Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who is Wonder Woman to you?

I know many of us talk about a lot of Wonder Woman stuff but personally what makes you connected to the character and her world?

Wonder Woman is a fictional character that
    I have loved to follow for decades.
    I love that she is extremely beautiful
    And extremely powerful and
    Extremely loving.

Diana is the greatest of the Amazons and as a superhero is uniquely suited to challenge the status quo and change the world through love, empathy, forthrightness (in both words and actions), and the transformation of self and is therefore The Greatest Superhero The World Has Ever Known (TM).

An inspiring figure who stands for equality and the notion that you can do anything if you believe in yourself. A figure with the ability to talk people down and resolve problems which fists alone could not remedy. But fully capable of incredible feats and leaving her foes hog tied if the need arises.

A superhero of humanity, who is here to change society into something better.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

I see her first and foremost as a warrior, albeit a warrior for peace, justice, equality and empowerment.

Wonder Woman is a warrior, ambassador, princess and superhero all rolled in one.

Arrow

The epitome of the best of femininity: strength (physical, mental and ethical), resolve, loyalty, talent, compassion, and determination. In many ways, I view her as the female counterpart of Superman as in she is the ideal superheroine, the measuring stick against which all others should be judged.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-17-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

I guess firstly it would be the fact that she's, at least partially, rooted in Greek Mythology.

Secondly, it's the fact that Diana is the supreme superhero as Wonder Woman, but despite the fact that she can best pretty much any opponent in physical combat, she doesn't wilfully engage in violence and will seek to resolve conflicts another way due to her compassionate nature.

Thirdly, it's probably because she's an oddity (i.e. the only child on Themyscira, the only Amazon made from clay, (sometimes) the only female member on a team of superheroes, etc), but that ... "otherness" is a source of strength and it doesn't detract from the character or what she can accomplish.

Fourthly, if I'm being completely honest, she sometimes reminds me a little of Xena: Warrior Princess (i.e. my first and main "Warrior Princess"), but an obviously extremely different version of that character more akin to what Xena and Gabrielle's hypothetical daughter would have been like if they had one and if they'd been able to raise her to adulthood given that Wonder Woman balances Xena's supreme warrior skills with Gabrielle's compassionate nature.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I see her first and foremost as a warrior, albeit a warrior for peace, justice, equality and empowerment.

Wonder Woman is a warrior, ambassador, princess and superhero all rolled in one.
    Isn't Wonder Woman a diplomat first, warrior second?

Boisterously Confused

Wonder Woman is the emissary of a culture where women were able to explore and optimize their own power, skilled in war, but dedicated to peace, here to show us a better way.

Well, conceptually I love Wonder Woman for all the same reasons everyone else is mentioning. She's THE archetype; all the best ideals of humanity and womanhood given form. The Alpha Woman. What everyone should aspire towards. And I love her because, like all superheroes, her story is modern mythology dressed as entertainment and has that timeless/timely, grandiose element to it. I love her for many of the same reasons I love Superman. To be a fan, you have to be willing to look up.

But I love Diana for the contrasts and contradictions of her character. She believes in submission yet won't back down. Innocent and ignorant of so much, yet she has a deep, almost Dalai Lama-ish kind of wisdom. The entire Amazon philosophy of loving submission, coming from a warrior culture, is fascinating and self-contradicting in so many interesting ways, and Diana walks that strange edge between them. I've been reading her comics for over twenty years now and I still don't feel like I totally know her character. There's this sense of....being in the moment.....that provides a level of complexity, honesty, and realism to Diana that damn few, if any, other comic characters share. And it gives her so much emotional range she should be ranked up there with the best characters in literature. There's always something unknown in Diana, some new depth to explore, that keeps her engaging and intriguing and just a little mysterious. But at the same time she's consistent, she is who and what she is and she doesn't change for anyone except herself.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, conceptually I love Wonder Woman for all the same reasons everyone else is mentioning. She's THE archetype; all the best ideals of humanity and womanhood given form. The Alpha Woman. What everyone should aspire towards. And I love her because, like all superheroes, her story is modern mythology dressed as entertainment and has that timeless/timely, grandiose element to it. I love her for many of the same reasons I love Superman. To be a fan, you have to be willing to look up.

But I love Diana for the contrasts and contradictions of her character. She believes in submission yet won't back down. Innocent and ignorant of so much, yet she has a deep, almost Dalai Lama-ish kind of wisdom. The entire Amazon philosophy of loving submission, coming from a warrior culture, is fascinating and self-contradicting in so many interesting ways, and Diana walks that strange edge between them. I've been reading her comics for over twenty years now and I still don't feel like I totally know her character. There's this sense of....being in the moment.....that provides a level of complexity, honesty, and realism to Diana that damn few, if any, other comic characters share. And it gives her so much emotional range she should be ranked up there with the best characters in literature. There's always something unknown in Diana, some new depth to explore, that keeps her engaging and intriguing and just a little mysterious. But at the same time she's consistent, she is who and what she is and she doesn't change for anyone except herself.
    Question, why does everyone keep calling the Amazons a warrior culture when they do more than fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Question, why does everyone keep calling the Amazons a warrior culture when they do more than fight?
    Likely because that's how the Greeks described them, women warriors have consistently been called Amazons for a very long time, and that's how a lot of writers predominantly have depicted the Themyscirans. There is a ton of cultural inertia here.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't. I mention that she's skilled in war, as all the amazons are, but I view them as an advanced culture.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don't. I mention that she's skilled in war, as all the amazons are, but I view them as an advanced culture.
    I admit to being unfairly hyperbolic when I said everyone but that as really more directed at ascended.