a few of them are, as noted, somewhat dangerous for people in the area beyond the target....
    Oh, absolutely. Not only are firearms more effective than fireballs, depending on the level, what situation does anyone expect to encounter in their daily life where attacking with a fire/lightning/magic bolt is a good idea?

Maybe there's a niche for that in someone's life, who knows?

The point is that lightning, specifically, has some actual potential utility outside of just blasting people (assuming you don't already have a spell that does a better job at generating energy for your use).
    Last edited by Sol_M; 06-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

What do you chose?
    Hmm...

Well, I...

Players Handbook races only.
    ... petition the dm to allow official published material as well.

Otherwise, immediately leaning towards shadow monk or lore bard.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Being able to become a T-Rex not enough for you?
    One level shy of being able to cast polymorph, I'm afraid, and two levels shy of being able to use it to turn yourself into a T-Rex.

I'm no expert, but I don't think a level 6 Druid can turn into a T-Rex.
    That would be correct.

I was a going to go with Druid myself, and retire to the Northwest woods (disappearing forever from the sight of man), except I noticed "Remove Blindness" wasn't on the 3rd level Druid spell list.

So chose Cleric instead.

When I become a hermit in the deep woods, I'd like to leave my eyeglasses behind. I wasn't sure "Remove Disease" would do it.
    Crap. If Druids can't manage this, I'm stuck with Cleric, then. I guess I'll go with 'Cleric of a philosophy' that Beadle mentions. Something peaceful and naturalistic, I suppose.

I'm honestly at a loss to think of what this offers me, in terms of 'having a good life and not hurting others in the doing'.
    The 5th edition version of Lesser Restoration (which is on the Druid spell list) is your friend here (as it can cure a disease or end the blinded, deafened, paralyzed or poisoned conditions).
    This signature intentionally left blank.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Do Druids not get Wild Shape any more?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Thank you, Noldere! Back to Druid, then. ^_^
    Why are we here?